Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 09:18 AM

2 posts, read 17,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan185 View Post
Avoid NW Lansing. You will have to deal with noise from the airport. Also, the living is not so "pretty" in north Lansing. The areas around LCC and the capital are improving. Also, in recent years, there has been a push for revitalizing the homes in the downtown area (along and south of Michigan Ave. between the capital and MSU). SE Lansing underwent a house-building boom in the late 90's so there are some nice affordable starter-homes in that area.

Consider looking in neighboring towns like Holt, Mason, East Lansing, Okemos, Williamston, and Grand Ledge. Nice, traditional mid-west towns with good schools and nice homes. All with a relatively easy commute to Lansing.
This is an old thread, but the living is not "so pretty" in the areas you mention either. Just because the houses are newer and the commute is horrible, with inadequate and essentially unpaved roads doesn't translate to nicer.

And the people - "traditional" apparently translates to small-minded and snobby.

Lansing area living is very hit and miss. But I would surely avoid downtown......that is the pits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 02:14 PM

580 posts, read 1,681,126 times
Base on what I've heard, avoid south Lansing. Near the churchhill area... I heard its horrible. Many say living by the Lansing Mall is a nice area, also off the grand river...

Old 02-15-2008, 12:05 PM

323 posts, read 1,131,807 times
Visit Lansing and check it out for yourself. It's got pockets of safe and pockets of dangerous and honestly, just drive around and you can tell which is which. Do not, by any means, ever move to Baker Street. It's off Pennsylvania just north of Mt. Hope. It's terrible. Absolutely terrible. I lived there for two months next to a crack house. My house was broken in to and the liquor store a block away had bullet holes in the window. In Lansing, the cheapest rent usually means it's in the worst neighborhoods. Just drive around and see for yourself. There are some nice areas.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:14 PM

3 posts, read 27,072 times
Hello,
Good thread here. I'm looking to relocate, and have fallen in love with a house on Braman, just east of MLK and Moores River Road, near the park. Any info for me would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:23 PM

87 posts, read 255,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino0829 View Post
Hello,
Good thread here. I'm looking to relocate, and have fallen in love with a house on Braman, just east of MLK and Moores River Road, near the park. Any info for me would be greatly appreciated.

Thats really a pretty nice area. Obviously on the west side of MLK its a bit nicer, but the Moore's River neighborhood is one of the more upscale and nicer neighborhoods in the city. Where you're looking is not as nice, but most of the houses are clean, small homes and are pretty well taken care of. My best friend lives just south of there on Poxson, which is a couple roads south of Mt Hope. And while its obviously not perfect, its definitely not a dangerous place by any means. You'll be just fine there.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:32 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
As for the Lansing city High Schools, how would you rank Sexton, Everett and Eastern?

Old 03-17-2009, 01:02 PM

1 posts, read 12,820 times
I have lived in Lansing most all of my life, so I have a pretty good idea of how things are around town. However, my family and I (wife, three kids 5 and under) are now looking to purchase our first house, and it's in an area that I've heard bad things about. The house is located pretty much on Waverly (it's a side street but it's on the corner), south of Holmes and north of Jolly. The specific side street is called Windward Dr. Does anybody know specifically what the neighborhood there is like, or live there? Like I said, I know that the area is generally not considered to be too good, but I was wondering if anybody had more specific information. Thanks!

Old 03-19-2009, 07:44 PM

3 posts, read 27,072 times
Thanks very much, everyone, for the great advice. I'm looking into the Sexton neighborhood now, which has some incredible homes, and I hear is quite nice to live in. I do wish the Verlinden street area was nicer though. Anyone heard about redevelopment there?
Thanks! And looking forward to moving to Lansing.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 12,705 times
Hi, I am wondering what this level of crime rates means to the average person living in Lansing. I am an incoming Phd student at MSU and I have spent extended periods of time in developing nations without incident. So, I am rarely concerned about any types of crimes. I have been looking at a number of houses in downtown Lansing that are priced at less than 20k. And they seem very appealing to me. Is this a bad idea? I don't have very many valuables. I don't think I will even have a TV. I am a pretty large guy and think myself pretty aware of my surroundings. Now, i don't have any interest in being cavalier about crime, but I just want to know what moving to an area with a crime rate slightly above the national average really means. Any advise would be much appreciated.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 12,382 times
Lansing is an absolutely terrible place to grow up. I have alot of awful memories from that city. East lansing is nice because it has a fun college atmosphere. But if you want a really great place to live go to Okemos. Its hard to believe a place like Okemos is even close to Lansing. Lansing is such a dump
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan