Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 12:08 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times

Advertisements

Just keep calling the police as many times as it takes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 12:46 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Just keep calling the police as many times as it takes
Yes. If you want to start a war. However if you do this, you had better never make noise, never allow your lawn to grow over 3 ". Never put your trash out early or put the cans back in late. Never have a bonfire party without a permit. Hope that you never have teenagers. Unfortuantely what you deal out will be dealt back. I learned the hard way.

The aggressive abrasive approach should be reserved for those few occaisions where nice is met with nastiness and you realize that you are going to war with this particular neighbor anyway and there is no stopping it. Otherwise. . . .

Cookies cookies. Cookies.

Ever hear the saying "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" ?

there is wisdom in a lot fo those old sayings.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:58 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Yes. If you want to start a war. However if you do this, you had better never make noise, never allow your lawn to grow over 3 ". Never put your trash out early or put the cans back in late. Never have a bonfire party without a permit. Hope that you never have teenagers. Unfortuantely what you deal out will be dealt back. I learned the hard way.

The aggressive abrasive approach should be reserved for those few occaisions where nice is met with nastiness and you realize that you are going to war with this particular neighbor anyway and there is no stopping it. Otherwise. . . .

Cookies cookies. Cookies.

Ever hear the saying "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" ?

there is wisdom in a lot fo those old sayings.
I tried the 'I work at home and the dogs are a pain in the rear' discussion, but when it comes to the police issue I've done it and you do not have to give your name and address when making a complaint like this. Also, I have 4 dogs of my own and take in foster dogs and I am respectful enough to my neighbors to not allow them to stay out and bark incessintly. In fact one of the dogs I have came from an apartment dweller where the dog cried all day. I allow dogs to be dogs during the day. there will be some barking that's natural so I'm completely fair about it - but when people are rude and have no respect for people around them it's another matter. And allowing your grass to grow more than 3 inches isn't keeping you from sleeping nor is it a noise issue. I also know when the neighbors next to me let their dog out in the morning and wait to let mine out to avoid barkfest.

I suggest the police so that you do not have a war with your neighbors by confronting them yourself - let them handle it anonymously and keep your neighborness in tact.

Last edited by Thursday007; 08-21-2009 at 01:17 PM..

Old 08-21-2009, 03:10 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Your negihbors will still know who called the police. Sometimes the police mess up and tell them. We had that happen several times. However even if they do not tell them, they will figure it out.

I am not sure why they have not brought cookies or something to welcome the new neighbor already anyway. Whatever happened to welcome wagon?

Old 08-21-2009, 04:38 PM

266 posts, read 853,141 times
I actually clicked on this thread because, after seeing the title, I was afraid it was about me! We just moved and we have 3 small dogs and lots of neighbors. However, we're home all day and the dogs just go outside to potty (or for walks). They LOVE to bark at the other neighborhood dogs, but hey - they're dogs. Most people around here have dogs so they understand a little barking, and so far nobody has been excessive, including ours. Our neighbors who are home all the time told us that the dogs never ever bark when we're not home. Which makes me think they're bad watchdogs! But nice polite dogs at least.

Anyway, as someone who just moved into a new neighborhood, I wouldn't mind at all if the neighbors came over to say hi and mentioned "By the way, your dogs seem pretty upset when you're at work, they bark all day! Could I recommend somebody to walk them or something so they might calm down a bit?" I'd be embarrassed but would not be mad at the neighbors at all!

On the other hand, if someone called the police on us without even attempting to address the situation personally, I would be DEVASTATED. If I didn't know who had done it, I would hate ALL the neighbors and would never talk to anybody again, and would feel like I had moved into the meanest, most hateful neighborhood in the USA. I'm not exaggerating! I'm very sensitive that way.

They're human beings. They want to be good neighbors and have good neighbors. Just approach them, they're probably nice people (just like me)!

Old 08-21-2009, 04:52 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times
Ditto - as I said in an earlier post, when I've moved, I make a point of introducing myself to neighbors and telling them that if my dogs are annoying or intrusive in any way, please let me know. My dogs aren't barky and are never outside when I'm not home.

I once had someone call on a car I'd parked...well long story and it was years ago, but I didn't realise that it was illegal to park an unregistered car on the street. It was towed, and cost me a bundle to get out of the impound lot. I'm a very approachable person - why on earth didn't this aggrieved neighbor simply come tell me to move the darn thing if it bothered them that much? I would have moved it PDQ, no hard feelings. As it was, I never knew who called but I had my suspicion...I really thought it was chicken**** to bother the police with something like that without even coming to me first. They took up cop time for something BS, and I had to pay over $200 to get the stupid car back. I figured the neighbors were cowards or meanspirited or both. Hardly made for neighborly feelings.

And yes, I know it was towed because of a complaint call - they did tell me that, but wouldn't say who called. After that incident I resolved never to be a coward like that and to at least go talk to a neighbor if I felt like something they were doing was seriously impinging on my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanniepep View Post

Anyway, as someone who just moved into a new neighborhood, I wouldn't mind at all if the neighbors came over to say hi and mentioned "By the way, your dogs seem pretty upset when you're at work, they bark all day! Could I recommend somebody to walk them or something so they might calm down a bit?" I'd be embarrassed but would not be mad at the neighbors at all!

On the other hand, if someone called the police on us without even attempting to address the situation personally, I would be DEVASTATED. If I didn't know who had done it, I would hate ALL the neighbors

Old 08-21-2009, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,115 times
I to had this problem. I simply created a document explaining how thier barking dog was very annoying, that I was going to call the police EVERY TIME thier dog barked repeatably, and that I to had a right to sit on my patio, or keep my door open without having to listen to this crap.

I delivered this note under the darkness of night into thier mailbox (appx 5 letters) and I now enjoy a peaceful summer.

IT IS GREAT!!!!

Old 08-21-2009, 06:12 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times
Why didn't you go simply talk to them face to face instead of sneaking around putting five letters in their mailbox? Which BTW is a federal offense, in case you didn't know. This is what I meant by cowardly.

Cops really resent having to take "barking dog" calls, generally. They would have hated you, trust me on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinaannv View Post
I to had this problem. I simply created a document explaining how thier barking dog was very annoying, that I was going to call the police EVERY TIME thier dog barked repeatably, and that I to had a right to sit on my patio, or keep my door open without having to listen to this crap.

I delivered this note under the darkness of night into thier mailbox (appx 5 letters) and I now enjoy a peaceful summer.

IT IS GREAT!!!!

Old 08-21-2009, 06:35 PM

266 posts, read 853,141 times
Wow, I think Coldjensens and Chiroptera are the only people on this thread I'd want as neighbors.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:24 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,746 times
No cops , no code enforcement. I just went through this with my neighbor in FL and it blew up in my face. My dad lives in my house down there and he egged me on to call on the lady behind me about a shed she put closer than 5 feet to my fence. When the code officer came out he told me she had called on me in retaliation and it really ticked him off that he had to come out there in the first place.

So my vegetation was a little high and there are race car parts and a restoration project vehicle in the yard and she turned me in for that, and next thing I get a letter up here saying get it cleaned up in 2 weeks or it's $250 a day. It caused me a lot of headache and some money, but it sure wasn't worth it over a shed 18" to close to my fence. This code officer I dealt with was not happy he got put in a spot to play referee, I just couldn't imagine a cop wanting to deal with a barking dog situation.

Best to just have a face to face chat with the nieghbors IMO, they'll probably see your point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: