Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 10:41 AM

29,468 posts, read 14,639,119 times

Advertisements

Here's the story. I was laid off on Feb. 16th this year. I applied online for UIA benefits. I still have not received anything and my claim is being investigated.
Now I've been steadily employed in the same field for 17 years. Not all with the same company's though. In 2006 I started working as a contractor for an engineering placement company. They contracted me to Honda R&D, in OH. , I worked at that location for almost 2 years. I then asked to be moved to another supplier here in MI. I was there for 5 months, then they were purchased and layoffs started happening. I was told I could possibly be laid off, no time frame or anything just that there was a possiblity. So I put my feelers out and found another supplier that wanted me to start ASAP. I talked to my contract house and at that time they had no working agreement with the supplier. The window of opportunity was closing so I had to quit the one contract house and start at another one to be placed into the supplier. It all worked out until Jan of this year and I was laid off.
So apparently my application is being investigated due to me leaving the first contract house. All I was trying to do was stay employed. Now I have the possiblity of not being able to collect because of this. I actually had to take a paycut to move to the other job.. it wasn't like I left just for the sake of leaving. As it turns out that supplier isn't even around anymore. If I would have stayed I would have been jobless.
This is just total BS.. I am so frustrated and there really isn't anyplace to call and complain too ! All I can do is wait another 6 weeks for my judgement and then protest it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 04:02 PM

693 posts, read 2,257,866 times
I feel for you, my father ran into the same situation, after calling for 2 Months, yes 2 Months, he was able to get through, although even through all of his efforts he was denied benefits (he worked at the same plant for 20 years). The state unemployment system is extremely under funded and it only gets worse every day. I was denied benefits after being laid off back in 2002, apparently I made a mistake during the application process. I can only say keep calling, your one of hundreds of thousands. Good Luck.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:48 PM

You know I do understand that we've had a huge wave of people filing for benefits, and that things could take some time. The couple of times that I actually talked to someone they were very helpful and didn't rush you to get off the phone or anything.
What does tick me off is what does quiting a job , then working at another one for 5 months have anything to do with my claim denial ? If I would have stayed at the first job I would still be unemployed , that company isn't even in existence anymore. So I did what I could to stay employed.. who would have know that things would continue to get worse and I'd get laid off from the job I thought was going to save me.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:40 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Here's the story. I was laid off on Feb. 16th this year. I applied online for UIA benefits. I still have not received anything and my claim is being investigated.
Now I've been steadily employed in the same field for 17 years. Not all with the same company's though. In 2006 I started working as a contractor for an engineering placement company. They contracted me to Honda R&D, in OH. , I worked at that location for almost 2 years. I then asked to be moved to another supplier here in MI. I was there for 5 months, then they were purchased and layoffs started happening. I was told I could possibly be laid off, no time frame or anything just that there was a possiblity. So I put my feelers out and found another supplier that wanted me to start ASAP. I talked to my contract house and at that time they had no working agreement with the supplier. The window of opportunity was closing so I had to quit the one contract house and start at another one to be placed into the supplier. It all worked out until Jan of this year and I was laid off.
So apparently my application is being investigated due to me leaving the first contract house. All I was trying to do was stay employed. Now I have the possiblity of not being able to collect because of this. I actually had to take a paycut to move to the other job.. it wasn't like I left just for the sake of leaving. As it turns out that supplier isn't even around anymore. If I would have stayed I would have been jobless.
This is just total BS.. I am so frustrated and there really isn't anyplace to call and complain too ! All I can do is wait another 6 weeks for my judgement and then protest it.
Feb 16th was just a week ago. I didn't here anything from them that soon either. You should get a monetary determination any day. I put in a claim Jan. 24 and finally after not hearing anything, just yesterday I got through on the 0017 number and the lady said the wrong box was checked on my last employer and that was the holdup. She said no one is protesting so I should get benefits today,(which hasn't happened as of yet). I don't understand why they would care about the employers before your last employer, I always thought it was just about what happened at your last job. My claim has 2 temp services before my last employer and if I repeatedly call them and they don't send me out, thats lack of work. You said you worked in Ohio, maybe thats the holdup or if you were a contractor were you getting 1099'd? Something doesn't seem right but I wouldn't give up, you'll eventually get it.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:51 PM

yeah I alway's thought it went to your last employer also ,maybe there is a certain length of time you have to be there , if not they go to the previous one ? I did receive a letter telling me that I made enough money to qualify, it's just this other thing holding it up. Even though I was in OH, our office was here in MI. Paid MI taxes and all that , so that shouldn't be an issue.
I guess time will tell.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:01 PM

1 posts, read 8,409 times
Default scarabchuck

It would seem to me Scarabchuck even though you quick your 1st contract and moved to another you should have enought to be able to claim unemployment you would need to justify why and that the previous contract house is laying off or out of business..then you should be able to get a new claim if that is denied for lack of months worked you should fall under one of the extensions. Take care WDD.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:52 AM

5 posts, read 24,607 times
this can be a complete PITA I know, but sometimes when you call the 800 # for UIA you can get another person that's more helpful. I had a problem with my claim last year and I called in and the 2nd guy I got said he didn't know why my claim was being investigated and got it approved same day. All I'm saying is, calling back sometimes gets a different answer.

Quote:

Old 03-02-2010, 07:21 PM

103 posts, read 344,623 times
I was a contractor most of my work life and was unemployed along the way. I never had any problem getting unemployment when I was laid off.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:26 PM

I actually ended up getting UIA , 4 months later. There was an apparent issue due to the fact that I quit the first job (found another ) even though I was told I would eventually be laid off. It investigated and bounced around, basically slipping thru the cracks. I eventually got ahold of someone really helpful and it got done. Was unemployed for close to 9 months. I'm happy to say I am employed again !

Old 07-31-2013, 07:40 AM

1 posts, read 4,919 times
Quote:
Join the crowd.... I called 3x each time was informed my case would be reviewed and redetermination sent anytime now.. Well as of today its been 3 months and 3 days. Absolutely BS that MI can get away with this, we do everything they tell us and they do NOTHING but hold up our money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan