U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 10:58 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,685,149 times

Advertisements

To our friend in Westlake, if you want to visit Flint but can't make the drive to Michigan, try a day in Youngstown-Warren!
If you are stuck out with me on the plains, I highly suggest Rockford (Illinois) or Terre Haute (Indiana). You'll visit once, but never again.

Grand Blanc is relatively nice (only suburb of Flint that I can say so), but Fenton is nothing special. It's on my list of Midwestern hickvilles.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 09:13 AM

3,830 posts, read 6,322,616 times
Wow! Everyone is very harsh! I would not live in the city of Flint if you paid me. Not in Burton, either. However, most of the suburbs are nice. Davison is a very nice town. Grand Blanc is nice as well. The wealthiest area. However, the people are not as friendly. Flushing is another very nice community. Clio is OK. Fenton, Lake Fenton and Linden are pretty nice. Swartz Creek is OK. I'd stay away from Mt Morris. Goodrich is nice, but very small. Otisville is very small and a poor area. Schools are not so great.
If I were to rank the schools, 1. Davison, 2. Flushing, 3. Grand Blanc, 4. Goodrich, 5. Lake Fenton

Old 06-04-2007, 10:56 AM

86 posts, read 446,164 times
Hi there! I grew up in Flint, live in Davison now but buying my first house in Flint this summer. I agree with what a previous poster said, we need more good people to come live here, get involved, vote and volunteer and help bring the city back. Some areas to look at include Mott Park, college cultural neighborhood (near Mott Community College and the Flint Cultural Center), and certain areas of downtown (a few historic houses are up for sale if you're into that kinda thing). Avoid any streets named after a state, most anything near Hurley Hospital and points north. If you have children, though, I would recommend one of the suburbs for the schools - Davison, Grand Blanc, Flushing, etc. - though the homes are much higher priced outside the city limits. Good luck!

Old 06-04-2007, 12:44 PM

850 posts, read 1,821,870 times
i took some art classes at the FIA in past years and although flint is not the perfect city, i do like it for a couple of reasons. i always viewed flint as a diverse city, i feel the people there are very real and friendly, and i think it has potential to be much more. maybe its just me but living in whiteyville with a bunch of suburbanites gets rather boring. (i am white btw, not that it matters) obviously you don't go walking around bad neighborhoods late a night by yourself, but i've never felt unsafe there. just my 2 cents.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:23 PM

22 posts, read 93,686 times
"There are also areas in Flint that are great to live in as well. Some areas would be the Berry Patch, Southern Flint (Burton)."

Thats funny you say that because a little ceasers delivery guy was robbed the other day a he shot one of them hoodlum kids. I live here and its the projects. I was right around the corner from it when it happend. take my advice FLINT is not good. i feel so ancy to getout of here theres nothing but depressing people here every one is so negative ! its sounds crazy to think its that bad. i prmise u this youll never get rid of a house here if you buy it!

GOOG lUCK

Old 06-04-2007, 04:59 PM

66 posts, read 335,316 times
Flint has some decent areas but the people living there feel like polar bears on a melting ice cap. Their protected habitat is shrinking by the day. Flint's only hope is to partner with the suburbs. It will happen but the north side of Flint is a junkyard in serious need of bulldozers to just knock whole city blocks down and resod.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:50 PM

11 posts, read 42,259 times
Perhaps Swartz Creek or Davison is an option for you- There are pockets of Flint that are very nice but...any way you slice it - it is Flint- Rent the movie Roger and Me-

Last edited by Kevin Smith; 06-05-2007 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-06-2007, 02:48 PM

314 posts, read 408,569 times
Well, I was born in Flint, grew up in Burton (next to flint) and just moved from Grand Blanc, MI to Savannah, Georgia. Here is some advice;

Stay away from the east side, the north end, mt morris, clio, or flint for that matter.
Areas that are nice, Grand Blanc, Goodrich, Fenton, heck even Davison, Swartz Creek and Lapeer.

I do not know if you have children of school age or not but in case you do you need to know that in Michigan, school boundaries are set up by township and city lines (well, most times they are) instead of by county lines. What does this mean? simply that you can have great school systems and crappy school systems in the same county. For instance, Genesee county is what covers Flint and some of the surrounding areas and in Genesee county you have Beecher schools, in my opinion one of the worst schools in the whole freakin' state. Test scores are terrible, crime is terrible. Also, in Genesee county you have the Grand Blanc school system, again in my opinion, one of the best in the state. Do your research, especially crime statistics.

If it were me, I would not live in Flint anywhere, not even Flint township.

Again, my opinion and not meant to offend anyone.

Michael

Last edited by MichaelBC; 06-06-2007 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 07-18-2007, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 8,554 times
I Live on the soutside of Flint and have been here for 58 years. was born and raised on the northend moved to the soutend 35 years ago .Ive seen Flint Go from one of the Best Cities in the United States to one that is the worest! I dont have a chance in Hell to sell my house and cant find a job! if I was thinking of moving to Flint I would Look father North like up around the Indian River Area

Old 07-19-2007, 04:08 PM

607 posts, read 2,918,718 times
Flint is a dangerous place, the most dangerous city in Michigan, post as having the highest murder rate in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan