Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 06:57 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,844,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
I moved into a cheaper apt. to save $$ in October, and I no longer have a garage, as I did with my condo. My poor truck is buried now, and I am NOT liking having to dust and prep it every time I go out already. We have well over a foot on the ground in Petoskey and are stuck under a heavy snowband again at this writing. The plows haven't come through my complex yet, and I don't think I can get out of here until they do. It's beautiful to look at during the holidays at least.....
Wow, look at the lake effect snow bands over the Traverse area this morning!

i Control Radar
(You have to take this map and drag it down and zoom it out so you can see the TC area, then click the "loop" button) Fun!

I don't care what anyone says. 1" of snow per hour pretty much shuts everything down after a while in urban areas. Just too many people to move and no place to move them if the plows can't keep up.

We're sunny now, and just light snow forecast for tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 07:56 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,440,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Wow, look at the lake effect snow bands over the Traverse area this morning!

We're sunny now, and just light snow forecast for tonight.
Yeah, it's finally let up here, too, although we won't see any sun today. I'm gonna make a try for the folks place over on Mullet Lake in just a bit. The plows have been busy all morning.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:50 PM

809 posts, read 1,949,786 times
Quote:
Yeah, it's finally let up here, too, although we won't see any sun today. I'm gonna make a try for the folks place over on Mullet Lake in just a bit. The plows have been busy all morning.
I heard that Ptown got a dumpin' last night. Some of our congregation from Petoskey were late for church this morning

They said they had a foot of snow over on intertown road last night.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:19 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,307,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindseyup67 View Post
LMAO! How would u guys like to take on a U.P. winter????? I joked with people at work that they probably shut the whole area down.....and it sounds like they did just that! Us Yoopers get such a kick out of how everybody is seemingly unpreapred for old man winter and the road commission, etc. don't know how to deal with it. I remember a couple years back Detroit got nailed, and people in neighborhoods basically sat on their asses and whined that they could not get out, etc.......and it's like........PICK UP A SHOVEL AND GET TO WORK MOVIN THAT SNOW!! Ahhh.....I hafta say.....we are hearty souls up here!!!!!!!!!!
The big difference with winter driving in the UP and down where I live is population density. If you go down in a ditch or have a spin-out it's usually a one car accident where here's it could easily turn into a pile-up.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:37 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,440,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perferator View Post
I heard that Ptown got a dumpin' last night. Some of our congregation from Petoskey were late for church this morning

They said they had a foot of snow over on intertown road last night.
That's me, I live right off of Intertown. My friends that live inland toward Epsilon were snowed in and couldn't even go to church. I'm out in southern Cheboygan County now, and they have a bit less.

Another storm on the way for tomorrow night apparently. Life in northen Mich!

Old 12-07-2009, 07:02 AM

809 posts, read 1,949,786 times
Quote:
That's me, I live right off of Intertown. My friends that live inland toward Epsilon were snowed in and couldn't even go to church. I'm out in southern Cheboygan County now, and they have a bit less.

Another storm on the way for tomorrow night apparently. Life in northen Mich!
The report from 7&4 looks pretty serious right now. Here it comes again. (you must know Ken Golding, a good friend of mine)

Old 12-07-2009, 08:16 PM

271 posts, read 664,608 times
I took out the snowplow Sunday for the first time this season, had about 8". I like snow as long as I can keep up with it. I'd rather work outside in snow than in rain.I run all snow tires on the wagon and can usually go anywhere I need to go, including downstate and back in the wee hours of the night some weekends. Uses a lot less gas than a 4x4. One thing I like about a wagon in winter is the weight balance is better, they're a little heavier in back and don't fishtail as easily. I'm a GM guy but my friend noticed the same thing with a Taurus wagon compared to the equivalent sedan.Only exception was when they decided to stop plowing county roads on weekends. A foot of thick packed snow for 4 miles was enough to keep me from getting to work, as well as immobilize most of the area. Need an ambulance? Forget it. The decision to take exception to Pleasantview road and plow it said it all, all they cared about was that the tourists could get to the ski resorts, screw the locals that run everything and pay the taxes. What good is tourism if people can't get to work to serve them? Any more of that foolishness and northern Michigan will be a place where you actually do need a 4x4 truck to go about your daily business.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:16 AM

939 posts, read 2,680,271 times
I am so excited about the impending 15"+ of snow that I can hardly contain myself

Old 12-08-2009, 06:46 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,303,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldjensens View Post
my car gets stuck if i drive over a spilled icy in the summertime. i used ot think that 4wd was not all that great, then i had one for a season. Now i do not want to go another season without one. The difference is astounding.
Thanks for the hearty laugh this morning!!! LOL!!!

BTW, we were up in St. Ignace once --during the summer-- and we started discussing snowfall amounts with the guy behind the hotel desk. I made the comment that the schools up there must have a lot of snow days because of the high volume of snow that they get. He just gave me the funniest look and said, "Uh, M'am...we don't HAVE snow days up here. We have three feet on the ground sometimes for months at a time. We just live with it." I liked that. Down here in Monroe Co., three ft. would be considered a massive snow emergency and schools would be cancelled for days! Gotta love our big, beautiful state and its varying extremes!

Old 12-08-2009, 07:05 AM

217 posts, read 591,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Thanks for the hearty laugh this morning!!! LOL!!!

BTW, we were up in St. Ignace once --during the summer-- and we started discussing snowfall amounts with the guy behind the hotel desk. I made the comment that the schools up there must have a lot of snow days because of the high volume of snow that they get. He just gave me the funniest look and said, "Uh, M'am...we don't HAVE snow days up here. We have three feet on the ground sometimes for months at a time. We just live with it." I liked that. Down here in Monroe Co., three ft. would be considered a massive snow emergency and schools would be cancelled for days! Gotta love our big, beautiful state and its varying extremes!
That's why us Yoopers LOAO up here!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan