Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 09:19 PM

760 posts, read 2,440,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by us2indaup View Post
I have about 30 Realty websites I check almost daily, including UPMLS. Our own home is listed on UPMLS, but it is also on Realtor.com. I figure if I check them all, hopefully I won't miss any new listings

Thanks!
So what area you looking at now? Munising to your present location to a possible further U.P. location?? Pretty soon you are going to have to set up your own western U.P. advice site so we can all ask you our many questions!
So far the furthest west I've been is L'anse south to about 20 miles south of Republic. This summer we'll be going up to Copper Harbor (my grandmothers orders before she died) and we would like to get in a trip to the Porkies soon.
I haven't a clue what to see in the southwest corner but have heard it's beautiful. My wife wants to get in a trip to Green Bay, WI soon just 'cause we've never been there before (don't tell her but I could care less! Not a city person! Now that I think of it she usually isn't either. Must be her evil coworkers influence! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 12:26 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Default UP North

Well , I just made an offer on 7.4 acres in N Sands Township ( 3 miles from Marquette). Can't wait to get ground work started , and hopefully a house up before the snow flys ! Been going to the UP for over 30 years, and now..........have made a choice..........to retire there. I like Marquette, just the right mix of people and services. I have never seen so many eating places in such a small city ! A very Progressive place, and that suites me just fine !
I am concerned about the snow machines , but , I guess that's the price you pay for living in paradise !

Old 04-23-2007, 01:02 AM

188 posts, read 811,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Well , I just made an offer on 7.4 acres in N Sands Township ( 3 miles from Marquette). Can't wait to get ground work started , and hopefully a house up before the snow flys ! Been going to the UP for over 30 years, and now..........have made a choice..........to retire there. I like Marquette, just the right mix of people and services. I have never seen so many eating places in such a small city ! A very Progressive place, and that suites me just fine !
I am concerned about the snow machines , but , I guess that's the price you pay for living in paradise !
Hi darstar

Hope all works out well for you mate, yes indeed a nice part of the world the UP is.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieMale View Post
Hi darstar

Hope all works out well for you mate, yes indeed a nice part of the world the UP is.
What ever it is , IS ! I have lived in Chicago, Florida , NC Mts. , Atlanta, Detroit, Mpls. Iowa , Nebraska, among other places ,....so , this is the last one on my list..........I think I saved the BEST for last !

Old 04-23-2007, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
What ever it is , IS ! I have lived in Chicago, Florida , NC Mts. , Atlanta, Detroit, Mpls. Iowa , Nebraska, among other places ,....so , this is the last one on my list..........I think I saved the BEST for last !
Hi again

I see you have been around ,im not to far behind you still not sure what side of the Menominee river we are gonna live on yet.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Hi again

I see you have been around ,im not to far behind you still not sure what side of the Menominee river we are gonna live on yet.
I looked all over the UP , and N. Wi. as well as took the 1200 mi. circle tour of Superior several times. This is what I found;
Eastern UP; very flat, sort of boring, towns are far apart,few jobs,culture.
Western UP; Great eleviations,some jobs,pop.centers ,more to do and see.
N.Wi; Great fir fishin,closer to big citys,lacks dramatic scenery, and jobs
NE Mn. colder climate,more expensive living,great for canoe folks.
W. On. Cold, more to do ( Thunder Bay),jobs,( If you are CA)nice scenery.
E. On. , remote, few jobs,great elevations,less expensive living
Thats my quick thoughts, there is much more to say on this subject.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:39 PM

417 posts, read 1,128,713 times
Quote:
Hi mateIve been looking at multi-family properties like a 40 plex building16 plex 4 plex n so on & ill buy up single properties with long term tenants if priced rite , even buy out a real estate firm to put all the different properties on the books n make it a rental property office as well , develop my own stuff n the list goes on , but all of this is long term n if i like been a landlord from the first complex i buy, did my number on a 12 plex n the income from that will see me for life if i dont want to do anything else. I plan on buying run down properties to do up as well for income 1 or 2 a year, hell knows theres so much i can do there to make money.

:
I know you're probably aware of all the dirt-cheap duplexes and multi-family dwellings for sale on the old air force base near Gwinn. We drove through there a few years ago after the base closed, most of the former base housing seems to be for sale. I suppose, though, that they aren't particularly well built, and they're all on very small lots . Still, there should be a way to develop those properties into something profitable, don't you think?

Old 04-23-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by us2indaup View Post
I know you're probably aware of all the dirt-cheap duplexes and multi-family dwellings for sale on the old air force base near Gwinn. We drove through there a few years ago after the base closed, most of the former base housing seems to be for sale. I suppose, though, that they aren't particularly well built, and they're all on very small lots . Still, there should be a way to develop those properties into something profitable, don't you think?
Hiya us2indaup

Ive heard of the AFB properties before , but to tell the truth i have not given any time to them.
Reason been there built to a price as a short term not long term thing , then on the other hand i would not rule them out until i see them.
Then i would do my own study on the area to see if anything was in the pipeline or anything cooking on the back burner what the county would like to see happen to them & the PRICE to buy them would have to be rite , so to speak.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:28 AM

760 posts, read 2,440,980 times
Okay, having lived there from April to September of last year I'll put in my couple of words on the old air force base......... RUN...... RUN!
What landlords haven't gone into foreclosure (due to lack of tenants) eagerly take anyone in no matter what their previous history, just to earn a few bucks.
You look at some of the ones the banks have already taken back and you can get them for as cheap as $19,000.
Having lived in one of the larger duplexes for 5 months, I think they are actually very well built. The problem is that I see absolutely nothing improving the economic status of the area within the next 10 years or so. Anyone who has gained a reputation as a bad tenant in the Marquette/Negaunee/Ishepheming areas eventually end up out at the base where they just move from unit to unit 'cause the next landlord just doesn't care.
I have actually put quite a bit of thought into this because I had considered buying one, making into one large home. For $19,000 + around $3000 in materials and some sweat equity that sounds like a heck of a deal for a 6 bedroom 2 full, 2 half bath etc. etc. house. The problem is you couldn't pay me $19,000 a year to raise my kids there. No I'm not saying it's all bad and can actually be a good stepping stone to the area (which it was for us) but you couldn't pay me to live there permanently.

Last edited by jeeg; 04-24-2007 at 01:36 AM..

Old 04-24-2007, 02:38 AM

Hi jeeg

1) how far out of town are they.
2) would they work out as holiday homes to rent out during the summer months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan