U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 04:52 PM

8,885 posts, read 18,565,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
I'm in Colorado now, actually. This might be ground zero for social conservatism in America! Colorado Springs and Denver are both filled with megachurches and evangelical organizations. I was just curious what Michigan held for the same type of folks.

If you're looking for a "mega-church" type evangelical organization, I believe suydam is referring to Resurrection Life Church in Wyoming/Grandville. It is like a small city, with a coffee shop, bookstore, youth center, and much more inside.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 10:14 AM

485 posts, read 900,461 times
Default Avoid Lansing/Ingham County

Though I live in probably the most "conservative" burb of Lansing (which isn't saying much), we are still in Ingham County which is ruled by Democrats. I think something like 11 or 12 of the 13 total commissioners are Dem's. High taxes rule. If I could move to a more conservative area like West Mich. I probably would. Good people here but the political landscape leads to policies that go against what I believe or support.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:10 PM

5 posts, read 31,742 times
My husband and I live in Zeeland, and LOVE it! It's very conservative, and there are lots of evangelical churches in the area. We live in a new development that is close to everything, but still surrounded by farmland. The only caution I would give you is that the west side of MI can be tough to break into socially, if you're not dutch. (I don't want to offend any of you dutchys out there) The dutch are great people, and really value tight knit families. Unfortunately, this can lead to them socializing mainly with their families, and not being real welcoming. I'm speaking from experience, in that my huband was raised in Holland, and is 100% dutch, and I am a transplant. They are very kind, loyal people ( and yes, the cheap jokes are true-LOL!) it just can take a little determination to break in. PM me if you'd like more specific info on churches or whatever! Blessings on your search!

Old 05-29-2007, 07:20 PM

22,376 posts, read 11,798,635 times
Ottawa County tends to vote around 70% in favor of Republican Presidents.

Cities in Ottawa County are:

Spring Lake
Holland
Zeeland
Grand Haven
Coopersville
Ferrysburg
Jenison

among many others

Old 05-29-2007, 07:21 PM

695 posts, read 3,249,447 times
Oakland County, parts like Bloomfield Hills and the like. (Hate to say it, but more wealthy areas.)

Old 05-30-2007, 07:55 PM

54 posts, read 248,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eichunchen View Post
My husband and I live in Zeeland, and LOVE it! It's very conservative, and there are lots of evangelical churches in the area. We live in a new development that is close to everything, but still surrounded by farmland. The only caution I would give you is that the west side of MI can be tough to break into socially, if you're not dutch. (I don't want to offend any of you dutchys out there) The dutch are great people, and really value tight knit families. Unfortunately, this can lead to them socializing mainly with their families, and not being real welcoming. I'm speaking from experience, in that my huband was raised in Holland, and is 100% dutch, and I am a transplant. They are very kind, loyal people ( and yes, the cheap jokes are true-LOL!) it just can take a little determination to break in. PM me if you'd like more specific info on churches or whatever! Blessings on your search!
As a Dutch-American I can attest to that. Although, I don't like to attribute my idiosyncrasies to my ethnicity, I find myself being thrifty. I guess this sense of thrift has helped translate many Dutch into very industrious business minded folk.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:43 PM

28 posts, read 156,441 times
Many Dutch Reformed in the Grand Rapids area. My county, Allegan County is very conservative and full of Republicans. My girlfriend lived in Holland for awhile and said they have a saying there 'if you ain't Dutch, you ain't much'. She felt that people weren't very friendly to her as she was an 'outsider'.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:51 PM

16 posts, read 22,970 times
Grand Rapids is pretty conservative, but I think you'd be very happy with the Grand Haven/Spring Lake area. It's more conservative than Grand Rapids, has a mall, and there are a TON of churches.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:24 PM

54 posts, read 248,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelstar490 View Post
Many Dutch Reformed in the Grand Rapids area. My county, Allegan County is very conservative and full of Republicans. My girlfriend lived in Holland for awhile and said they have a saying there 'if you ain't Dutch, you ain't much'. She felt that people weren't very friendly to her as she was an 'outsider'.
One question, how did the Dutch discern your girlfriend as non-Dutch?

Did your girlfriend associate small talk as a sign of "friendly" behavior. You also have to understand that the Dutch are not 'gab' oriented. A recent wave of Dutch immigrants have made their way to Grand Rapids suburbs as early as the sixties. Some of the Dutch in West Michigan are first and second generation so the parents have carried over their customs and social folkways. One of those folkways that seems to be noticed more frequently is lack of small talk. Its not simply because there is a bias, but sometimes that is how they operate.

It is not fair to say that the Dutch-Americans are intolerant. However, It is also worth noting that the Dutch-Americans that are coming over from their homeland are fleeing something. A teacher of mine in high school was Dutch and came here explicitly to flea an environment not conducive of her Christian faith.

Old 09-07-2007, 04:46 PM

1 posts, read 6,278 times
Hi, all! I just registered, was digging through the forums and stumbled across this thread. I live in Holland, and it's pretty great, lots of churches, plus the devoses and some of the other best republicans in the state all live or have homes out here. I've always found people to be friendly but that's probably because I grew up here (I barely have any dutch in me though).

The city has done a pretty good job of keeping its dutch character and flaver in the face of all the changing jobs and people who can't keep jobs trying to move here, why people want to come spoil the good places to live is beyond me LOL

If your lookingfor a good church around here I try to go here sometimes, except its footbal season again LOL! Christ Memorial Church | Home Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan