U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-13-2012, 12:03 PM
 
1,058 posts, read 1,035,336 times
Reputation: 624

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I would not think you were a drug dealer wearing that, I might figure you are a metrosexual, but not a drug dealer. UNless you mean a bunch of Gucci gold chains or alligator boots.
I don't know about that....

Rate this post positively

 
Old 11-26-2012, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Fort Worth, TX
1,470 posts, read 1,612,783 times
Reputation: 1599
Smile Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by delayed View Post
After reading through this thread I am left with a question in my head that perhaps some one can answer logically instead of emotionally. What is wrong with a town being intolerant of change? Generations of people have it one way for so long and then all of a sudden for whatever reason someone decides it can't be this way anymore and so they force this "progressive" change upon people who don't want it. Is your cause so important to you that you would rather be made to feel uncomfortable in your own skin to prove some point, then to just stay away? I am perplexed by the reasoning here. I am now going to get very specific instead of speaking in general analogy. If a town is a "white" town, what makes a minority want to move there? To me it seems like they are asking for the type of treatment the op is experiencing.

Do you want to be that first one, the first minority to break the generational cycle of intolerance? Your cause is a futile as it is noble. Just because someone thinks this is the way it should be, doesn't mean that the rest of the population will, or has to agree with you.

So what is it that drives a black family to move to a white neighborhood? Are there no black neighborhoods they would want to live in? Is it a badge of success? Why? I thought we were all equal... no? I just want someone to help me to understand the drive behind this phenomena. I as a white European would never one day decide, "You know what? I'm tired of my white neighborhood. I'm moving to a black, mexican, asian, muslim..etc neighborhood" Also, on that note, I would never look at a ethnic minority neighborhood and think to myself, "You know what? They need to be more tolerant of white people in their neighborhood, I'm packing up my family and moving us right into the center of it and putting my children in their schools." No. I would expect the slanderous activity the op described experiencing in Howell. Mexican Town, China Town, Greek Town, Middle Eastern Town... White Town? OUT OF THE QUESTION!

Help me understand.

Ryan
Ok I'll try to think logically; maybe people do not want to be told no, or it's impossible or they don't belong. If something is off hands, it becomes more appealing. Furthermore, things like school and children? Well people want the best for their children and if they feel that one school provides the right education and extraccuricular activities for their children then dang it that's where their children are going. It's the mentality that what's good for you is good for me, and you will not shut me out I will be a part of your world. Yes I think it's a badge of honor for some "minorities" to mingle with the normalized beings; go to their schools, live in their neighborhoods, shop where they shop, eat what they eat, do what they do. Look at society and look at our history, "minorities" have been taught to envy the "white" person, that the "white" person is someone they should strive to be like, but who they can never be. Hey, this is what we talked about in one of my classes! Cool. Anywho, I hope I answered a bit of your question? Most "minorities" especially "blacks" bring each other down not hold each other up, that's why the communities are so vile. They rather see each other do worse because then they won't feel so bad about doing bad, then they look to the outside and the government and others for salvation. They look at the normalized person as someone they should be and turn in on themselves. Ok I'm gonna stop talking, I need to put the rest of this in my book. Toodles!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-13-2013, 08:28 AM
 
4 posts, read 8,329 times
Reputation: 10
So Im asian and work in Lansing and will most likely be moving with my white wife. I'm originally from Northville, and I have heard that Howell is racist. However, I have heard that has changed. Unfortunately, when my wife told her friends (they went to um) about Howell, they told her to watch out for the KKK. This freaked her out and now she is second guessing moving there. Should I be looking at a different city?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-13-2013, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
28,931 posts, read 68,955,188 times
Reputation: 35362
There was once a KKK leader about 10 miles outside of Howell, because of this, it became urban legend that Howell was a racists place. The rumors are stupid. Aside form on that farm, Howell never was especially racist and the KKK guy dies about 30 years ago. There are racists in Northville however, you better get out of there right now. Of course there is no place for you to go to, because there are racists pretty much everywhere. Maybe if you move to the UP and live ten miles from any other people you can avoid racists, unless you have some racism in you yourselves (most people do). This has been discussed to death, but my suggestion is you encourage your wife to stop giving water cooler talk so much credibility. It is usually complete BS as it is in this case.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-13-2013, 09:33 AM
 
1,069 posts, read 920,477 times
Reputation: 731
I'm white and I'm even scared of Howell. I had a friend who lived there and her neighbor is creepy. They actually put him in jail for a couple years because he murdered my friends dog. He then got out of jail and continued to live next to my friends house. The neighbor would trespass all the time, and suddenly just appear on their property, just staring. They stopped calling the cops, because they'd never do anything serious and then they'd be right back next store (but pissed off). I've heard other crazy things about howell, sometimes racist things, sometimes just crazy stuff like what I mentioned. I know I'd never live there.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-13-2013, 09:47 AM
 
4 posts, read 8,329 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
There was once a KKK leader about 10 miles outside of Howell, because of this, it became urban legend that Howell was a racists place. The rumors are stupid. Aside form on that farm, Howell never was especially racist and the KKK guy dies about 30 years ago. There are racists in Northville however, you better get out of there right now. Of course there is no place for you to go to, because there are racists pretty much everywhere. Maybe if you move to the UP and live ten miles from any other people you can avoid racists, unless you have some racism in you yourselves (most people do). This has been discussed to death, but my suggestion is you encourage your wife to stop giving water cooler talk so much credibility. It is usually complete BS as it is in this case.

Having grown up in Northville and it being my hometown, I take offense to your comments! I was never particulary worried about Howell being a hotbed of racists. I just got a little worried with my wife's concerns, the things I used to hear in HS (though that was back in 96-2000), and searching the internet.

I actually live in the eastside right now, but the commute to Lansing is killing me. I also am more of a westside/suberbia type guy. Howell is pretty much the most convient place to live with the best options to rent.

With that being said, I would love to move back to Northville. Its streets are paved with gold, evian flowing from the fountains, and its year around sunny, 70 degree weather!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-13-2013, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
28,931 posts, read 68,955,188 times
Reputation: 35362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger1833 View Post
Having grown up in Northville and it being my hometown, I take offense to your comments! I was never particulary worried about Howell being a hotbed of racists. I just got a little worried with my wife's concerns, the things I used to hear in HS (though that was back in 96-2000), and searching the internet.

I actually live in the eastside right now, but the commute to Lansing is killing me. I also am more of a westside/suberbia type guy. Howell is pretty much the most convient place to live with the best options to rent.

With that being said, I would love to move back to Northville. Its streets are paved with gold, evian flowing from the fountains, and its year around sunny, 70 degree weather!
I also grew up in Northville (technically although i went to South Lyon schools). And yes, I love Northville too. In fact, I bid (but not quite enough) on a beautiful old mansion just outside of downtown northville a few years ago (roughly 2005). I would love to live there, it is on my top 5 cities.

Still, sorry, but there are racists in Northville. There are also racists in Ann Arbor, Plymouth, Birmingham, Detroit and every other town and city in the world.

The grand dragon or wizard of the KKK who was located near (not in) Howell died in 1992. He was Robert Miles and lived in Cohort Township (not Howell but few people let facts get in the way of a good story). He was a first class nut job from what I can gather, and he collected various other nut jobs at his farm from time to time. But his existence really says nothing about Howell. It was just a good source for water cooler gossip and still is.

We heard the same BS rumors about Howell as you did. "It is the headquarters of the whole KKK" "It is the most racists town in the usa" etc. As I punk kid we even went and threw rocks at the building in Howell that was said to be the KKKs headquarters (of course it was not since the KKK was in Cohort, not in Hwell and they were on a farm, not in a low rise commercial building - the poor owners of the building were probably puzzled as heck, "out of all the buildings in Howell, why do WE keep getting vandalized over and over?"). frankly I am surprised Northville did not get a bad reputation for having punk kids with funky hair who throw rocks at buildings for no reason at all.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 05-13-2013 at 01:25 PM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-13-2013, 06:22 PM
 
Location: On the brink of WWIII
21,093 posts, read 25,621,789 times
Reputation: 7812
Quote:
Originally Posted by westboundrambler View Post
I'm white and I'm even scared of Howell. I had a friend who lived there and her neighbor is creepy. They actually put him in jail for a couple years because he murdered my friends dog. He then got out of jail and continued to live next to my friends house. The neighbor would trespass all the time, and suddenly just appear on their property, just staring. They stopped calling the cops, because they'd never do anything serious and then they'd be right back next store (but pissed off). I've heard other crazy things about howell, sometimes racist things, sometimes just crazy stuff like what I mentioned. I know I'd never live there.
BOO! Having been in Livngston County for a year, the scariest thing I have seen in Howell is the mustard vendor at the Farmer's Market on Sundays.
The neighbor sounds like the one I left behind in Redford. Probably his step-son brother?
ALl I can say is driving on Grand River from Main Street in Brighton to Michigan in Howell has become so congested, I hope no one else moves out here. Then again, I can always go towards Ingham or Gratiot County.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-19-2013, 03:51 PM
Status: "And just like that, Covid was gone." (set 8 days ago)
 
8,155 posts, read 7,053,935 times
Reputation: 7383
So is Howell considered "racist" because the people would prefer having a white community, for a benign reason like people want to live with people just like them, therefore that is NOT racist, just a preference?

Or is it so racist that even white people want to flee?

some people just do not like other cultures and unique things that pertain to those cultures, i.e. style of dress, music, culture, etc. but thats another subject so i wont elaborate in order to go off topic. that is not racist to not enjoy other cultures enjoyments, again its a preference.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-19-2013, 04:33 PM
 
Location: On the brink of WWIII
21,093 posts, read 25,621,789 times
Reputation: 7812
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
So is Howell considered "racist" because the people would prefer having a white community, for a benign reason like people want to live with people just like them, therefore that is NOT racist, just a preference?

Or is it so racist that even white people want to flee?

some people just do not like other cultures and unique things that pertain to those cultures, i.e. style of dress, music, culture, etc. but thats another subject so i wont elaborate in order to go off topic. that is not racist to not enjoy other cultures enjoyments, again its a preference.
TRue, but when it is THOUSANDS of people then I think the RACIST word is appropriate.

When the people take oppressive action to keep those who are different out...that is a problem.

Though I can say I have yet to see it here in the Brighton / Howell area.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top