Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 09:42 AM

3 posts, read 7,634 times

Advertisements

Sorry if I interupted your thread. I did register but got no email and can't find where to log in so this reply if simply a test to see if I really an registered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 09:44 AM

3 posts, read 7,634 times
Guess I'm in. Sorry. : )

Old 07-27-2011, 10:21 AM

11 posts, read 31,161 times
Hello....I know this is a really old thread...but we are looking into moving to the St Joseph area as well...my DH is looking into a job there (whirlpool)....We also have a child with special needs...high functioning Autism and I was wondering if anyone can give me any advice on what area around St Joseph to live? My DH wouldn't mind a commute of about 30 minutes..but I really don't want it to be more than that. I've basically heard to stay out of Benton Harbor, and that St Joseph is snooty...but how snooty? There are snooty people everywhere. Thanks.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:28 AM

7,442 posts, read 6,966,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photomama05 View Post
Hello....I know this is a really old thread...but we are looking into moving to the St Joseph area as well...my DH is looking into a job there (whirlpool)....We also have a child with special needs...high functioning Autism and I was wondering if anyone can give me any advice on what area around St Joseph to live? My DH wouldn't mind a commute of about 30 minutes..but I really don't want it to be more than that. I've basically heard to stay out of Benton Harbor, and that St Joseph is snooty...but how snooty? There are snooty people everywhere. Thanks.
I was in the area last week and drove right by the whirlpool headquarters on 63.

I'm an outsider so won't try to give too much advice, but I would simply say you have a lot of options within a 30 minute drive, from quite rural to small towns like South Haven and Coloma. Now, the rural and smaller towns may not have the services you want or need, but make sure you look around. I wouldn't get tracked into only St. Joseph/BH.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:56 PM

358 posts, read 1,058,199 times
St Joe is not snooty. It is a decent town with a fantastic beach, and is a good place to live. You should start looking close to where your DH works because winter commuting can be a challenge. You can do it but unless you know how to drive in snow, I would try to keep the commute short. You can also look at Stevensville and any of the suburban towns, especially south of St. Joe. I don't really know much about the schools but I believe that both St. Joe and Stevensville schools are good.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:39 PM

107 posts, read 355,944 times
Once more I just came back from visiting up there and people were very VERY friendly to us! I was looking at wine selections in Martins' when a lady walked up to me and said "You should really try the Witch's brew" and told me more about it... and other people will chat and carry on like they know you. Sorry but anybody who says they are snotty are full of themselves. One of the main reasons we keep coming back is the main reason we come back - This town is friendly-warm and it feels like home to me!

Old 10-21-2013, 07:57 PM

2 posts, read 3,757 times
I've lived in St. Joseph most of my life. Believe me, you don't want to live in Benton Harbor! St. Joe itself and south from there (St. Joe township, Stevensville, Royalton township etc) have newer and much better houses and schools especially.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,198 times
I lived in St. Joe when I was a child, we went to shop in downtown St. Joseph and if we didn't find what we needed, we went to downtown Benton Harbor to the Sears store! We went to the movies in Benton Harbor, my Dad's office was in Benton Harbor and I don't ever remember having problems with the people of BH, I thought we were all the same, and it was cool to have 2 downtowns to shop in!!! We would walk the main street of both downtowns and never felt afraid of anything or anyone. I know that was in the early 60's, but I just don't remember any racial tension there. I hear there are all kinds now. I read a book a couple of years ago (I am trying to find this book about Benton Harbor - if anyone knows which book it is please post). that said something to the fact that the black people were not allowed across the bridge for the Blossom Time parade?? This makes me sick, why would a town be like that?? Maybe as a child I didn't see prejudice, and I am ashamed to say I did live in a town that was. I loved St. Joe/Benton Harbor, I like to call it home, but it is sad to think the people of St. Joe are snooty and snotty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan