U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 07:23 AM

7,308 posts, read 11,268,227 times

Advertisements

Farmers Insurance expansion could create 1,600 jobs in Caledonia Township

by Chris Knape | The Grand Rapids Press

CALEDONIA TOWNSHIP -- Farmers Insurance on Tuesday is poised to announce plans to bring 1,600 new jobs to West Michigan.

The plan, which also includes a major expansion of its Foremost Insurance Group complex, may be the largest job-creation announcement for the region in years.

Farmers Insurance expansion could create 1,600 jobs in Caledonia Township - Grand Rapids News - The Latest News, Blogs, Photos & Videos MLive.com

YouTube - Farmers plans to add 1,600 new jobs

Farmer's already has about 1500 jobs at its sprawling campus in Caledonia, a Southeastern GR suburb, and this expansion will add two new facilities on the campus and double its workforce to over 3000 (planned).

Of course, Granholm has to be here for the press conference (even though she's been dissing West Michigan lately). But that's beside the point. Great news!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 07:41 AM

2,789 posts, read 3,019,526 times
Awesome!! I'll take any good news I can get. 1,500 jobs is a pretty substantial number. Probably a lot of customer service/call center work, but some of those will probably pay fairly well too.

Quote:
Of course, Granholm has to be here for the press conference (even though she's been dissing West Michigan lately).
What is Granholm's beef with W. Michigan lately? Guess I haven't heard any of that.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:34 AM

12,134 posts, read 22,333,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
What is Granholm's beef with W. Michigan lately? Guess I haven't heard any of that.
Because we are doing better than the rest of the State, despite her best efforts to kill the entire State.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Awesome!! I'll take any good news I can get. 1,500 jobs is a pretty substantial number. Probably a lot of customer service/call center work, but some of those will probably pay fairly well too.

I think there are several legislators in West Michigan that have been holding her feet to the fire recently, so she's leaving the prom. She can't leave fast enough, IMO. She even dissed Tulip Festival in Holland, which I think is the first time any Michigan Governor has done so.

You're right michigan83. I've been in their HQ (amazing place by the way), and it is a lot of call center work. But a lot of it too is claims, underwriting, marketing, finance, actuarial, agency stuff. I'd say typical pay levels are at least $30,000/year (after you move up the ranks from customer service).

Old 06-16-2009, 11:26 AM

Holy crap! The total announced today was 4500 jobs coming to West Michigan. Granted, these are estimates used to justify the state awarding tax credits, but still not bad.

4,500 jobs coming to West Michigan (http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/kent_county/Farmers_plans_to_add_1600_new_jobs - broken link)

Old 06-16-2009, 12:44 PM
YAZ

6,187 posts, read 6,807,335 times
That's great news!

GR is a cool town...always wanted to check out a ball game at...what is that?

Comstock Park?

Where the Whitecaps play....

Do y'all still have the Griffins?

Minor league hockey for those "not in the know".....

Old 06-16-2009, 01:00 PM

845 posts, read 2,258,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
That's great news!

GR is a cool town...always wanted to check out a ball game at...what is that?

Comstock Park?

Where the Whitecaps play....

Do y'all still have the Griffins?

Minor league hockey for those "not in the know".....
Whitecaps play at "5/3rd Ballpark" in the "town" (is it a town? not sure) of Comstock Park. [Driving Directions]

The Grand Rapids Griffins AHL hockey team (the minor league affiliate of the Detroit Red Wings) play at Van Andel Arena in downtown Grand Rapids.

Both are fantastic entertainment. You should check out a game!

Old 06-16-2009, 01:15 PM
YAZ

6,187 posts, read 6,807,335 times
Always wanted to go....kind of a long drive for me lately...

Minor leagues are slicker than snot.....

Old 06-16-2009, 03:14 PM

489 posts, read 857,196 times
Not to mention that you have a fantastic Division II team in the area - GVSU.

Aside from UCLA basketball here, one of the hot tickets is the Division II CCAA conference. And GVSU plays great football as well. We'd be season ticketholders if we lived back there.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:29 AM

2,789 posts, read 3,019,526 times
Quote:
She even dissed Tulip Festival in Holland, which I think is the first time any Michigan Governor has done so.
Not cool, Jenny. Not cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan