U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-21-2009, 12:45 PM

13,387 posts, read 9,830,009 times

Advertisements

How many of you remember Traverse City State Hospital?
We're in search of Nurses, Attendents and Patients from the 60's who spent time at Traverse City State Hospital( Hall-18and Hall-7, Bldg50, Childrens wards) and has a story to tell about the time they spent there. Below is a link to a forum with some patients stories from the mid-60's.

Kirkbride Buildings Forum • View topic - Forgotten Children "Hall-18, Hall-7"

photo's
Traverse City State Hospital - Kirkbride Buildings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 12:56 PM

Traverse City State Hospital

.................1920's...................
Attached Thumbnails
Forgotten Children of the 60's-1920_bldg50.jpg   Forgotten Children of the 60's-northern-michigan-asylum-insane.jpg  

Old 04-21-2009, 07:49 PM

2 posts, read 19,070 times
Wow, a first hand story, This must be a first. I have always heard haunted tales of the place. I was always told it was an insane asylum when we would drive by it. Thank you for the heads up.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:22 PM

47,586 posts, read 35,285,110 times
Great post. I remember it -- It's such beautiful but mysterious and haunting buildings, the grounds are so peaceful but I can't imagine what it was like living there. My aunt used to talk about how she would get upholstery and tailoring done there.

I would imagine the stories by people living there and other places like it would be extremely interesting - as is the one in your link. Times have changed so much. I never realized there were children kept there and I've always wondered if anyone who lived there actually liked it.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Great post. I remember it -- It's such beautiful but mysterious and haunting buildings, the grounds are so peaceful but I can't imagine what it was like living there. My aunt used to talk about how she would get upholstery and tailoring done there.

I would imagine the stories by people living there and other places like it would be extremely interesting - as is the one in your link. Times have changed so much. I never realized there were children kept there and I've always wondered if anyone who lived there actually liked it.
Some children were only there because of child behavior and their parents couldn't handle them. Others were there with a physical illness not a mental illness.
Dr.Thill hated kids a was not affraid to show it.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:11 AM

47,586 posts, read 35,285,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Some children were only there because of child behavior and their parents couldn't handle them. Others were there with a physical illness not a mental illness.
Dr.Thill hated kids a was not affraid to show it.
Things have certainly improved as far as mental health but of course there's a long way to go. Many kids today with child behavior are simply drugged today. Their parents can only "control" them by altering them with chemicals.

I think of patients who today are diagnosed with Alzheimers who were probably hauled off and locked away in those hospitals and how terrifying that must have been for them.

I think we still have big problems in how mental health is addressed and today many live on the streets or in homeless camps and shelters that are not better places and more dangerous.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:45 AM

2 posts, read 19,070 times
This story has brought on a whole range of emotions and I found myself reading it again and sharing the story with my wife. This weekend we are planning a trip to the old hospital. Thank you for sharing this link with us.
Tom Clayton

Old 04-23-2014, 02:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,317 times
I came across this thread while trying to research the building that I recently lived in for the last year on the State Hospital grounds. I lived in the recently renovated Cottage 36 which I understand used to be called Sunnyhill and was a men's ward. I haven't been able to find much more information on that particular building, but for lack of a better word I find these posts extremely fascinating. I absolutely loved living on the grounds and am a history nerd. It's a beautiful place, but I always wondered what really happened behind those walls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan