Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 08:33 AM

2 posts, read 8,073 times

Advertisements

Looking to move June 23 from Louisiana. Areas I have been looking at but not limited too; West Bloomfield, Troy, Farmington Hills. I will be working at a Hospital in Southfield btw. At least a 3 bedroom home with two car garage.

Terms I am looking for:
Lease: Option to break lease without penilty. I will require at least a 3 month
notice if you are not going to renew my next lease.
Rent: $1200/mth
Deposit: none
Pets: 1 indoor only cat (13yrs old)

It will be for a family of 4. Children (3 and newborn)
90% chance I will live in MI until I finish my residence but in medicine never say never, hence the option to break lease. I plan on staying for sure for 2 years then possible another 4 years after that. I must have pictures up and down the street, the house (in and out) and the address. Email me and let me know what you have. I am pretty easy going.
Thanks
Jeff

Last edited by Dr.D; 05-03-2007 at 08:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 01:55 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.D View Post
Looking to move June 23 from Louisiana. Areas I have been looking at but not limited too; West Bloomfield, Troy, Farmington Hills. I will be working at a Hospital in Southfield btw. At least a 3 bedroom home with two car garage.

Terms I am looking for:

90% chance I will live in MI until I finish my residence but in medicine never say never, hence the option to break lease. I plan on staying for sure for 2 years then possible another 4 years after that. I must have pictures up and down the street, the house (in and out) and the address. Email me and let me know what you have. I am pretty easy going.
Thanks
Jeff
Hi Jeff, this is Jeff, and I just moved to Michigan from So Cal last year.
First of all, prepair yourself for about 50 posts from people who will tell you to not move here, it's horrible, ect ect...
Ignore them, and may I be the first to welcome you early!
Although it's numbers look good on paper, and it is a safe town with good schools, Troy is a souless strip mall town. The only part I would consider living in is the expensive southwest side of town, near Birmingham.
I have just rented a house in Royal Oak, which is in the area your looking at. Good luck trying to find one without a deposit, probably won't happen. Most require at least a month and a half deposit. As far as price goes for what your looking for, your about right on, depending on how nice you want the house to be. As far as terms go, if you want the option to bail early, they will definately want a deposit.
The following towns are near Southfield. They in general have decent schools, are safe, and in addition have a vibrant vibe along with neighborhoods that aren't cookie-cutter. (I hate cookie-cutter subdivisions, that is all that California has!) The neighborhoods are older, well kept homes with tree lined streets:
Royal Oak
Berkley
Birmingham (very overpriced, but very upscale)
Beverly Hills
Clawson
Farmington
Bingham Farms
Lathrup Village
Ferndale
Pleasant Ridge
Huntington Woods
Let me know if this helps! Good luck and welcome to Michigan.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:11 PM

2 posts, read 8,073 times
Thanks for taking the time to post. Can you recommend any resouces for finding a rent house in MI? Rent.com seems to be the only one I have had any luck with so far.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:01 AM

31 posts, read 198,801 times
Default try craigs list

There are lots of listings there, especially with what you are looking for.

www.craigslist.com

The areas Jeff listed are great places to live.

Old 05-04-2007, 05:58 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,342 times
Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to post. Can you recommend any resouces for finding a rent house in MI? Rent.com seems to be the only one I have had any luck with so far.
I honestly don't know. We went through a Century 21 Realtor. I would say look at the Oakland Press online, maybe? Or Google to find other local papers.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:15 AM

800 posts, read 4,297,991 times
Definitely look at the classifieds of the Detroit News and Detroit Free Press on Sunday...See if you can buy a copy and have it sent to you or look at their on-line classifieds...Their coverage is for the entire Metro Detroit area. Oakland Press is a good starting point, but there just won't be as many ads, etc.

Old 05-05-2007, 04:58 PM

3,291 posts, read 9,187,103 times
You might want to consider checking the Toledo Metro area since some of Downriver is considered part of that metro as well as Detroit's.

Craigslist is a good resource, just don't limit yourself to Detroit's...check Ann Arbor's and Toledo's. Liz

Old 05-30-2007, 07:46 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,452,835 times
Quote:

Terms I am looking for:

Thanks
Jeff
I don't doubt that you can get all your demands, but I doubt you'll get a neighborhood that you are comfortable with. If you are guaranteed 2 years, why the need to break a lease? Why not just sign one year to year or for two years even?

The towns suggested are a good place to start. If you give some more details about what is important to you in a neighborhood, I'm sure people could help narrow it down further. Good luck!

Old 07-05-2007, 06:49 AM

3 posts, read 7,674 times
craigs is good way to go - it's free so many get put there even by agents - i have 5 bed 1 acre for rent in rochester @1900/mo - maybe a little high & further than you like to drive

Old 07-05-2007, 07:47 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
Try realtor.com. It actually compiles data from most of the area Realtor Association MLS systems (legally).

They have a rental section here:

REALTOR.com: Home and Real Estate Search - Advanced Search

Then you can plug in your criteria (city, price range, size, sf, etc..).
I'd run it by zip code rather than by city.

DKD Oakland County District View

BTW: Toledo is a LONG drive from Southfield, so is Ann Arbor, especially if you are going to be working late and early morning shifts. Are you required to live within a certain distance of the hospital for on-call shifts?

I'd stick with the Oakland Co. suburban areas like Farmington Hills, Novi, Birmingham, Plymouth, etc... Also, we have friends who live in Berkley (East of Southfield near Royal Oak), which has a lot of great old tree-lined neighborhoods, well-kept homes, with a lot solidly built bungalows.

You may have to bump up your rent rate a little though. $1200/mo is not a lot for an entire home.

Good luck and welcome to Michigan!

Last edited by magellan; 07-05-2007 at 08:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan