Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 09:21 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,983,712 times

Advertisements

Well I had lived in Harper Woods from February till September till my company relocated me to Gaylord. I was able to rent out my house in Harper Woods for the time being till I can get the hell out of Gaylord.

In the crime department, Gaylord so far takes the lead. Upon moving up here, my DM told me the story of how his neighbors in Michaweye (Nice middle class subdivision) were broken into, tied up, and robbed. That was guaranteed to happen to me in Harper Woods but yet to see it happen to me or my neighbors. He also told me about a teenager who stole a car and lead police on a high speed chase through the streets of Gaylord. I was talking to a customer who owns a resturaunt and the night crew was stealing from the company and they set up a sting operation. In the paper some guy in Grayling went into the woods with a shotgun and fired at some kids who were having a party. In Harper Woods I had heard no instances of crime in any form, but according to this forum, is a certainty since all cities bordering Detroit except Grosse Pointe are guaranteed crime. My conclusion is the Smart Bus now has a stop in Gaylord.

The friendly northern Michigan community is priceless. The first thing my downstairs neighbor said to me was his daughter goes to sleep at 7 and if I wake her there will be trouble. Ironically, at about 11 pm that very night, I heard some Young Jeezy blasting from his apartment. Guy was about 30 years old, long hair and bandana, missing some teeth, possibly from meth. This first thing from my black neighbor in Harper Woods was hello.

Now in terms of sense of community, Gaylord wins this one. Harper Woods is just a neighborhood of Detroit. It doesn't strike me as an actual city. Gaylord at least tries with the Bavarian crap, even though it has gotten pretty half assed. All the stores downtown are closing but at least they are trying.

The number of sex offenders in Gaylord is alarming. More total offenders in a city much smaller than Harper Woods?

I just don't understand the infatuation with northern Michigan. The people aren't friendlier. I had to drive all the way to Traverse City for a Sams Club (A good hour plus) There are as many abandoned buildings in Gaylord as there are on the Detroit side of Kelly. The stores aren't as trashed inside as Eastland Mall. In two months in Harper Woods I got to know more people than I have after 2 months in Gaylord. I realize I'll lose any popularity contest on here by saying anything negative about northern Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 08:37 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,863,221 times
I would say that just because you had this trouble in Gaylord, it does not mean that all "northern" Michigan has this problem.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:36 AM

809 posts, read 1,941,691 times
What were you expecting? Human problems exist because humans live in cities and towns. But you knew that.

Crime is part of the human condition. In small communities you will hear more of what happens than you will when living in the cities.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:52 AM

12,082 posts, read 38,715,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
I would say that just because you had this trouble in Gaylord, it does not mean that all "northern" Michigan has this problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perferator View Post
What were you expecting? Human problems exist because humans live in cities and towns. But you knew that.

Crime is part of the human condition. In small communities you will hear more of what happens than you will when living in the cities.
These two are exactly right.

Plus Michaywe really isn't a bastion of upper middle or even middle income homes. It has ALWAYS had it's problems and is one of the lesser "value" subdivisions that are around Gaylord. I wired many, many of the homes out there as it was being developed. It is NOT one of the places I would pick if I were trying to give a honest overview of the Gaylord area... which is why I would suspect you did choose to use it as an example.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
These two are exactly right.

Plus Michaywe really isn't a bastion of upper middle or even middle income homes. It has ALWAYS had it's problems and is one of the lesser "value" subdivisions that are around Gaylord. I wired many, many of the homes out there as it was being developed. It is NOT one of the places I would pick if I were trying to give a honest overview of the Gaylord area... which is why I would suspect you did choose to use it as an example.

I used it as an example because that is where my DM lives and the story he told me. Why? Is there more people in Gaylord being tied up and robbed in their homes?

When I say northern Michigan, I have experience with the Houghton Lake-Roscommon-Grayling corridor. Gaylord is the least horrible of the four. The Meijers here is terrific.

The point I am trying to get at, is that constantly on this forum people say how bad the inner ring suburbs are, and another poster on here guaranteed my house would be robbed because I lived in Harper Woods. I heard countless times how friendly northern Michigan people are and how unsafe it was to walk in Harper Woods. I guess I find it ironic that the response to the Gaylord crime is "part of human condition" vs. if it were to happen in Harper Woods its going downhill, unsafe, too close Detroit, need to get the hell out.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:46 PM

Also, if Michawaye is the "lesser" value subdivision, what the hell is the actual town of Gaylord? Ghetto?

Old 11-23-2009, 01:34 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,715,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
Also, if Michawaye is the "lesser" value subdivision, what the hell is the actual town of Gaylord? Ghetto?
Didn't say Gaylord was Ghetto, what I said is that Michaywe isn't all that great.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Didn't say Gaylord was Ghetto, what I said is that Michaywe isn't all that great.

You said Michaweye was "lesser" value, whatever that means. The city of Gaylord clearly is crappier than Michaweye. I guess I need to know what lesser value means. In terms of curb appeal on the city side streets, Harper Woods wins hands down. Not as much garbage in peoples yards. Currently looking out my window and see a washer, 5 tires, and a pickup box topper.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:25 PM

809 posts, read 1,941,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
The Meijers here is terrific.
Thanx for the chuckle

Old 11-23-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perferator View Post
Thanx for the chuckle

It actually is a very nice Meijers. Supposedly, it's the only one with its layout. It's also the smallest Meijers. It also lacks the Bavarian design. I guess they gave up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan