U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 03:25 AM

837 posts, read 438,635 times
Default MI: Wow the state looks like its going backwards!

Once the automotive leader, it looks like MI is slowly reverting back to a forest. Reminds me of Will Smith's movie where NYC was slowly turning back to grass and there are lions and deer running around downtown.

US cities may have to be bulldozed in order to survive - Telegraph

Rural Mich. counties turn failing roads to gravel | roads, mich, counties - Top Stories - WWMT NEWSCHANNEL 3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 06:53 AM

12,142 posts, read 21,308,522 times
Not as dreary as a couple of articles will have you believe. When was the last time you were here?

Economically depressed? Yes.
Reverting back to Forest? No

Old 06-14-2009, 07:38 AM

7,179 posts, read 10,787,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by block911 View Post
Once the automotive leader, it looks like MI is slowly reverting back to a forest. Reminds me of Will Smith's movie where NYC was slowly turning back to grass and there are lions and deer running around downtown.

Rural Mich. counties turn failing roads to gravel | roads, mich, counties - Top Stories - WWMT NEWSCHANNEL 3
I actually like the idea of turning rural primary roads back to gravel. We keep stretching our infrastructure out in Michigan like a rubber band, and we wonder then why it finally snapped.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:40 AM

47,586 posts, read 33,856,578 times
If it's a choice of bringing in half the world and paying them to reproduce just for the sake of growth and seeing miles and miles of crowded subdivisions with more going up and some wild natural spaces, I'll go with the wild natural spaces.

Who wants to live where you have to make a reservation 3-6 months in advance to get a camping site.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:09 AM

271 posts, read 351,667 times
There has been talk of turning ours to gravel. Only thing is some areas of the state have good paved roads, and good gravel roads that are better than our paved roads. The paved roads we have now are horrid, and the gravel roads are worse yet. My cars are always getting destroyed regardless from our roads, so I would rather have a paved road to at least keep it clean so it is easier to work on.

Quote:
Who wants to live where you have to make a reservation 3-6 months in advance to get a camping site.
That is about the only positive to soaring gas prices. It used to be like you say when I was younger, and since then I never bothered trying to camp for years. Now the campgrounds are pretty dead and the last few years I have been able to take the family camping locally anytime I happen to be able to get time off and the weather is decent. It is nice and peaceful because we pretty much have the campground to ourselves. Now I haven't checked this year yet since gas went down, but is going up fast and headed where it was before. I am hoping to go next weekend.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:15 AM

117 posts, read 214,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If it's a choice of bringing in half the world and paying them to reproduce just for the sake of growth and seeing miles and miles of crowded subdivisions with more going up and some wild natural spaces, I'll go with the wild natural spaces.
I agree. I think Flint's plan is a positive step. I've often thought that it's unfortunate that most American cities are so sprawled out that it is impossible to function without a car. Having a condensed urban area with everything you need close by makes a lot of sense nowadays with the price of gas.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:28 PM

489 posts, read 817,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Not as dreary as a couple of articles will have you believe. When was the last time you were here?

Economically depressed? Yes.
Reverting back to Forest? No
Isn't the former Buick Town pretty much headed that way anyway?

I'd like to see Flint re-establish itself from the city center out. When I was a kid my mother didn't drive, but we could easily walk to everything that we needed when my dad was at work. Supermarket, two blocks. Barbershop, one block. Pharmacy, 4-5 blocks. Sears, 5-6 blocks. Downtown, about the same. Unfortunately, it would take a liberal application of 'dozers to my old neighborhood today just to start.

The revitalization of downtown Flint, and the expansion of the U-M campus is a positive start.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:34 PM

489 posts, read 817,358 times
Did anyone else catch this part of the article?

"The city is buying up houses in more affluent areas to offer people in neighbourhoods it wants to demolish. Nobody will be forced to move, said Mr Kildee."

So, he wants to turn what few good parts of Flint remain into yet another bad part of the city by moving low-lifes in? And what are they supposed to rent/buy these nicer homes with? Maybe I've missed something.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:37 AM

7,521 posts, read 9,806,285 times
Quote:

Seriously, it will be a few years before the trees are of any real size.

But all forests have to start with the undergrowth and Detgroit has a great start on that...

Old 06-15-2009, 10:33 AM

727 posts, read 939,042 times
Quote:

this is a big country.....a big state too. so bulldoze a few cities....sounds good. oh no! gravel roads! (stomping feet) waaaaaaaah!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan