U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 03:28 PM

154 posts, read 268,363 times
Question Best Hospital for Childbirth in Michigan

I would like to hear from women who have given birth in a Michigan hospital. I had my first child at St. Joe's in Superior Township a few years back and while I got an amazing end-result (my beautiful boy!) I was unhappy with "hospital policy" in regards to my birth choices. I am now considering other options for my next birth but I have not completely ruled out trying a hospital birth again. I would like to hear from other families who have had different birth experiences in Michigan and specifically if there are any hospitals near the Ann Arbor/Lansing/Jackson area that you would recommend. I ideally, would like to have a natural birth (VBAC) this time around and I am wondering if there are any hospitals who truly do support natural birth. Many hospitals say they are all for natural birth but then have a c-section rate of 30%-50%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 06:51 PM

727 posts, read 953,232 times
interesting thread! i did not have my daughter in michigan (missouri), but my experience in the hospital was definitely not one that supported natural birth. it was more like an assembly line, all ended well but i can't help but thinking the whole experience could have been much different?

Old 10-07-2009, 07:38 PM

893 posts, read 1,160,108 times
I don't think you'll find many hospitals that truly support natural birth. After all, the more procedures, drugs, equipment, etc they can use on you, the higher your bill will be and the more they will make.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:55 PM

760 posts, read 1,472,779 times
Interesting thread. We had our first at United Memorial at Greenville and were not happy with the hospital. Kinda seemed mechanical and all about "procedures" even tho it was a natural birth.

Our last two were born at Marquette General here in Marquette (da U.P.) and we were absolutely thrilled both times. We have nothing but praises for the hospital, the staff, our OB/GYN, etc. etc.
Both of them were natural births and the last one was touch and go for awhile, but they completely respected the desire for vaginal birth and did everything in their power to make it possible (thank goodness the baby finally turned when he did!). That was two months ago

We're moving downstate and plan on one more (possibly at a Lansing area hospital) so we'll be following this thread with interest.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:05 PM

360 posts, read 638,994 times
Can't help you with this one. I delivered at Beaumont and wanted ANY drug available to get me through that one! My beautiful 6'1" 17 year old kid that I see very little of these days since I bought him a car. Grunts every once in a while but that's about it.

I heard the Henry Ford in West Bloomfield is like a 5 star resort. If I was gonna do it again (NOT) I'd check that one out.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:36 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,819,759 times
I'm a little biased because of how many people I know who work there. But DMC in commerce has a wonderful birthing center.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:54 AM

Default more specific please

Thanks for the responses. I am hoping for people who respond to this post to be a bit more specific with their opinions about hospitals in their area. My issue with choosing a hospital is that when I call around of course they all say they are fantastic and newly renovated with the latest equipment and a wonderful staff and blah blah blah yet what are the real statistics as far as what is their c-section rate, if they allow water births how many have they actually performed? If they allow VBAC's how many have they actually performed? Is it hospital policy to constant fetal monitoring despite what the patient may want? How respected did you feel with your birth experience at a particular hospital? I am looking for details because as I stated before, in my experience your ob/gyn will tell you they are all for attempting/supporting a certain procedure or lack their of but as soon as you step through the hospital doors all bets are off and hospital policy and insurance liability takes top billing. Do you think it is possible to have a natural birth experience specifically after having a previous csection in a Michigan hospital and if so where would you recommend? And for those of you who will say "have a homebirth then" I say I would love to but my insurance won't cover it.
On another note for those of you are interested in vbac support and stats please check out the Michigan ICAN website.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:12 PM

727 posts, read 953,232 times
The Greenhouse Birth Center ~ Where families are born, gently. (http://www.greenhousebirthcenter.com/index.htm - broken link)

i saw this place when i was pregnant (unfortunately i wasn't in michigan), but i'm thinking that its to the point where if you DO want a natural birth, you'll have to go to places like this or a homebirth. i cannot see any hospital EVER supporting natural births. in fact i have never heard of one happening there, of anyone i know. hospitals are too tied in with health insurance and the fear of getting sued. those factors will never allow them to 'think differently'.
even if you find a hospital that allows it, they're only going to allow it if everything is 'perfect'. and that never happens.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:25 AM

103 posts, read 213,426 times
I gave birth at Borgess Hospital in Kalamazoo several years ago. There are two hospitals in Kazoo (at least, there were when I lived there). Bronson (Methodist) and Borgess (Catholic). I refer to Borgess as "Gothic Hospital" because of the style of the old building.

I am neither Methodist nor Catholic, so I didn't choose based upon religion. I had toured Borgess with a friend many years earlier during a college stint and we actually toured the birthing center there. Everyone was friendly at that time. Also around that time I had a boyfriend who had to go the emergency room in the middle of the night. Bronson was closest. I hated it. They left him for hours, didn't tell me anything (until one nurse finally said "oh - yeah, you can go back and sit with him") didn't tell him anything... Hated it.

So, when it came time for birthing choices, I chose Borgess, even though it was several miles further than Bronson. I can't compare it to other birthing centers since I've only had one child, but if I ever had any other kids, I'd go back.

The staff was warm, friendly, understanding, helpful. I was being induced (gestational diabetes) and so I was already set (along with some other couples there) with a room and all that stuff. I chose natural childbirth, and did not have the epidural. (Hindsight and all, I should have gotten it!) I did accept some pain meds after a while (I had a rough birth).

Regardless, everyone was wonderful. My nurse was THE BEST nurse ever. Let's face it, childbirth isn't that lovely picturesque thing they show on TV. Well, it wasn't for me anyway. There are a ton of medical people mulling about, it's painful, you're "open" to about a million strangers (especially when you've got student doctors that need to learn - they do ask if you want them there or not).

If you're not comfortable with your body, childbirth can be a humbling experience. I had to have surgery immediately following due to some complications. After that I was completely shagged out and feeling miserable. My nurse cared for me, comforted me, bathed me - and let me tell you, it's quiet a humblinig (or humiliating) experience to have someone else bathe you. But she was great, and kind and I think this is exactly how a birthing experience should be.

So - cheers to Borgess and the facilities. Great staff, great rooms, respected my options while still keeping me healthy and safe.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:02 PM

Default hospitals in Jackson area

what about Jackson area? What are your experiences with Jackson hospitals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan