Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 06:03 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,274,850 times

Advertisements

Seeing as there seems to be so many people who live in northern Michigan who contribute on the forum, I thought what better way to my answers than here.

My wife is in school to be a nurse. So when she is done getting a good job up there should not be an issue as I have seen many posts for nurses. But her and my oldest son want to move to Arizona. ( I don't get it). Anyway I've been a frequent visitor to northern Michigan since I was very young and have always wanted to live up there. The response I get from her is, " it's the boonies, there is nothing up there, nothing to do, etc etc."
So my question to you northerners is, when your not working what is it you do in your area for kicks and recreation? Stay busy, prevent boredom? Then I'm going to print the best of it and show her. Just help give me some ideas as to what life is really like and prove you don't just sit around and watch the cows graze in the fields.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 04:22 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
Well I'm more a wanna be, no personal experience. I'm sort of a homebody who enjoys nature, the outdoors. Birdfeeders, gardening, hiking, fishing etc.
But even then I don't really understand the chant There's "nothing to do" from a city perspective - do you guys really go to art shows every weekend? Mostly for people with kids its all the same everywhere - kids soccer, bake sales, etc. I guess in bigger towns there are more places to eat and shop - but I don't consider shopping "something to do". When did shopping take the place of life?

Old 04-12-2009, 04:32 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,239,745 times
I lived in Northern Michigan for the better part of 40 years. There is countless things to do, but you must enjoy the outdoors. Hiking, hunting, fishing, off-roading, are just a few, but they all require you to be outside.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:17 PM

139 posts, read 501,129 times
Well I'm not in Northern MI, more like Mid MI. But summer you will have no problem, there are many things to do outside. Unless you need a TRUE big city, for sports teams, art shows and such, you will be fine. Obviously there are still places to shop, and movies and stuff like that in some of the "smaller" towns. If you do need the big city, your 3-4 hours away from Detroit...which is annoying to me. However then comes winter, and that's why I'm not a big fan of living here. Hopefully your family enjoys snowmobiling, skiing, or snowboarding, because that's about all there is unless you plan on staying inside all day every day. Here is what sucks about a Michigan winter: It's COLD for 4 or possibly 5 months of the year. (it just snowed here a week ago), Snowy Roads annoying when your trying to get somewhere, Dry Skin, Limited activities like I mentioned above, WIND. If you've delt with snow before, you'll survive. If not, you've been warned.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:24 PM

504 posts, read 2,175,035 times
Default cows

Hmmm... not many cows up here. We watched a fox go by the other day though! Loons too...

How old is your son? I have 2 boys, and I hate to say it, but it can be difficult for us to find things for them to "do", more in the summer than the winter. During the winter, the schools do a great job having tons of things for them to do... sports, activities, clubs, etc... The schools are a big part fo small town living.

Once summer comes, and the summer folks too, most folks up here get busy making money and there isn't as much "free time".

We bought a boat our first summer here, and have really enjoyed spending time boating, fishing and doing water sports. We also enjoy beach hopping, hiking, skiing and snow shoeing in the winter. I enjoy geocaching too. But, there really are a lot of older folks up here living year round. It's kind of strange to get to know "summer folks" vs year round people. They're much more transient, which makes it hard for kids to make long lasting friendships. Also, if they get into competitive sports, they do a TON of traveling.

Probably my biggest gripe is the "lack" of medical care up here. That's why your wife would have a job, but when you need those services, we often have to travel far to get them.

Also there's this weird love/hate thing with the summer folks vs year round folks. It's a strange place to live, but that said, I'd rather live here than AZ.

Good luck.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:11 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,896,967 times
I don't live in n. Michigan, but I love it up there! I think in order to liver there you would have to have to have a strong connection to nature and the simple life. I could easily live there because I am not one who likes to go and fight the crowds, and my idea of excitement would be to go take long walks in the woods and just enjoy the wildlife, smells and peacefullness. I am not sure if its something that you can make someone like. I think its more of something inside you that is pulling you there, like its where you feel you belong. That being said, I live in the country, but only a few minutes from everything. Walmart, Meijers, Home-Depot, tons of restaurants....I would really miss just jumping in my truck and driving 2 minutes to any one of these places when I wanted. Still, the wanting to live in northern Michigan is pulling me hard! I guess some people are just drawn to warm weather like those of us who are drawn to the north. I personally would die from "seasonal change" boredom in AZ

Old 04-12-2009, 10:03 PM

265 posts, read 801,221 times
I just enjoy "being here". The clean air, friendly people, people who care about their neighbors, many natural resources like lakes and forests, hardly any crime, close the UP and Ontario. Basically small town life as I imagine it was 50 years ago in the Detroit area.

I used to live in the Detroit Metro area and decided there is no better place to live in Michigan than Up North. It takes time to establish a life here but it was worth it to me. The big cities and a lot of people drive me crazy.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:44 AM

939 posts, read 2,680,457 times
Northern Michigan is a wonderful place to live but it is not for everyone. I'm speaking about the Traverse City area as it's near where I am and the closest thing to "cosmopolitian" up here. Folks from all over Northern Michigan come to TVC for shopping, purchasing vehicles and health related issues. There is much to do year-round. This is an extremely safe area to live in. Law enforcement is stellar and they do not put up with any crap. If you run afoul of the law, you are dealt with quickly and sometimes severely. Jail time is given out like Easter candy for offenses that downstate would just get you probation. That is one thing I love about up here. Riff raff is almost non existent. Winters are obviously long and snowy. Lot's of skiing, snowmobiling, ice fishing, festivals, etc. If you are dressed correctly, you're fine. Great thing is, getting around is usually never an issue except during the heaviest snowfall. We do not have the volume of vehicular traffic that would paralyzse the area when it snows, unlike when 3" fall downstate and your 45 minute commute becomes 2+ hrs. Roads are cleared expertly and usually very quickly. Employment though, can be an issue. Hagerty Insurance, one of the largest employers in the city provide good jobs but the pay is below market value. For instance, a claims adjuster in Grand Rapids or Detroit will usually start at between $17-$20 an hr. Hagerty starts them at $12.50. Many minimum wage jobs here. Also, if you're in the legal field or healthcare, employment will not be an issue. Traverse City has over 50 law firms with offices here. Some of which are satellite offices from Grand Rapids, Chicago and Detroit. Also, many very good restaurants in the area. I've been up here 5 years and the improvement has been quite amazing, culinarily speaking. About the summer, they are absolutely spectacular. Not much severe weather, temps mostly range from the 50's at night in the more rural spots with highs in the 70's and 80's. On occassion, it'll get hot and humid for a couple of days but Lakes Michigan and Huron temper the sultriness greatly. Sunshine predominates from June thru September, the water and beaches are spectacular and by mid summer, the water can get quite warm. The last two summers, Grand Traverse Bay had water temps in the mid 70's with some spots hitting 80F for a couple of days. All in all, a great place to live if you are financially secure and can make a living. If not, life can be very difficult. Many folks live near the poverty line and on public assistance but they are concentrated in small hamlets around Northern Michigan. Personally, I cannot fathom why anyone would want to live in the desert. You didn't mention where in Arizona you'd be moving to but if it's the Phoenix, Tuscon area think it through. The heat is an obvious concern, crime and drug problems are rampant plus the proximity to the border of Mexico with the drug smuggling does nothing for the stability of the region. Best of luck where ever you decide to settle

Old 04-13-2009, 08:41 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Just to mention something not water related. I LOVE car racing on the area dirt tracks. Cheap family fun. There are tracks in every part of Michigan.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:23 AM

760 posts, read 2,440,330 times
Try reversing the question. What do you do where you are at now?
Go out to eat? Still do that up here.
Go to the movies? Check
Like to see plays/shows? Check (I personally love the local productions!)
Anything you can imagine outdoor related.... Check
Visit various fairs/festivals? Check
Vist the local music scene? Check
Visit local art galleries/shows? Check
Take community education classes to learn new things/skills? Check

About the only thing you don't have up here is abundant shopping opportunities. Then again, that is relative to the person. My wife and I find most everything we need/want locally and use the internet for anything else. Many people we know visit the big cities a couple times a year for their heavy culture/shopping dose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan