Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2008, 10:13 AM

20 posts, read 55,787 times

Advertisements

HI,

I'm planning to apply the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor next year to do an MBA. I wanna know how good is the MBA program? How is the city in terms of cost of living compared to other cities in general?. How good are the job opportunities in the marketing/advertising industry? Any advice would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 11:40 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,451,694 times
I would say U of M's B-school is at the 1b level - not elite but with a national reputation. Unless you are shooting for a power position at an international hedge fund or have aspirations of running a country, you will be more than adequately served by an MBA from Ann Arbor.

Ann Arbor is about as cheap as it will get for a top-notch MBA. It's probably closest in cost to Ithaca and Durham - maybe a little more expensive than Charlottesville and Hanover.

The main drawback with Ross is that you won't be competing for too many jobs on your "home turf." You'll be going to Chicago and the Coasts once you're done unless you want to do marketing for the Big 3 - not exactly the best prospects in the waning days of the Detroit auto industry. My brother-in-law graduated for Ross and now works for Boeing. A good friend is also an alum and works in LA. Good luck.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:50 PM

11 posts, read 32,959 times
Look like we are heading in opposite directions, but maybe we can help each other!

My post: Moving from Michigan to Puerto Rico fall of 2010. Can anyone help?

I currently live in Traverse City, MI. (NW lower peninsula) I have spent lots of time in ann arbor as I was planning on getting my under grad at UM. I ended going to Western Michigan for financial reasons.

Ann Arbor:

The cost of living in AA is i bit higher than the rest of Michigan. The rent of a one bedroom apt. can range from 600-1500. Proximity to town and campus being the determining factor. You would have more to choose from if you came early in the summer months when most undergrads are back home asking mom and dad for more money.

As far as work goes, AA has a lower unemployment rate compared to the rest of michigan but that isn't saying much. Im sure you have marketable skills that others from the area might not. I would assume you are bilingual. I feel with a good resume and those skills you have a real good chance at finding work in any industry. There are good jobs to be had.

UM is as good as any school as any. Believe me i looked.

The town is great. Very progressive.

Shoot me your email if I can help more. Maybe you could help me too!!

C

Old 12-05-2009, 10:18 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,061,285 times
Let me put it this way...if you have any chance of gaining admission to U of M's MBA program...you probably wouldn't need to ask how good it is; you'd already be considering the top programs and would be well aware of its status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan