Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 02:30 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,641,698 times

Advertisements

If a person was to jump in the car and take a trip to the UP right now are there good areas unblocked by snow where Lake Superior is very accessable? Down here people are still walking along the shore of Lake Michigan, but I don't want to assume it's the same farther north. You folks in the UP make it so very tempting to just take off and experience the area first hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 02:46 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
If a person was to jump in the car and take a trip to the UP right now are there good areas unblocked by snow where Lake Superior is very accessable? Down here people are still walking along the shore of Lake Michigan, but I don't want to assume it's the same farther north. You folks in the UP make it so very tempting to just take off and experience the area first hand.
I would go in a second if I had the time. I have never seen lake Superior in the winter, and that is one of my "must sees"

Old 01-06-2010, 03:03 PM

I took a fascination to watching waves here on Lake Michigan over the summer and fall months. I'm still going down to study them now that it's winter, but it's Superior that I'm so anxious to get to. I hardly know how to explain it.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:27 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
I took a fascination to watching waves here on Lake Michigan over the summer and fall months. I'm still going down to study them now that it's winter, but it's Superior that I'm so anxious to get to. I hardly know how to explain it.
I remember going to Whitefish point a few years ago. We walked around the buildings for a while, then up the stairs to go to lake Superior. I was so awestruck , I cant even explain it. It was one of my greatest memories ever, and from then on I have been infatuated! Last year we went camping right across the road, and I could not wait to go see her. This is the pic. I took as I came upon the stairs down to the beach.
Of course it looks much different on the beach.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:42 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Ok , Yes , you can get down to the beach in lots of spots.... The lake is not frozen over yet. Ships are still comming in to Marquette harbor. Won't be long however until the ice forms along the shore , then builds up big time in layers ( due to wave action ), and you will not see much. You have until Feb. 1st , most years. Even then , some spots are ice free, but out in the open , you may have a hard time getting thru the drifts ...just to get to the Lake....As we speek , I am looking about 4 miles away at the south shore beach , and can see the surf comming in. ( Harvey east area off M28 ) We have 80" so far . had 10" yesterday , mostly all plowed , roads are slick in spots , with snow pack in others. Some drifting. Temps are around freezing. This morning it was colder in Atlanta , than Marquette.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:56 PM

That's a beautiful picture of the steps leading to the lake. Thank you for posting it. No wonder folks are spellbound in the UP.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:30 AM

26 posts, read 80,843 times
I know this goes back a few posts so forgive me. First of all Darstar, The Soo has more going for it than it's proximity to Canada. It always surprises me when fellow UPers have the mentality that Sault Ste Marie has nothing to offer.

The great thing about The Soo is its proximity to 3 Great Lakes. We are right on the St Marys River at the exit of Lake Superior. 15 miles downstream is Lake Huron, and a quick drive south puts you on Lake Michigan. Yes there are many beautiful Cedar swamps that are amazing for wildlife watching, but there are also several inland lakes within a 30 minute drive of town. Also, the St Marys River has many back channels and bays that are just like being on an inland lake.

Yes, Canada is right across the river, which is great for additional exploring! The Laurentian Mountains are just across the river and are the oldest mountain range in North America (the ricks are 2.5 billion years old!). You also have the advantages of having access to a city of 80,000+ without the disadvantages of the crime, traffic, etc.

Also, the actual town doesn't get nearly as much snow as most of the UP due to the surrounding topography. If you go 10 miles west or south there is often twice as much snow as in town. This is great because you can drive a short distance to ski, snowshoe, snowmobile, etc, but you don't have to shovel nearly as much!

We also have an excellent school system. The elementary/high school is great, and Lake Superior State University is right in town. They have the only Atlantic Salmon fish hatchery in the United States that is not on one of the coasts, so every Atlantic caught above Niagara Falls in the Great Lakes was raised by LSSU. The fishing is phoenominal too, from Atlantic, Coho, and King Salmon, to walleye, norther pike, bass, whitefish, and perch!

Okay, I guess I'll get off my soapbox...

Old 01-08-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartwd View Post
I know this goes back a few posts so forgive me. First of all Darstar, The Soo has more going for it than it's proximity to Canada. It always surprises me when fellow UPers have the mentality that Sault Ste Marie has nothing to offer.

The great thing about The Soo is its proximity to 3 Great Lakes. We are right on the St Marys River at the exit of Lake Superior. 15 miles downstream is Lake Huron, and a quick drive south puts you on Lake Michigan. Yes there are many beautiful Cedar swamps that are amazing for wildlife watching, but there are also several inland lakes within a 30 minute drive of town. Also, the St Marys River has many back channels and bays that are just like being on an inland lake.

Yes, Canada is right across the river, which is great for additional exploring! The Laurentian Mountains are just across the river and are the oldest mountain range in North America (the ricks are 2.5 billion years old!). You also have the advantages of having access to a city of 80,000+ without the disadvantages of the crime, traffic, etc.

Also, the actual town doesn't get nearly as much snow as most of the UP due to the surrounding topography. If you go 10 miles west or south there is often twice as much snow as in town. This is great because you can drive a short distance to ski, snowshoe, snowmobile, etc, but you don't have to shovel nearly as much!

We also have an excellent school system. The elementary/high school is great, and Lake Superior State University is right in town. They have the only Atlantic Salmon fish hatchery in the United States that is not on one of the coasts, so every Atlantic caught above Niagara Falls in the Great Lakes was raised by LSSU. The fishing is phenomenal too, from Atlantic, Coho, and King Salmon, to walleye, norther pike, bass, whitefish, and perch!

Okay, I guess I'll get off my soapbox...
Sorry if i gave the impression of the Soo as a bad place...no , it is not ! And , yes , as I said , being the gateway to the larger populated sister city , and the Mountains to the north ..are a big, big plus.

I considered the area when I decided to move to the UP.....I did get a lot of negative feedback from others , some who lived there..... What always puzzled me was the St Marys river , the islands , and all ,....and the falling real estate prices ? Seemed to me that being so close to the Bridge , and downstate , prices would be higher. It scared me off, right a way.

I have been across the boarder many times , lake Superior National Park , Pancake bay , on and on , are great vacation destinations. The Bush plane museum was wonderful , so was some of the shopping , etc....but , it all was in Canada...not all bad , but maybe not all good ether ?

Every area in The UP has its good and bad ...even Marquette , but , I found , with a lot of searching , that Marquette had the best balance, most culture , most like a little/big city with the best medical care for someone like me who was retiring , and looking for the perfect place to build my retirement cottage......Not everyone loves elevation , for me , thats everything,views, and privecy...I have found it here...in Marquette.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:06 AM

4 posts, read 8,489 times
Although I don't live there anymore, I had lived in Marquette for 10 years in the past. I remember one interracial couple (WM/BF) moving into our neighborhood for a few years along with their two kids. The parents seemed to do ok, but their kids were called racial slurs sometimes at school.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:35 AM

If it means anything these days....Marquette County is the most Liberal in the UP....... I would think most people , with our diversity , could fit in here, regardless if religion, color, race, or creed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan