U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 08:01 AM

3,903 posts, read 4,990,333 times

Advertisements

We went to Flint last night and we didnt get shot...stabbed....or robbed. Actually, I worked in Flint for many years...some as a money collector for a rental company in the worst part of town. I only had a few times where I felt unsafe, but most times I was fine. Flint may not be the greatest city, but I can tell you for a fact...it has a whole lot of really nice people...white and black. I can honestly say I really like Flint, and despite its tough times, for the most part...the people are great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 04:30 PM

362 posts, read 360,810 times
Have you been to Vasser lately?
Empty buildings right down town and lots of empty homes inside town and also out in the country around there.

Have you been to Caro lately?
Empty buildings right down town and lots of empty homes inside town and also out in the country around there.

Have you been to Davison lately?

Imlay City, Lapeer, Ortonville, Grand Blanc, Port Huron, Name a city in Michigan and you will find empty buildings in it and empty homes too. Just a fact of life in Michigan. People lost their jobs and left the state. People do not spend money at Places like Caros Office supplies when they can order on line from Staples, Office Max and Office Depot and have it sent to their home cheaper than the local down town store. That is just one of the examples.

Any town USA flash a bunch of cash, sport fancy jewlery and a big old lap top computer and You might just get robbed.

There is a crack house in Grand Blanc, A house of illreput in Lapeer, A whole bunch of Pawn shops in Burton where you can get money for the stuff you robbed NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

Al

Old 06-06-2010, 12:06 PM

258 posts, read 579,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlowman View Post
FCHS class of 1966, but I haven't lived in Flint since 1968; only visited in 1989, 2007 and last summer.

I'm not sure that was the best neighborhood years ago, even with the proximity to the East Village. Many of my classmates lived south of Court Street, across from and to the east of Mott CC, but west of Dort Highway. Their parents were doctors, dentists (my girlfriend's father), attorneys and other professionals. So, if you can manage it, I'd suggest that area. While in Flint last summer I drove through that neighborhood, and the houses and yards are all well-maintained.

Hope that helps.
I was one of those people who grew up on E. Court, directly across from the CC. My father was one of those doctors. I'm not your classmate (I'm a little older by 4 yrs, went to St. Matts) but I rode the city bus home from downtown and it picked up Central students on the way to my stop (Beard St.). I had a wonderful childhood and felt safe most of the time. That was a long time ago but I have a classmate who still lives in that area - never left Flint. She also feels safe on Maxine St. I can only hope that the neighborhood hasn't completely become trash. Thanks for your take on 'my' neighborhood.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:57 PM

489 posts, read 855,101 times
Interesting! My girlfriend at the time lived on Calumet. It's been so long that I had to bring up a Google Map of Flint, but I can see that your bus stop was across the street from the church that bordered the Mott CC campus.

St. Matt's was downtown, near the Federal Building, no?

Driving through there last summer, for old times' sake, I can assure you that it's still very nice.

If you want depressing, my old neighborhood, Second AVE and Mason ST, is a sad sight to behold. When I was growing up the homes were mostly owned by retirees or those nearing retirement age. There were actually rather few children in the neighborhood. Today, my parents' house, as well as my grandparents' across the street, are vacant lots. The apartments, mid-block between Mason and Grand Traverse, that I witnessed being built as a child, are empty and trashed. Without bias, I can vouch that they once were VERY nice. After I left for college, my parents downsized and moved into one before retiring to Florida in 1975.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlowman View Post
Interesting! My girlfriend at the time lived on Calumet. It's been so long that I had to bring up a Google Map of Flint, but I can see that your bus stop was across the street from the church that bordered the Mott CC campus.

St. Matt's was downtown, near the Federal Building, no?

Driving through there last summer, for old times' sake, I can assure you that it's still very nice.

If you want depressing, my old neighborhood, Second AVE and Mason ST, is a sad sight to behold. When I was growing up the homes were mostly owned by retirees or those nearing retirement age. There were actually rather few children in the neighborhood. Today, my parents' house, as well as my grandparents' across the street, are vacant lots. The apartments, mid-block between Mason and Grand Traverse, that I witnessed being built as a child, are empty and trashed. Without bias, I can vouch that they once were VERY nice. After I left for college, my parents downsized and moved into one before retiring to Florida in 1975.
St. Matts was on the corner of Beach and Church St's, I think. My dad had his medical office for a long time on Grand Traverse near 2nd. Small world!

Old 06-08-2010, 10:08 PM

489 posts, read 855,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dori36 View Post
St. Matts was on the corner of Beach and Church St's, I think. My dad had his medical office for a long time on Grand Traverse near 2nd. Small world!
Was his office on Second Avenue or Second Street? Grand Traverse and Second Avenue was primarily residential. We were always getting mail for 402 West Second Street, which was an office.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:18 AM

362 posts, read 360,810 times
Had to go down town yesterday with bussness on North Saginaw street.
Worst problem with the area is parking. You can spent $2.00 to use the gragage for about 20 miniutes I was there. Get a permit from the U of M To use their 40 acre of mostly empty lot. Or just take a chance of getting a ticket like I did for about 20 minutes. When I left I took Robert T. Longway to Dort to Court and went to Courtland mall. didn't see one dead person, drug dealer, mugging or robbery.

Al

Old 06-10-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyyooper View Post
Had to go down town yesterday with bussness on North Saginaw street.
Worst problem with the area is parking. You can spent $2.00 to use the gragage for about 20 miniutes I was there. Get a permit from the U of M To use their 40 acre of mostly empty lot. Or just take a chance of getting a ticket like I did for about 20 minutes. When I left I took Robert T. Longway to Dort to Court and went to Courtland mall. didn't see one dead person, drug dealer, mugging or robbery.

Al
Nice to hear, Al! Maybe I need to make a trip down to drive through "memory lane"!

Old 06-10-2010, 05:33 PM

30 posts, read 42,180 times
No part of flint is safe anymore. On top of there being no job the crime is through the roof. Crime in Flint is so out of control the state police are now patroling along with city police and there is talk of calling in the national guard. It's like the wild wild west our murder rate is out of control along with robberys, home invasions. Citizens of Flint are trying to leave just like the thousands that already have over theses last years.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:47 PM

30 posts, read 42,180 times
Anyone that says Flint is not that bad or just as bad as anywhere else is not being honest. This little bitty city has one of the highest crime rates in the country. Some of the crime here may be drug related but definately not all. the young people are now killing for sport. They shoot into moving cars, pull up next to cars and shoot in them. Flint is out of control and lots of people are committing crimes because they know they wont be caught and the jail is to capacity. Not trying to scare you i'm telling you the truth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan