Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 02:09 AM

403 posts, read 534,716 times

Advertisements

it's threads like this that makes me a little less scared to move to michigan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 04:52 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,896,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
You guys have me pining for snow now. I love a really heavy lake effect snow at night, with no wind and no need to drive anywhere. The snow just makes it so amazingly quiet and beautiful.
Yeah...a lake effect snow storm is different from the snow those of us get living in the middle of the mitten. I love the snow, and I remember the first time I ever experienced a lake effect snow storm. I was amazed how big and heavy the flakes were, and how fast it piled up. We all stopped our snowmobiles in the woods, and just watched and listened. It was so quiet, all you could hear was the snow hitting the trees. I cant wait to move to the lake effect area!!

Old 11-09-2009, 05:18 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,303,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love.doll View Post
it's threads like this that makes me a little less scared to move to michigan
Awww...Michigan isn't scary! You have heard a lot of exaggerations and hype, maybe? In reality, Michigan is gorgeous blue lakes, rolling green hills with big red barns, quaint small towns with Victorian homes lining the main streets, tons of stuff to do every weekend...really, you could do a lot worse. Michigan is awesome, and there are plenty of people here who still have great jobs and invest in the economy, in spite of the recent recession and hit to the domestic automotive industry, so come and see for yourself, don't just believe what you hear on TV. Oh, and welcome!!!

Old 11-09-2009, 05:59 AM

859 posts, read 2,147,886 times
1: Walking at night with the Snow coming down with a flashlight..... so peacefull
2: After the snow to go out shovel snow only to get all 3 kids involved in a snowball fight
3: Hunting & ice fishing
4: Corn heat after you been outside shoveling ........again lol
5: Christmas Lights
6: hot chocolate after Shoveling .....yet again...
7: use to go snowmobiling ..miss that for sure ...

lots of things I like about Winter & snow......... now freezing Rain or just falt out FREEZING weather...blehhhhhh dont like that. Makes me ache

Old 11-09-2009, 06:21 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,844,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
I like sittin' out by the pool with shorts and sandals, pickin' up palm tree fronds and drinkin' beer on a Saturday afternoon.....then call up friends and family in MI to complain about my sunburn.....

Haha! The sun gives me a nice burn if I just look at it the wrong way.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:20 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
I like sittin' out by the pool with shorts and sandals, pickin' up palm tree fronds and drinkin' beer on a Saturday afternoon.....then call up friends and family in MI to complain about my sunburn.....

LOL -- actually I love that too - I love seeing pictures of snow and post-blizzard scenes. Those are beautiful, they make me feel all peaceful but then I like to go outdoors into blinding sun and 60 degree weather or see my kids playing out-doors in t-shirts knowing others are trying to get through snowdrifts 4 feet deep.

There is something very nice about pictures of snow. You can look at them and enjoy all the beauty and serenity. There were times I liked snow and the nice thing about mountains, you can drive to experience snow that's 2 hours ways but not have to deal with it on a day to day basis, or the heating bills. I do that once or twice a year, drive up to the mountains and hike around a few hours in the snow filled forests -- it really is beautiful.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:04 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,440,805 times
There is no better place to experience Christmas and the New Year than Michigan......especially northern Michigan! The sight of Christmas lights, spruce trees, and snow was custom made for us! More than anything else, this is what I love about winter in Michigan.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:34 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,077,767 times
In Michigan, every once in a while the full moon would come out in all of its glory.

I would put on my cross country skis and spend hours outside.

I also spent many weekends ice fishing, which was incredibly fun.

I always loved the smell of someone's wood stove/fireplace as I walked by their home.

The first big snowstorm is always the best.

It gets old by March though.

Ice storms are pretty, but not if you lose power for days.....

Soon, the temp here will peak in the mid 60's during the day and we'll see folks with winter coats and mittens walking around here.

It always makes me smile.....

Old 11-13-2009, 07:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,393 times
The best part is watching your kids (or the neighborhood kids) outside playing in the snow. No matter how cold it is outside, they ALWAYS want to play. And to sit inside a nice warm house, looking at the beautiful snow covered ground, and seeing the kids laughing and playing...I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't live where it snows!

Old 11-18-2009, 06:04 PM

211 posts, read 548,329 times
Well, I'll try to be positive:

*The first snowfall
*I used to LOVE snow days & cancelled school (when I was in school...long ago!)
*Sitting by the fire with hot cocoa
*Big pots of soup & homemade bread
*Staying in and watching movies or playing games with my kids
* I get to wear scarves, hats, sweaters, tights and knee high boots! (Luv my fashion)
*Driving around to see Christmas lights
*Downtown Petoskey Chistmas Open House
*When it all melts (that's about June)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan