Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 06:09 PM

38 posts, read 121,353 times

Advertisements

I really don't have a problem with this, I usually buy alot of big ticket items online. I'm sure I'm not the only ONE that goe's to "best buy", find exactly what I want... go home and buy it of ebay! Cheaper and TAX FREE. As time goes on more people will do this, so I can't see this GST tax helping anything. But save me money on income tax. If I'm understanding this proposal correctly, It's a little late in the game for this. Michigan's economic troubles will probably be worse as more people buy stuff online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 09:53 AM

54 posts, read 259,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
The big problem is the perception...

IF you have your income tax deducted out of your paycheck before you get it, you don't seem to miss it as badly. Having to fork it over every time you buy something makes it SEEM harder to deal with.

There is just something about not seeing the money actually in your paycheck to not miss it as much.

I suspect it will cause less tourism in the state cause the burden of taxes will also fall on the visitor buying anything in state from gas to food and other stuff. Liz
You make one hell of a good point. Michigan's economy is also reliant on the tourism industry. I don't see how Michigan can remain competitive with this fair tax philosophy.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:56 AM

54 posts, read 259,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
The big problem is the perception...

IF you have your income tax deducted out of your paycheck before you get it, you don't seem to miss it as badly. Having to fork it over every time you buy something makes it SEEM harder to deal with.

There is just something about not seeing the money actually in your paycheck to not miss it as much.

I suspect it will cause less tourism in the state cause the burden of taxes will also fall on the visitor buying anything in state from gas to food and other stuff. Liz
You make one hell of a good point. Michigan's economy is also reliant on the tourism industry. I don't see how Michigan can remain competitive with this fair tax philosophy. Add to this, some downtowns have an added hotel tax which could also effect that tourism industry in our cities if the base of sales tax is increased further.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:10 PM

136 posts, read 621,087 times
This will hurt the poorest of the population most. And they are being impacted enough by the loss of jobs in Michigan. I just don't think it's that great an idea to let businesses get off without paying taxes. I don't think it will attract more business, although that is apparantly its intent.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:38 AM

32 posts, read 115,019 times
More tax of people who are loosing their jobs, great plan, dam michigan is the new apalachia of the us. when you move here thay should pass out slim jims and flip flops to all who are going north.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:43 AM

418 posts, read 1,785,124 times
I don't know...if they abolish the state tax, it might be OK. I'm moving up there from Texas, and we don't have a state tax. I have to say, we really thought long and hard about this move, due to MI having state tax. And also, due to MI being...well...MI!

But really, we pay 8.25% sales tax in Texas, and our economy is doing well. It might not hurt MI.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:41 AM

111 posts, read 485,334 times
A sales tax increase will further distribute the load of the state to all citizens. Right now you have a wide breadth of people not contributing to the tax base. Those people will be forced to when they go out and buy their $200 Nike shoes every couple of months.

I can't see anything bad in equalizing the taxation among all people. But I would like to see this law include a guarantee they won't reinstate the income tax, and if they do, they'll have to drop the sales tax back down. Somehow, with how untrustworthy useless politicans have proved themselves to be, they might be trying to snake us.

Overall, if the plan has guarantees, I can't see it being a bad thing.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:36 PM

38 posts, read 121,353 times
Thats a good point! This could just backfire, and we'll end up with even higher taxes. We need some kind of guarntees. 9.25% w/NO income tax instead of 6% w/income tax, would be better for me, but might reck tourism.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:30 PM

32 posts, read 115,019 times
all this tax hike will do is move more people on the fringe out of this state.
We already have a - growth.
you can not tax a state into prosparity.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:55 PM

418 posts, read 1,785,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adler2u View Post
all this tax hike will do is move more people on the fringe out of this state.
We already have a - growth.
you can not tax a state into prosparity.
I dunno...if they got rid of the state tax, it would make me more willing to live there. It's one of the things about Texas that most people love.

I HATE that I'm moving to a place that has a state tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan