Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 05:27 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,056,563 times

Advertisements

They just appeared in my house a few days ago and they're driving me nuts. I've left bananas and pototoes out in bowls for years and have never had a problem until now. Think I'll try the vinegar, wine, or grape juice in bowls trap and see if it works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda53 View Post
I started gettin them last wk and there bad..No fruit or nothing left out so dont know where they come from...
They seem to be gravitating to any damn thing now...can't even leave a empty beer can on the sink for 5 minutes or they're all over that too.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:01 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times
Are you sure they're fruit flies, and not drain flies? The two look and act similar. If they are drain flies, you need to eradicate them at the source by cleaning out your sink drain. Otherwise no matter how many you catch, they'll just keep on appearing in your beer.
DIY pest control.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:15 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Are you sure they're fruit flies, and not drain flies? The two look and act similar. If they are drain flies, you need to eradicate them at the source by cleaning out your sink drain. Otherwise no matter how many you catch, they'll just keep on appearing in your beer.
DIY pest control.
I can't tell what they are. All I know is they are small and like to fly right in my face (particularly while drinking Cabernet).

Old 08-13-2009, 06:25 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times
I have a dog like that. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
I can't tell what they are. All I know is they are small and like to fly right in my face (particularly while drinking Cabernet).

Old 08-13-2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
DIY pest control.
I'm not sure which one they are but thanks for the link...good information there. Don't know how I can ID them though...they're too damn small!

Old 09-07-2009, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,667 times
He im new to this but i really need help. We don't leave anything out on the counters and our garbage can in closed. How the heck do i get rid of these little fly's? I tried puttting a glass of sugar water on the counter all night and not one was in it by the morning. They are making me crazy. They are all over the inside of my house and the outside. PLEASE HELP ANYONE!!!!

Old 09-08-2009, 05:58 AM

7 posts, read 17,907 times
Get a jar. Put some red wine, whiskey or bourbon in the jar*. Put two drops of liquid soap** in the jar and stir for a few seconds. Cover with clear plastic wrap; secure wrap with rubber band to prevent loosening. Poke 5-8 small holes in the plastic wrap; the holes should be slightly bigger than a fruit fly. Now you have a very good fruit fly trap. Leave it in your kitchen. After a week or so, your fruit flies will be gone. Create multiple traps to expedite the process. *It is best to use these types of liquids because the flies are attracted to the smell of fermentation. Sugar water will not attract the flies. **This step is key. Soap breaks the surface tension of the liquid such that when the fly touches the liquid, it will fall in and die. If you don't use soap, many of the flies will land on the surface of the liquid and fly back off.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:38 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,039 times
We've got lots up in Leelanau. Might have something to do with thousands and thousands of pounds of excess cherry production being left on trees, dumped and buried and left on the ground in orchards. Fruit fly farms. We get a wind from the south or east (instead of from the lake) and there are clouds of the little Cabernet-spoiling vermin plundering the town.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,618 times
I have never had a fruit fly problem before but for the past week or two they are relentless! Cleanliness and vacuuming them up serve simply to keep the numbers down but overall they are out of control. Very odd situation.
-Bellaire MI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan