Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 08:52 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times

Advertisements

I think you got the wrong impression Northman. I don't see where anybody said it is wrong that people spend that much anywhere. And I am far from Jealous of them, shoot I kind of pity them. I live where they spend thousands to visit for a week at a time, just like you do according to the location you have down. I really don't care if they spend $100 or $10,000 a week for a place to stay, just stated that some of the places where they are charging high dollar, should be a bit better. I know several that while rustic are almost not fit to keep animals in, let alone charge top dollar for. I wonder how many see a slick brochure, or internet ad, and then get up their "dream" vacation to find it more of a nightmare/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 11:29 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,275,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I think you got the wrong impression Northman. I don't see where anybody said it is wrong that people spend that much anywhere. And I am far from Jealous of them, shoot I kind of pity them. I live where they spend thousands to visit for a week at a time, just like you do according to the location you have down. I really don't care if they spend $100 or $10,000 a week for a place to stay, just stated that some of the places where they are charging high dollar, should be a bit better. I know several that while rustic are almost not fit to keep animals in, let alone charge top dollar for. I wonder how many see a slick brochure, or internet ad, and then get up their "dream" vacation to find it more of a nightmare/

Well said Bydand. I was wondering what he was reading as well. I was just trying to point out that among the doom and gloom reported about Michigan I'm glad to see there are people dropping that kind of money in our state. Kind of surprised to tell the truth. But hey spend it if ya got it and spend it here.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:04 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
Well said Bydand. I was wondering what he was reading as well. I was just trying to point out that among the doom and gloom reported about Michigan I'm glad to see there are people dropping that kind of money in our state. Kind of surprised to tell the truth. But hey spend it if ya got it and spend it here.
I got the same impression as Northman about your first post JGatti.
Phrases like "who in the hell can afford that" (not you, apparently) and referring to renters ***** (which I take to be p*****g) away their money, are pretty negative and suggest some outrage on your part.
I rent a very nice 4 br house in a lakeshore village to middle class people who save their vacation money to rent a house near public Lake Michigan beaches at much less than 4 hotel rooms would cost. It's normally an occasion for sometimes widely dispersed families to get together and spend time with each other. They love it and most return every year for the same time period.
In summer, I get twice as much per week as I get for monthly rental in the off season, so you can see it makes sense for everyone concerned.
I don't apologize for my weekly rental price at all...it's a price set by the marketplace, not by the complaints of people who can't or won't pay it. A lousy property won't get returning guests, and returns are the Holy Grail for vacation property landlords. Renting is not, as has been suggested, a process of fooling new suckers every year.
The taxes on my rental property are over twice as much as the tax on my own house, so local schools, roads, etc. benefit greatly from people like me renting out vacation properties, and the shops and restaurants in my town also see a lot of dollars from my tenants.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
I got the same impression as Northman about your first post JGatti.
Phrases like "who in the hell can afford that" (not you, apparently) and referring to renters ***** (which I take to be p*****g) away their money, are pretty negative and suggest some outrage on your part.
I rent a very nice 4 br house in a lakeshore village to middle class people who save their vacation money to rent a house near public Lake Michigan beaches at much less than 4 hotel rooms would cost. It's normally an occasion for sometimes widely dispersed families to get together and spend time with each other. They love it and most return every year for the same time period.
In summer, I get twice as much per week as I get for monthly rental in the off season, so you can see it makes sense for everyone concerned.
I don't apologize for my weekly rental price at all...it's a price set by the marketplace, not by the complaints of people who can't or won't pay it. A lousy property won't get returning guests, and returns are the Holy Grail for vacation property landlords. Renting is not, as has been suggested, a process of fooling new suckers every year.
The taxes on my rental property are over twice as much as the tax on my own house, so local schools, roads, etc. benefit greatly from people like me renting out vacation properties, and the shops and restaurants in my town also see a lot of dollars from my tenants.
Well I guess you like northman read into it wrong. Should I read into your response and claim you took a cheap shot by saying " not you apparently" in reference to being able to afford it? I won't because I don't take people that serious. Don't know ya don't care what you say.
I guess I should have been more clear in describing the fact that all you hear is doom and gloom and Michigan is a hole and everyone is leaving in droves etc etc. I simply wanted to point out that even though most of the country looks at us as being some broke dump, people seem to be finding plenty of money to spend. I view it as issing away when some of these little dumps are being rented for top dollar. If I really want to rent like everyone else I'll make it happen. I'd prefer to camp and spend that extra money on plenty of other things to do, or call someone else I know on Opal lake that has a nice affordable place.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:08 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
If this week is any indication, property will start moving. I have been giving LOTS of bids for well work on foreclosed on property. First time in two years I have had to leave pen, paper and a phone in the bathroom.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
If this week is any indication, property will start moving. I have been giving LOTS of bids for well work on foreclosed on property. First time in two years I have had to leave pen, paper and a phone in the bathroom.
Glad to hear that Driller. Not sure how views of our house translates into homes selling but we had over 530 views and one showing within the first week of our house going on the market. Hope it moves fast.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:25 PM

504 posts, read 2,175,820 times
Must admit that we once rented a weekly house on a lake in WI for a family reunion, but after 4 families pitched in, it was cheaper than a hotel, and we had a kitchen to cook in to save money on food, plus a nice place for small kids (and babies) to play and sleep and spread out.

The more the merrier!

Old 07-18-2009, 06:11 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird39 View Post
Must admit that we once rented a weekly house on a lake in WI for a family reunion, but after 4 families pitched in, it was cheaper than a hotel, and we had a kitchen to cook in to save money on food, plus a nice place for small kids (and babies) to play and sleep and spread out.

The more the merrier!
Unless you'd be satisfied with a real dump motel, a rental cottage with multiple bedrooms will always be a better deal than a motel room. It's not just price...it's what you get for your money.
If you spend 3 grand a week for a house with Lake Michigan beachfront near my town, you're on a property that sells for 10 grand a foot, before you put your house on it. You get the lake outside your door 24/7, and endless quiet amusement watching the lake itself, as well as swimming, sailing and beachcombing any time you want. Is it worth it? Many,many people think it is, and they put their money where their opinion is. Is it for everybody? Of course not.
My guests rent a nice off-the-water house that sleeps at least 8 people. The kids have the run of the whole town, don't need adult supervision unless they're toddlers, and nobody needs to get in car for a week, unless they want to go visit Sleeping Bear Dunes or a winery/farm market or whatever.
Figure two couples with 2 kids each, that'll set you back 300 bucks a night+ at least in a local hotel that's not any closer to the water than my house. Plus you get an entire house with a back yard, grill, patio, you name it. A terrific deal for folks who aren't able to be as extravegant as those in the lake houses a block away.
You know firsthand, bluebird, how much fun a vacation house can be, without breaking the bank.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:15 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Don't get me, or my comments wrong. I also have rented houses and condos while on vacation and will also say they are more bang for the buck than most motels I have ever stayed at. I also never knocked those who do rent places on the lake. What I was saying is that it is a crying shame what prices are sometimes expected (and gotten) for a dump in a decent location. Most of the rental properties that are rented on a week to week basis during the Summer are in great shape and make for a fabulous vacation. Others ride on these expectations and deliver a nightmare property that deserves it's own Chevy Chase movie to be made out of them. These don't get the repeat business, but frankly are not looking for it either. I've been told directly by one owner of these type places that even if the renter hates the house, who cares because there is always more to take their place. With that attitude it only takes a few to give the entire area a bad name for even the best places.

I've rented condos right on Colorado ski slopes, to beach houses in Maine. Beach houses on the gulf of Mexico, to Cottages overlooking the Columbia River. Great way to spend a little bit more on lodging, but save on every other aspect of a vacation. I've also never spent more than $2000 a week on any of them. I personally am glad there are those out there who can drop a few grand a week in my town. While it may not go directly to me, most owners are local and they spread around their income in the local community, so it all comes into town and a lot of it stays here and helps out more than a single owner. I like big spenders coming into town, as long as they don't act like their price of admission just bought them the right to act like a dick to the locals (which honestly is few and far between).

Old 07-19-2009, 06:53 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,525 times
Those prices seem logical.
For example, down here in Grand Isle, Louisiana, rental camp homes are $500-$3000 a week and booked solid despite 4 recent hurricanes including KAtrina and Gustav. They are rebuilding 500,000- 1 million $ homes on the island too. People will pay exorbitant prices for nice vacation spots, especially if, like Grand Isle, the fishing is superb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan