Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 07:59 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times

Advertisements

Glad to know that. My daughter is starting there in the fall for teaching. Maybe she will have a chance at a job after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 09:50 AM

63 posts, read 182,925 times
I have looked up and down in the state and have found hardly anything. My sister and her husband moved to North Carolina last year and taught down there. I just went to Tenn for an interview and will be starting down there in a couple of weeks. As much as I hate to move away I can not afford to sit by while nothing gets done to fix the problem. In my opinion it is only going to get worse and it will take along time to get better. When you have people moving out of state to get jobs you lose money and students. I will be enrolling 3 students in Tenn schools and Michigan will be losing roughly $30,000 from my children. Many people that are leaving are the working class with children so it is kind of a double edge sword.
Good luck to all in your search and maybe I will see you down south

Old 07-23-2009, 08:31 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyBundy View Post
I am in the middle of getting my teaching certification that will qualify me to teach math or psychology at the secondary level. Does anyone happen to know if I will have a good chance of finding employment in the state when I am done? I have about two years left to go.

As a special education teacher, I had to look else where for work ( aka OUT OF STATE)...I still have resume`s and applications out in Michigan but have not heard anything..one LONG term sub position n Genesee County...

Did get an email today from Bay City Schools saying I should apply via web site if I am interested...did not say they were hiring though?

I am also getting more emails from New Mexico ( applied on REAP in February) since taking the job here in North Carolina...

Improve your chances of staying in Michigan if you do a SCIENCE / MATH endorsement..PSYCHOLOGY is not going to get a teaching position...

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 07-23-2009 at 08:40 AM..

Old 07-23-2009, 12:51 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
My daughter is studying to be a music teacher. Probably not a lot of calling for them. I will try to get her to back up music with something else, but she hates math and science. It will probably be english or history.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:05 AM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times
I majored in math with a triple minor- ELA, social studies, and early childhood ed. I passed all my MTTC tests, so I could teach pre-K through 8. Like someone else said, I applied statewide and also landed only one interview- from my alma matter. The position went to the principal's daughter (surprise, surprise).
After subbing for 2 years, I packed up an moved to NC. I have a friend who is finally giving up after subbing for 5 years and applying everywhere. She is moving to Virginia.

Unless you are related to someone important, I would not count on a job in Michigan. I have several family members who are teachers, but that wasn't good enough. I didn't even get an interview in their districts. You may see postings now and again, but that is because they have to. 99 times out of 100, they already know who they are hiring and it is all just a formality.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:52 AM

21 posts, read 57,652 times
With a math certification you will be more likely than anyone else to get a job in MI. I just graduated from Albion College in Dec. I have a friend who got an english job in Michigan, he was a top of the line teacher and used great connections from student teaching. I didn't even try because I am history so I moved to TN and got a position with no problem.

I hate to say but no matter where you go (I wouldn't consider EMU the best teaching school in MI but some people do) you have to do the work yourself to find a job. You need to make connections as you go through school and keep up with them, thats your best shot of getting something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan