Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 09:09 PM

9,460 posts, read 10,778,551 times

Advertisements

Fenton was a growing town before this economic panic occured. There is lots of shopping there, places to eat. Off the top of my head I think they have a walmart, target, home depot, at least 3 major grocerie stores and several car dealers. There are lots of nice lakes in that area. Linden is alot smaller and quiet. It has a nice old downtown and a millpond. The shopping is all in Fenton about 10 min away. If you look up toward Flushing you will find the town itself is very nice, but Flint is only a short distance away. You will find some of that Flint spillover I talked about in earlier posts. In my opinion Flushing is too close to flint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 09:37 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,719,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Im sorry to hear your being sent to such a sorry place. My advice would be to commute in from outside Genesee county. There are lots of small country towns in the surrounding counties of Saginaw, Shiawassee, or east to Lapeer or even down in Livingston county. Even the nicer towns in Genesee county are tainted by the presence of Flint, and its problems that inevidably end up in the surrounding areas and their schools. Its worth the gas money to be away from that depressing area.
Saginaw? Really? Saginaw is worse than Flint!

Your negativity is vexatious.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:19 AM

9,460 posts, read 10,778,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Saginaw? Really? Saginaw is worse than Flint!

Your negativity is vexatious.

Saginaw county is huge and it is not dominated by Saginaw city in quite the same way that Flint dominates Genessee. Cheasaning and Birch Run are quite free of the saginaw influence. Oh and what you see as my negativity about the Flint area, I see as a realistic view of it. Go live in your pollyanna world, I choose reality.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:06 AM

153 posts, read 283,016 times
We Have lived in Lnden the last 8 years, after 30+ years in the metro Detroit area. The best decision the wife and I made was the move to Linden. It is a very small community 20 minutes from Flint and for the most part crime free(every town has some minor problems). We had 1 kid graduate from Linden High School and a 2nd one next summer, and I have no complaints about their education. It is one of those areas where everyone will give you a friendly wave as you drive or walk down the road. I suggest looking in the Argntine area. If you have the time search the website for the Tri-County times and read about the Linden and Fenton areas. www.tctimes.com

Old 12-21-2009, 06:54 PM

336 posts, read 907,406 times
Flushing schools have been adversely affected by the opening of subsidized housing in the district.

Frankly, I love downtown Flint. It's slowly making a come back thanks to the University of Michigan. Blackstone's is AWESOME!!!

Old 01-09-2010, 12:58 PM

18 posts, read 32,611 times
We moved from the Ypsilanti area to Grand Blanc Mi. We chose Grand Blanc because of the top notch schools. There are good parts of Flint and bad parts. Near Redwood Lodge it's very nice and the downtown is growing because students are relocating to the riverfront. I predict in the next few years that the influx of college students will revitalize the city. Fenton, Linden and Grand Blanc are all great places to live in genessee county. Lake Fenton offers a beautiful lake for all sports boating and excellent schools. Grand Blanc has the BEST schools in Genessee county and we chose this area over Bloomfield because of that. The people here are very friendly and most people in our subdivision are doctors because of the close commute to Genesys hospital. There is a lot of parent involvement and I believe this is one of the reasons the schools are so wonderful. The teachers are great and your commute to flint will be quite easy. Oakland county has some of the most affluent towns but your commute will be a real pain. I would say that Grand Blanc is the most prestigious town in Gen county. Good luck in your search. We hope to welcome you to our town w/ lots of parks, restaurants, shopping, and an imax theater. You will get a lot of home for your money especially in this economy. Good luck!

Old 01-10-2010, 09:48 PM

3 posts, read 7,818 times
stay away from flushing

Old 02-17-2010, 11:53 AM

3 posts, read 9,196 times
Why should I stay away from Flushing babe72?

Old 02-18-2010, 02:29 PM

850 posts, read 1,895,961 times
i work in flushing, i see many clients there and talk to them about the schools because i may send my daughter there someday (still too young for school). its an adorable town, with a good mix of people. most of the people are friendly and unpretentious, unlike grand blanc, which is extremely pretentious. there is one (as far as i know) low income housing apartment complex on the border of flushing/flint. i have heard there have been 'incidents' from the kids in that area. so yes, there is some flint overspill or whatever you would want to call it. but i still think at this point its a small percentage. i don't see flushing heading in the flint direction without a fight from their community. and that is a very good community. if you are a regular person looking for more of a simple life, flushing. if you want to isolate yourself with people who are exactly like yourself, living in a mini mansion and looking plastic 24/7, choose grand blanc.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:39 PM

970 posts, read 2,964,925 times
Well, I'm going to have to recommend Burton, Grand Blanc, or Swartz Creek. Those are upper middle class locales with great schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan