Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 07:58 AM

504 posts, read 2,174,933 times

Advertisements

There's plenty of "Michiganisms" here. I've had to learn lots of new vocabulary. I think there's even a thread about it. One thing that's very different about Michigan (or at least this part) than the West Coast is that people have lived here for generations... Newcomers, like myself are constantly asked the same question over and over again...WHY did you move HERE? I've tried many answers, including "for a job", which is true, but no one believes me. I've given up, and just shrug my shoulder now. We're actually starting to look at moving again so DH can once again "climb the ladder".

One thing you'll love about MI is that no one blinks twice when you tell them you're from California. Which is quite different, as you know, if you move to anywhere out West from CA. They'll just ask you "Why did you more HERE?" Most folks, up here at least, have never been out West. Californians are welcomed, just like anyone else.

Also, being in the military, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how patriotic the culture is here. The military is honored more than anywhere else I've ever lived (Louisiana, Kentucky, and Oregon). I don't know if it's a mid-west thing, or just Northern Michigan, but I for one, have learned how to respect and appreciate not only the service men and women, but all of those who serve their communities in one way or another. It's a very good culture in that way... people here are incredibly self-LESS. I've been so impressed by this.

Don't worry too much about the cold. Good clothes go a long way! And the joy of cozying up next to a roaring fire can't be beat. I also love baking, and I can bake all summer long here :-). Don't be afraid to ask how to "layer" or how to dress. Although so many people here are so used to it they have a hard time explaining it to you.... but you'll quickly learn how to. My best "discovery" is flannel-lined jeans!!! And at 41, I learned for the first time that all you need to do to keep your hands warm in the snow is to carry multiple pairs of good gloves and replace them when they get wet... Same with socks/ boots. Stock up on sweaters in the good-will stores down in California before you come. I found tons in Oregon shed by mid-westerners who moved there, but haven't found as many here in the thrift stores...

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 10:05 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,397,885 times
Bydand, thanks for a better narrative than I could have given through my missing front teeth, dontcha know! Did everyone see a legislative bill has been introduced to make it law to include the U P on any image of the state. Seems some state produced promotional materials omitted the less populated third of our great state. There is more than a mitten .....

Old 07-15-2009, 10:30 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,838,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsmith680 View Post
Bydand, thanks for a better narrative than I could have given through my missing front teeth, dontcha know! Did everyone see a legislative bill has been introduced to make it law to include the U P on any image of the state. Seems some state produced promotional materials omitted the less populated third of our great state. There is more than a mitten .....
I would back that in a minute. I personally love the UP, though increased exposure may have the drawback of actually giving it more popularity and losing some of what makes it so great.

I think Gaylord has done that a bit to itself. Back 20+ years ago, it was a far different town than it is now. Some of the changes have been for the greater good, but it has lost some of the "flavor" that it had before. Now things come across as trying a bit too hard at times. Alpenfest has always been a cluster if you ask me, but for the other 51 weeks Gaylord was a good place to live. The key to Gaylord is OFF the main drags, and into the Community itself. Good school system, good hospital for it's size, good people overall, and a sense of community once the Summer has wound down and before snow hits and the skiers come in. Then after skiing and before the Summer crush again. Once you make it past the first full year the locals see you as one of their own instead of one of the many who come for a few weeks at a time and try to control how the town should be run. Decent shopping for the year-round size of the town, and some rather good food is to be found. Don't discount a place based solely on it's outward appearance. One of the better meals used to be at a real dive just North of town that has since closed (don't remember the name now).

If the OP has kids, you really should check out Call of the Wild. Kind of boring for adults, but I remember going as a kid and it was always a highlight of any trip through Gaylord. My 4 feel that same way now. In fact they asked yesterday when we could take them there again this year. There used to be a small, old park on (I think) Huron street between Oak and Hazel. Nobody ever used it and there was a nice place to have a picnic lunch under some big old shade trees along with a few pieces of playground equipment for the kids.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:01 AM

485 posts, read 966,077 times
I love northern michigan and grew up in Oscoda County but Gaylord area is starting to feel like "home" now that my sister/brother in law live there and that's our "vacation spot" most of the time (we live downstate). I guess the love of one's place is all about perspective and where you come from. We spent a couple weeks in Hawaii in June and, while it's certainly a nice place, I'm not sitting here during this Michigan summer and wishing I was back there, it was actually too hot over there for me. I may not even wish I was back there in the middle of winter. I LOVE the changing seasons and with each one, there's something different to do or enjoy in this state.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:04 PM

3 posts, read 7,824 times
This cali girl is gonna freeze her *** off!!

Old 07-15-2009, 12:08 PM

HI, this is the boyfriend...and as soon as she gets her c-card, we are gonna be diving every minute we get...any nice sites in the area. i heard TC had quite a few, but gaylord had only one or two. willing to travel during the weekends, and possibly weekday dry dives. any dive clubs on here?

Old 07-15-2009, 12:11 PM

10 posts, read 36,471 times
Hey! I'll be just fine. lol.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:55 PM

504 posts, read 2,174,933 times
She'll be fine! If I can get by, being born and raised in Louisiana, anyone can LOL!

Not sure what you mean by "c-card". If you man scuba diving, here's a link to what I hear is an incredible place: Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary Home Page It's in Alpena, about an hour plus from Gaylord.

I know there's diving in and around Traverse City too, including winter diving (brrr....).

I used a scuba mask once while surveying a mountain stream in Oregon, but it was only a foot deep. But it was still neat! That's the extent of my "diving" knowledge.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:00 PM

thanx, its start...

Old 07-15-2009, 01:08 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,838,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samaniegodr View Post
HI, this is the boyfriend...and as soon as she gets her c-card, we are gonna be diving every minute we get...any nice sites in the area. i heard TC had quite a few, but gaylord had only one or two. willing to travel during the weekends, and possibly weekday dry dives. any dive clubs on here?
Don't know of any dive clubs here on C-D, but they are around Michigan. We actually have some good diving here in the State. Here are a few site to "wet" your interest. A few are lists of dive shops around the state. I dealt with Sub-aquatic Sports and service in Battle Creek before and Rick and his staff will help you find what you need anywhere in the State, even if it means they don't make a dime.
Michigan Scuba Diving
3 Routes Michigan Scuba Diving Directory
Thunder Bay Scuba
Alpena, Michigan Scuba Diving Trip with Huron Scuba, Ann Arbor Michigan
Michigan Dive Directory

For some good diving look East toward Alpena and that area as well. There are 9 underwater preserves in Michigan and countless shipwrecks.
The link for the underwater preserves is here: DEQ - Michigan Underwater Preserves - Sites
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan