Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 04:18 PM

902 posts, read 1,925,668 times

Advertisements

Michigan on Tuesday became one of four states offering an enhanced driver's license/state identification card to citizens to ease security concerns and travel times between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean.
The EDL acts as a driver's license and as a "mini-passport," eliminating the need for Michigan residents to show a passport or birth certificate to leave and re-enter the United States.
Here's what you should know:

Q . How does the card work?
A . The EDL contains a radio frequency identification chip with a randomly chosen number that represents the owner. Hold up the card as you approach the booth, and the border agent's computer will read the chip.
Q . Then what?
A . The computer pulls up information about you, including your name, citizenship, residence, age, etc.
Q . What else can it tell the agent?
A . It can flag the agent if you're wanted by the police.
Q . So once the EDL is read I can just breeze right through?
A . Agents may wave you through, stop you for a few seconds to check out your vehicle, or they may question you at length, including searching your vehicle, if they feel something isn't right.
Q . Can other computers read my EDL?
A . No. Each card comes with a security envelope that prevents it from being read.
Q . Can I still travel to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean if I don't have an EDL?
A . Absolutely, but you'll have to carry multiple forms of identification or a passport.
Q . What about minors?
A . Juveniles who possess a valid Michigan driver's license can obtain the new EDL, which will come on a vertically displayed license. Children under 16 will need a valid birth certificate or other proof of citizenship.
Q . Is the EDL valid for all forms of transportation?
A . No, only for driving or travel by sea.
Q . What happens if I lose my EDL?
A . You can apply for a new one with the Secretary of State. The authorities at U.S. Customs and Border Protection will be notified and will put security measures in place to make sure your lost card won't be misused.
Q . Now much does it cost?
A . It is $45 for an EDL and $30 for a state identification card.
Q . Where can I apply for one?
A . At selected SOS Super and Plus offices around the state. Go to www.michigan.gov/sos for locations.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009904220381
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan