Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 02:22 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,642,026 times

Advertisements

Two winters ago I suffered from that seasonal depression disorder. I simply could not tolerate the endless snow and cold. I HATE all the winter sports, but I've always loved walking and jogging. Once I lose that ability due to knee deep snow and ice I have a very hard time with these long winters. I don't consider it safe walking down the highway because even when it's plowed it still has slippery spots. I don't want to get hit by a car that is going too fast for the road conditions. I'm 55 and remember about 20 years ago the climate was quite different. We had summers of over 100 degrees many days in a row. One year it was 70 degrees on Christmas Day which was quite shocking. I probably wouldn't do well in climates that are the opposite with months of extreme heat and humidity, but I wish we would get back to a more normal seasonal pattern. I remember when I was a kid we had hot weather in May already, but in these later years it's a very cold month where I can't even put my garden in until June. I went down to Lake Michigan to catch a sunset last night and the night before. It was freezing. It left me wishing I had worn my arctic parka. I would miss the great lakes so much if I moved, but I do think about leaving just because it's getting harder and harder to take so much cold weather. I think about moving to Virginia a lot because it sounds like they have the four seasons but not such an extended winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 03:14 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
I'm 55 and remember about 20 years ago the climate was quite different. We had summers of over 100 degrees many days in a row.
I'm 46 and don't remember any of that weather pattern. Where about in MI were you? This area has never broken 100 degrees in the last 61 years (98 is the high for that time period).

Old 10-12-2009, 04:08 PM

I'm in the LP in the Manistee area. I'm 14 miles from town which is to my south. I wish I could remember when it was exactly, but I've never had AC in the house so I know there were years where it was unbearable with such extreme heat. I also remember telling my brother who by that time lived overseas that Michigan had changed a lot since he left. It's in my memory that there were fires in other areas in the country, and because it was so hot here we could see the haze from it. The year it was 70 degrees on Christmas goes back probably 30 years. I only recall one year where it was that warm in December. Summers the past two years in MI have not been good. Last year was better than this year. At least last year I had two wonderful days up in Leland when it was hot out and the town was buzzing with people. As I look out the window now it's just cold and rainy. I don't know what I'd do without my electric blanket.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:23 PM

You must be around Bear Lake then. Bear Lake and Manistee has only hit close to 100 once 60+ years. That was when it climbed to 99 on Aug, 18th 1988. We've never had continuous days over 100 in this part of Michigan. I was born and raised in the Ludington area and have had family in this area for 150 years. Just a few years ago (2005 if memory serves correctly) the ground was bare and it was close to 50 on New Years day. The climate isn't that much different from when we were kids around here, just not as much snow now. It has NEVER been a hot area, even during the Summer. Days and weeks in the mid 80's yes, in the 100's nope.

Last edited by Bydand; 10-12-2009 at 04:32 PM..

Old 10-12-2009, 04:29 PM

Yes, I'm in the Bear Lake area. I'm about 4 miles south of Bear Lake.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
Yes, I'm in the Bear Lake area. I'm about 4 miles south of Bear Lake.
Nice area. I've always liked Bear Lake for some reason. Can't put my finger on it exactly.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:51 PM

Bear Lake is nice. The best view of Lake Michigan is at a spot called Pierport. I go down there to take sunset photos, and we've got two artesian wells through this area. The one at Pierport is called "Old Faceful." It's what you'll get if you take a drink, but people bring their jugs and various containers down there for drinking water all the time. I'd miss the artesian wells if I moved.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:55 PM

939 posts, read 2,681,376 times
In July 1936, Traverse City was over 100F for 6 out of 7 days in early July of that year)

Traverse City data (July through December)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
You must be around Bear Lake then. Bear Lake and Manistee has only hit close to 100 once 60+ years. That was when it climbed to 99 on Aug, 18th 1988. We've never had continuous days over 100 in this part of Michigan. I was born and raised in the Ludington area and have had family in this area for 150 years. Just a few years ago (2005 if memory serves correctly) the ground was bare and it was close to 50 on New Years day. The climate isn't that much different from when we were kids around here, just not as much snow now. It has NEVER been a hot area, even during the Summer. Days and weeks in the mid 80's yes, in the 100's nope.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:11 PM

271 posts, read 664,950 times
It does seem early for snow, simply because of the hit and miss summer. 2 nice weeks in June, and 2-3 nice weeks in September, and that was about it. Everybody's crops are either running way late or just plain died. I wore my winter coat most of July. I chipped ice off my windshield August 30. However I've been here 33 years and I do remember pretty much every year having one snow before Halloween, and it never stayed. And it always seems to rain forever till it snows. So at least for Fall, we seem to be on track.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:38 PM

3 posts, read 6,743 times
One just needs to learn how to dress. You don't see shorts in Michigan much, even in the summer. Flannel-lined jeans are great in winter and layers, layers, layers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan