Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 07:33 AM

328 posts, read 1,396,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiram21 View Post
Hi All,

We will be relocating to MI (AA suburbs, most likely) from NJ.

My husband thinks it might be wise to buy a US-make car given the area we will be living in. The problem is that my Toyota is paid off and there is nothing wrong with it, so I'm not really excited about getting a different car...

Opinions, anyone?
In Ann Arbor, it should not be an issue. Where I am from originally (The "Downriver" area - Taylor, Southgate, Lincoln Park, Allen Park), a lot of people work on the line for GM, Chrysler, and Ford, and there tends to be about 80% Domestic cars in that area. I was just home all weekend, and I think I saw about 10 cars driving on the road that weren't an off-shoot of one of those three brands.

You will be fine in Ann Arbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 08:30 AM

112 posts, read 305,082 times
Quote:
Hi All,

My husband thinks it might be wise to buy a US-make car given the area we will be living in. The problem is that my Toyota is paid off and there is nothing wrong with it, so I'm not really excited about getting a different car...

Opinions, anyone?
A Toyota in Ann Arbor?

Yes, you will need to sell that and get a Volvo.

You get bonus points if it is a station wagon.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:39 AM

198 posts, read 508,326 times
My Subaru was made in Indiana.
My Ford Fusion was made in Mexico.
My Suburban was made who knows where but it will be the first one to make it to the Junkyard. POS.
Toyota has a major Technical Center in Ann Arbor.
It's a crazy mixed up world. Drive what suits your needs the best!

Old 05-18-2009, 10:41 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,019,987 times
The Chevy Prism was a Toyota Corolla in disguise! (the engine even says Toyota on it)

You're in good company with a Toyota in AA. While as MI resident I had more Hondas and Toyotas under my ownership than Big 3 brands. Of all the cars we had (9 so far), the foreigns always were resold with super high miles while the domestic always ended up getting parted out or straight to the junkyard with less than 150k. What a shame...

Old 05-18-2009, 01:48 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don'tbestupid View Post
American cars are garbage. Is that the consumer's fault? Many ignorant people in Michigan have been propping up the Big 3 for years. What was the result? For the buyer low quality and low resale value. For the American worker the buyer was supposedly supporting? A pink slip. Most intelligent people know that and have driven foreign cars for years. Will a stupid person give you a hard time about a foreign car? Maybe if you hang around with opinionated factory workers you might get a little bit of verbal harassment (even those guys seem to hassle you only on principle as they know which way the wind blows) but that is a small segment of the population especially as i imagine you to be upper middle class. Tell your husband if it were wise to buy an American car that GM execs would not be dumping their stock and the company would not be heading for bankruptcy.

Ford has more vehicles rated by JD Power in the top 3 than any other auto maker. Mercury is second only to Lexus in the lowest rate of warranty claims over a 3 year span, with Ford and Lincoln in the top 10. GM has also ranked in the top half of this ranking as well. Is it wiser to buy from Toyota when they lost over 7 billion and had to receive loans from a Japanese Government run bank? Take your dated beliefs about the Big 3 elsewhere. Ford has surpassed Toyota and Honda in quality ratings and GM has been coming on in this department as well. This isn't 1995 anymore. The Big 3 has caught up with the foreign competition in quality. Consumer Guide has even been passing out good ratings to American vehicles. The Malibu was highly rated by Consumer Guide, and Motor Trend gave the Cadillac CTS car of the year last year.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:47 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
While I have disagreed with Scolls in the past, this last post is spot on target. You don't have to look back very many years to find a time when the imports WERE better made vehicles than any of the "big 3" but you have to look back, not at the present day. Ford has made huge strides in quality and GM is also gaining. Right now Ford is one of the strongest car companies out there domestic OR import in both quality and stability. Sure they are not as rock solid financially as decades ago, but neither are any of the imports.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:00 AM

939 posts, read 2,681,192 times
I live near Traverse City after moving from Long Island 5 years ago. We still have the 2 BMW's we brought with us. Those cars love the winter. Many GM retirees up here are conductors on the "buy American train" but I'd only drive an American car if it was given to me. You'll be fine, keep your Toyota
Quote:
Hi All,

Opinions, anyone?

Old 05-20-2009, 06:51 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Drive a foreign car, wear foreign clothes, buy everything foreign but never complain when you lose your job.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:37 PM

19 posts, read 57,224 times
You might see more domestic vehicles on the road in Michigan, but don't worry about driving a Toyota in Michigan...especially in Ann Arbor.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:32 AM

265 posts, read 801,498 times
I have seen these signs at a few UAW office parking lots. No further comment...

Does this mean I could park my Nissan Altima but not my Chevy Impala?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan