U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 11:49 AM

39 posts, read 110,050 times
Default Weekend Getaway

I am wanting to take a weekend vacation to Michigan. Can anyone suggest some fun things to do? I am interested in visiting some wineries and quaint little towns with antiques, etc. Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 08:01 PM

7,030 posts, read 2,110,212 times
IndyCarrie,
I am guessing from your name that you are from Indiana. Well, southwest Michigan has a lot of antiques, wineries, and is close to your home state. Look into Berrien County.

I know that Tabor Hill winery is popular with locals down there, also Paw Paw has wineries (but not in Berrien County). There are tons of antique stores all up and down Red Arrow Highway, especially from New Buffalo to Saint Joseph...

do a google search for Harbor Country

Old 05-07-2007, 08:07 PM

1,867 posts, read 3,505,824 times
Traverse City has a couple of good packages going right now. A girlfriends getaway and a family fun getaway http://visittraversecity.com/ If you call 1-800-TRAVERS, you can be sent an area guide and an antiques brochure too if you like!

Old 05-08-2007, 09:16 AM

39 posts, read 110,050 times
Thanks guys. I live in Indianapolis, but I am originally from Logansport (N Central Indiana). I never go up north, mostly down to KY and southern Indiana, so I thought this might be a fun mini vacation for something different.

That is exactly what I am looking for and my girlfriend will be in from Hawaii for the week in June while the wine festival is going on so that will be perfect. Anything specifically that I should be sure and visit in Harbor County?

Old 05-08-2007, 06:50 PM

136 posts, read 412,199 times
Default Michigan get away

If you want to travel to the thumb, Port Austin is a neat place to visit. One of my most memorable getaways ever was to go there one fine fall weekend. There are quaint shops, neat waterfronts, and fine old hotels. And it wasn't expensive.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:30 PM

7,030 posts, read 2,110,212 times
I like Warren Dunes State Park off of Red Arrow near Sawyer....Weko Beach in Bridman, off of Lake Street is just as good...

A lot of people like Redamaks in New Buffalo for greasy burgers.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:05 PM

44 posts, read 72,343 times
Default get a way

Holland and Kalamazoo on the states west side are very pretty cities. Kalamazoo has a winery too. Holland is quaint with farms and city life mixed in. My cousin lives there and I visit often.

Also, Traverse City-a bit up north, is a lovely place to visit.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:52 PM

800 posts, read 2,993,254 times
If you love wine, then, you have to go to the Old Mission peninsula up near Traverse City. Also, there's the Traverse Bay wineries. Old Mission ones are very quaint and the land is soooo pretty, you'd think you landed some place in Europe It's gorgeous!!!!!!!!!! Bring room in your suitcase to take back some wine!

If you want to stay south, you can go to the wineries in Grass Lake and Ann Arbor area...I think most of them are tasting rooms, but you could still enjoy them

Enjoy your trip!

Old 08-12-2007, 04:13 PM

4 posts, read 11,904 times
There are lots of wineries from Bridgeman to Traverse City.
Antiques all along Red Arrow Highway from New Buffalo to St. Joseph.
Walking the beaches are great! Silver Beach is rated in the top 10 in the nation. St. Joe is a very clean town also.
Nice little shops in St. Joe and South Haven!
Enjoy your weekend!

Old 08-12-2007, 04:15 PM

4 posts, read 11,904 times
Ciccone vineyard is by Traverse City.
Madonna bought this vineyard for her father. It's awesome! Great view of the bay area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan