Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 03:53 PM

693 posts, read 2,258,013 times

Advertisements

Northville straddles southern oakland and northern wayne (its in both counties) I used to work for the city several yeas ago. Awesome downtown...if you have 1/2 mill to spare for a loft or a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 04:04 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
More photos of what's great about Michigan (West Michigan particularly). Took the kids on one of our favorite hikes today only a few miles from our house. The park is called Provin Trails, which is part of the Kent County Parks system. Although we're 30 - 40 miles from Lake Michigan, with the sand dunes, rolling hills and pines, you would think you were right there next to the big lake:

I have to admit that I wish Spring came a month earlier.

Hard to believe you're only a mile outside the GR city limits and a mile from M-44 (East Beltline), one of the heaviest traveled roads in the county. The Grand Rapids area is chocked full of parks like this:

http://www.visitgrandrapids.org/pdfs/map-trail.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by magellan; 04-21-2007 at 04:14 PM..

Old 04-21-2007, 04:56 PM

3,294 posts, read 9,187,103 times
All these photos still do not cure what is wrong with MI.

Yes, it's a pretty state but if you don't have work and can't afford to live here, who cares how pretty it is. Liz

Old 04-21-2007, 05:06 PM

188 posts, read 811,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post

Yes, it's a pretty state but if you don't have work and can't afford to live here, who cares how pretty it is. Liz
very true southernlady5465

money = food on the table n roof over your head.

Old 04-21-2007, 09:16 PM

146 posts, read 640,970 times
Default Sick

Honestly, what is wrong with you people.
A guy posts a few family pictures of MICHIGAN on a MICHIGAN forum and you can't refrain from dumping your negative bile on it.
Get a life. -But PLEASE, PLEASE, do it somewhere else.

Thanks for sharing Magellan, I love 'em!

Old 04-21-2007, 09:54 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post

Yeah wabbit, isn't it funny how some people are always lamenting "How dare you have fun and show pretty pictures while children are starving!!!!" Last time I checked, there were 4.39 Million people employed in Michigan. I'm sure a few of them enjoy the scenery. I know I do

But if you want pictures of jobs, here's a photo someone posted on another site of the largest construction zone in Grand Rapids history, which is the addition of six new health sciences complexes on "Healthcare Hill" in GR, amounting to about $850 Million in new construction and about 3000 new jobs by 2010. Ask and you shall receive:

And work progressing on what will be the tallest residential building in Michigan at 406', River House in GR:

I had to get permission to use these, so please do not share them. Enjoy!

BTW: Anyone else in the Grand Rapids area notice all the pregnant women lately? They're everywhere all of a sudden. My wife and I believe it's a sign of a growing economy (at least here).

Last edited by magellan; 04-21-2007 at 10:29 PM..

Old 04-22-2007, 12:39 AM

188 posts, read 811,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbit View Post
Honestly, what is wrong with you people.
A guy posts a few family pictures of MICHIGAN on a MICHIGAN forum and you can't refrain from dumping your negative bile on it.
Get a life. -But PLEASE, PLEASE, do it somewhere else.

Thanks for sharing Magellan, I love 'em!
Ive got a life n ill do it here there n everywhere n yes i read your opinions which you are entiled too.

southernlady5464 put her 2 cents worth in i did the same i DONT think that we are dumping thats my opinion

I think the pics are good too, but its a little off the topic which is " What's REALLY wrong with Michigan "

pics are great , so get more pics Magellan , start a new thread , call it...the new good things about MI .... or whatever ill keeping looking at the new pics you put in for us n ill put my 5 cents worth in if i feel the need too , were all but human with different opinions

Old 04-22-2007, 06:35 AM

54 posts, read 259,369 times
Magellan's pictures illustrate a positive base to now talk about what we can do to CHANGE what is (perceived) to be really wrong with Michigan. Talking about it won't help, but talking about action and implementing it will get the ball rolling.

If you don't change what is wrong, then those pictures Magellan showed could end up looking very different in decades to come. Lack of funding for parks, lack of transit, proper downtown development, etc.

By the way, great pictures of the inland sand dunes, Magellan!

Old 04-22-2007, 07:57 PM

11 posts, read 99,943 times
We live in Holland, michigan. Have been for over 30 years. If you don't mind the snow, cold, pot holes, Orange barrels on the highways alot of times, and little job opportunity then it's perfect. There have been a unbelievable amount of lay-offs. Businesses are crashing or sending it to other countries. I own a business and used to be flourishing, now I'm closing it. I've seen alot of businesses around here shut down. It's quite sad. Otherwise it is a nice town. White people are becoming the minority however. My daughter attends the Holland Public schools and she is one of few white kids. Spanish is the second language. Good luck in your search. We are moving to Florida where there is a ton of jobs!

Old 04-23-2007, 02:29 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennster31 View Post
We live in Holland, michigan. Have been for over 30 years. If you don't mind the snow, cold, pot holes, Orange barrels on the highways alot of times, and little job opportunity then it's perfect. There have been a unbelievable amount of lay-offs. Businesses are crashing or sending it to other countries. I own a business and used to be flourishing, now I'm closing it. I've seen alot of businesses around here shut down. It's quite sad. Otherwise it is a nice town. White people are becoming the minority however. My daughter attends the Holland Public schools and she is one of few white kids. Spanish is the second language. Good luck in your search. We are moving to Florida where there is a ton of jobs!
Are you certain that Florida's economy and job market is as good as you believe it to be? I bet that if you go to the Florida boards you'll find lots of folks who want to move out of Florida for other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan