Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 06:35 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,275,986 times

Advertisements

We have new neighbors right behind us. They have 2 yappy little dogs. They have left for work and left one outside. This thing WILL NOT SHUT UP!!!! Oh my god it has been barking non stop for the last hour and is really getting on my nerves like no other dog ever has. So much so I just screamed out my doorwall for it to shut up! Now it ran back up to the house and is barking from there. I hate to make a stink because we still have not even met them and I hate for our first conversation to be " Hey can you shut your dog up?". Anyone else ever been in this situation? If so what did you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 07:45 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,034,491 times
Start with getting some video evidence. Don't identify yourself to the neighbors because they will hate you forever for complaining about their dogs. There are lots of options you can choose, but the only one that really works is calling the police and getting them to witness the nuisance and have them contact the neighbors.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:19 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
I have dealt with similar problems in several ways. (Code enforement, police, sleeping pills (for the dog), letters). My way is not the best way. My wife's way is the best way. Make them some cookies. Go to their house and welcome them and give them cookies. During the conversation, mention "by the way, there is a dog barking all day around here that drives me nuts. Could that be your dog? Can you tell me how to make him quiet?"

If that cookies method fails, then turn to my way. That is where the video might be useful. However the cookie method never failed so I did not get to do my thing once we discovered how effective my wifes way is. .

We had a dog that did that to our neighbors once. They called us but we were not home. They left a very polite message that we could not understand because all we could hear was woof woof woof. We were motirified. Our dog was inside, but he jumped up on the kitchen sink and barked out our kitchen window into their bedroom window.

We brought them some cookies and spent the next few weeks trying to make it up to them. The dog was confined to a different part of the house whenever we were away.

Funny thing is that particular dog was to really a barker. We had him for a year prior to that and he never parked at them before. I never had the opportunity to ask them what it was that they were doing in their bedroom that set the dog off like that.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:13 AM

19,517 posts, read 9,537,245 times
We've had that happen too. I seriously do not mind some barking because, I know with two of our own, it's a "doggie thing". However, I don't understand in these crazy times why someone would want to leave their pet outside, unsupervised, for hours on end. They run the risk [even with some types of fenced-in yards] of being taken, escaping, and injury by other creatures that can get into the yard.

Like your wifes' idea. If that doesn't work, there's this 'no bark' device on the market now [looks like a birdhouse] that supposedly can get the animal to stop. Don't know how well it works or even if it does. Would have to do some research on that.

We used to have neighbor's dogs that everytime they got to go out [often and for hours at a time], they would immediately come running over into our yard and under the deck to bark like wild banshees. It would drive our two dogs inside crazy. Once we got enough money together, we had a fence installed. The neighbor wanted to attach a fence to our one side. That way they wouldn't have to pay as much. Didn't like that idea, not entirely for that reason, but the fact that the dogs were nasty diggers and would dig up underneath. We had our fence on that one side so it was closer in to our house, even though it would have been nice to have that extra area. I didn't trust them that one day they would attempt that. True enough, they almost did that when they had hired someone to put up their fence as if they didn't have enough area already. You know the saying, give an inch and they'll take a mile.

Sometimes being nice to someone, has a tendency to backfire and the next thing you know, you're being taken advantage of. I don't say by everyone just a certain type. Glad though that they did get their yard fenced in [finally], altho the dogs still bark and have been known to be out alone all night long. I guess I'm just relieved that they're not rushing over into our yard anymore. I think I feel more sorry for the animals than contempt for the neighbors who let their dogs out like that.

I can also understand situations where a dog breaks free but when owners just open up the door and let their dogs go out, that's just plain irresponsible! I could tell you some stories while I was out with one of my dogs - on leash, but it'll take up too much space as I've done enough rambling, but boy, it feels good.

I hope you find something that works for you.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:17 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,275,986 times
See we have two dogs of our own. They are never outside for long periods unless we are home. If they start to bark ( and being BIG dogs they bark loud) I bring them in right away. I don't leave them out there barking all day and night.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:24 AM

19,517 posts, read 9,537,245 times
I Wish We Were Neighbors !!!!
I have to get up really early in the morning Mon-Fri. As soon as I turn on the deck light, I can hear them barking so I know they've been out all night long but I still need to let ours go out. Sometimes they'll do a quick bark in response to the neighbors' dogs, but if I can get in the "do your business", first then there's no barking by my two at all.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:04 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,604,439 times
I watched a Seinfeld episode once where Newman, Kramer and Elaine came up with a pretty good solution.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:52 AM

137 posts, read 331,681 times
Try this...

Just kidding - it's a pig.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you silence the neigbors yappy dog?-no-more-barking-dog.jpg  

Old 08-19-2009, 11:50 AM

6 posts, read 30,613 times
You have to go the route coldjensen goes since you are neighbours,or you can be anti neighbour as many do.However, there is nothing the municipality can do for you regarding nuissances during the day.The code enforcement applies after 10 PM and it is observed anywhere.I would not care if dogs barked,but come summer bikers really get into your nerves.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:28 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
BBQ time. Have 'em over and politely discuss it. They prob'ly don't know what's goin' on when they're not home.

It is kinda weird that they leave the dog outside unattended though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: