Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 07:39 AM

86 posts, read 93,530 times

Advertisements

I personally don't think the Michigan economy is turning around. It is more likely people coming back to finish moving out their last things. From what people who work at Boyne Mt. and the Highlands tell me, things were slow this winter and are still slow. I don't think there will be any money spread around except for gas in and gas back out. I have a sister that will have South Carolina plates spending two weeks staging her home to sell, then back to SC. The idea that we live in some area that others can only wish that they could live reminded me of the movie little big man, where his sister sat in the Indian camp and kept saying "their going to rape me for sure tonight jack, until Hoffman’s character said "I don't think their going to bother you Caroline" Well Caroline I don't think there is any worries about a flood of people moving to Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 08:39 AM

1,433 posts, read 2,981,334 times
Many small towns in W Michigan are quite empty by November, as much as 2 of 3 residents head off to warmer climates. As one person wisecracked 'there's two seasons, winter and relatives'.

The majority are seniors.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:23 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allistercrowly View Post
I don't think there is any worries about a flood of people moving to Michigan.
I hope not, and that is NOT what was being said either.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:10 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Many small towns in W Michigan are quite empty by November, as much as 2 of 3 residents head off to warmer climates. As one person wisecracked 'there's two seasons, winter and relatives'.

You're talking about coastal towns, right? I'm not aware of big drops in population in places like Rockford or Hudsonville.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:25 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,694,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allistercrowly View Post
I personally don't think the Michigan economy is turning around. It is more likely people coming back to finish moving out their last things. From what people who work at Boyne Mt. and the Highlands tell me, things were slow this winter and are still slow. I don't think there will be any money spread around except for gas in and gas back out. I have a sister that will have South Carolina plates spending two weeks staging her home to sell, then back to SC. The idea that we live in some area that others can only wish that they could live reminded me of the movie little big man, where his sister sat in the Indian camp and kept saying "their going to rape me for sure tonight jack, until Hoffman’s character said "I don't think their going to bother you Caroline" Well Caroline I don't think there is any worries about a flood of people moving to Michigan.
I'm sorry she felt the need to leave Michigan. And since none of us know the reasons for people coming or going, to each their own. HOWEVER.....you'd be suprised how many are asking about this state as a home. The originial OP was stating about seeing many different license plates here, and since im sure they all are not moving out, then i say its a joy to see them. This is an awesome state with some awesome people.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:44 AM

469 posts, read 1,451,615 times
I am so jealous of you all. My husband and I are trying to get out of Houston - after 5 1/2 years of unbearable humidity & heat, all the bugs, and that nice little hurricane we had last year. We are looking to move to either Michigan or Colorado, as it has to be where there are oil/pipeline companies. We both lived in Michigan for a little while, and we miss the 4 seasons, the lakes, the beautiful scenery. You really do have a beautiful state.
Please wish us luck. I hope we don't have to wait much longer!

Old 05-06-2009, 11:51 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
You're talking about coastal towns, right? I'm not aware of big drops in population in places like Rockford or Hudsonville.
I haven't seen that here in the Ludington area either. Some residents go South for the winter, but it sure isn't 2/3rds of the population, I would highly doubt that 2/3rds of the seniors leave during the winter.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:12 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I'm actually in the Ludington area. Town was hopping again today as well. 70 sure would be a lot better than 105. Holy Cow, that isn't fit for human habitation if it is that hot already. I can just imagine what it will be in August.
105 is nuthin'.

My personal record is 118.

August in Phoenix is monsoon season. 100 degrees and humid.

We get half of our annual rain from mid July 'til about Labor Day.

Ludington is nice. I golfed at a beautiful course up there.

The Hemlock?

My friend has some property a 'lil bit south of ya; in between Baldwin & Reed City. Good huntin' & fishin' there.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:16 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie P View Post
I am so jealous of you all. My husband and I are trying to get out of Houston - after 5 1/2 years of unbearable humidity & heat, all the bugs, and that nice little hurricane we had last year. We are looking to move to either Michigan or Colorado, as it has to be where there are oil/pipeline companies. We both lived in Michigan for a little while, and we miss the 4 seasons, the lakes, the beautiful scenery. You really do have a beautiful state.
Please wish us luck. I hope we don't have to wait much longer!
Good luck Stephanie! I've been to quite a few rapidly growing areas, and the breakneck pace of suburban development makes me ill. I can't even imagine what Texas must look like.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:46 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,981,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Correct, mostly tourist type towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan