U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-25-2010, 01:24 PM
 
30 posts, read 59,496 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

My bad Sloan.....lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-27-2010, 04:10 AM
 
82 posts, read 317,945 times
Reputation: 81
Flint is beyond hope, I'm afraid. Alleyoop / Tricia and any others painting it as "Mayberry" need to wake up. Our elderly are being beaten for a few dollars. University girls are raped regularly. Stores can't stay open, those who try to move in and help often find themselves a victim!

Face it. . .we are being overtaken by savagery, by the wild roaming gangs at night. Inner city mayhem, and it gets worse & worse each year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia819 View Post
Flint isn't even on the Forbes list anymore, due to our population decline.
That's ripe. Not enough murder victims left so Flint has become safer? Spread that one on the roses, trish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2011, 03:58 PM
 
2 posts, read 2,790 times
Reputation: 10
It is nowhere near as bad as gbarron says. It can get a little tough north of the river in a few small places but the rest of the town is great. The downtown is better than its been in 25 years, lots of fun. Come check it out next time you're in town. I'm not a homer for Flint just a REALIST.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2011, 04:28 PM
 
Location: SE Michigan
6,191 posts, read 15,740,054 times
Reputation: 10261
This thread is seven months old...

That said, saying the north end of Flint is a "little tough" is sort of like saying the Titanic disaster was a "little accident at sea."

I'm a realist too...I have advocated for areas of Flint here many times before and lived there for over six years - recently moved to Mt Morris because Flint is, basically, lame.

Downtown being "lots of fun"? Oh please, come on now. Except for the few times a year Flint has a daytime event (Back to the Bricks etc) downtown Flint is a wasteland. Nobody walks there except the few people that have to - from the city buildings to the courthouse, or people going to the social security building who don't have cars and had to take public transportation, then walk. On a walk along Riverfront Park in the middle of summer, I might encounter half a dozen people on a two-mile stroll. And those are mostly homeless, people fishing for food or disnfranchised people with nowhere else to go. People who go to school or work downtown Flint drive there, do their business, then leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2011, 10:50 PM
 
Location: FLINT (yeah you read that right!), MI
336 posts, read 821,094 times
Reputation: 166
Replying to a post that is seven months old is fairly pointless, but I'd like the link that demonstrates "university girls are raped regularly". U of M Flint has had record breaking enrollment numbers since the dorms opened, security sends e-mails to all students reporting any criminal or suspicious activity and I have gotten NOTHING about a serial rapist on campus and if these girls aren't reporting it to the campus police...how do YOU know?

Chiro, when was the last time you were down there? The Durant reopened last year and IS FULL! A member of my league lives there and walks to campus and work (at a nice restaurant...where you may ask...DOWNTOWN!) and hasn't had any problems. The grocery store is doing well, the Lunch Studio is wonderful, the Loft is busy every weekend, as is Raspberrys, and now Local is reopening.

No, an oasis it's not. Not all of us that live here are blind or illiterate. We know the north end and a large chunk of the east side between Averill and 475 needs to be razed. So we don't go there, not that there is any reason to go there in the first place. If you're going there you're hanging around with the wrong crowd and just begging for trouble.

We know the city might as well declare bankruptcy. We can't afford enough police or fire fighters. We're the ones who are getting the bill for the white elephant that is the Genesee Towers.

I'm involved in an organization that is trying to make a difference no matter how small. WHAT ARE YOU DOING? Nothing. Why should you? You don't live here. And if you don't live here, you have no room to complain because you have no vested interest. Pay attention to the problems in your own community and quit worrying about ours as they don't affect you in the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2011, 05:45 AM
 
Location: SE Michigan
6,191 posts, read 15,740,054 times
Reputation: 10261
If you look at my other posts about Flint, you'll see that I've defended it quite often...I was responding the the ridiculous post about Flint being "lots of fun", "great" and "a little tough." Just because a city has some bars and restaurants that are "lots of fun" and even thriving - and it does - does not make the entire city so.

There are indeed some lovely neighborhoods and a lot of people who care and grassroots organizations. Of course Flint affects me, I drive through it every day, very often work in the city, owned a home there until last summer, have friends there and shop businesses in Flint. It's not like I moved out of state, I moved about seven miles north of the house I had on the east side, not far north of the city line. Of course it affects me.

I go to the Farmers Market regularly - in fact for the last five years I have made it a point to do most of my Christmas shopping at the Farmers Market, it's one of Flint's bright spots and I try to support independent business.

I drive through downtown frequently, daily if you count the freeway. Last time I actually walked there? A couple of weeks ago, just for fun on a warmer weekday, I walked one of my dogs from where I'd parked at the Halo Burger down to about I-69 and back. I walk a lot. It was depressing. Although you are correct; the small area that is downtown Flint barely registers on the crime map.

When I lived in Flint I went to the crimewatch meetings, helped out with the annual trash pick-up and Flint River clean up almost every year. I'll do that again this spring, it's fun. I also volunteered to write for the East Village Magazine and did so for over a year, going to one or two community meetings a week and city council meetings, as well as covering some events and interesting people in Flint. I am secretary for a Flint-based animal rescue that often gets dogs from the FPD and is active in the community, helping with spay-neutering of dogs and cats, donating food to people who can't afford to feed their pets and holding low-cost vaccination clinics. In fact we're having our annual rabies and other vax clinic the first weekend in Feb at Petco on Miller Road. I'm the skinny redhead if you want to come down and say hello.

So...yes Flint does affect me, and you are incorrect in your accusation that I do NOTHING in the community. Those were baseless and uninformed assumptions on your part.

Do you really think that since I moved outside of the city limits that I should cease all involvement with Flint? I'm trying to be part of the solution, not part of the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 04:13 PM
 
Location: FLINT (yeah you read that right!), MI
336 posts, read 821,094 times
Reputation: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherjohnson View Post
Flint is beyond hope, I'm afraid. Alleyoop / Tricia and any others painting it as "Mayberry" need to wake up. Our elderly are being beaten for a few dollars. University girls are raped regularly. Stores can't stay open, those who try to move in and help often find themselves a victim!

Face it. . .we are being overtaken by savagery, by the wild roaming gangs at night. Inner city mayhem, and it gets worse & worse each year.



That's ripe. Not enough murder victims left so Flint has become safer? Spread that one on the roses, trish.
By the by, it was meant to be tongue in cheek...sorry my subtle humor is beyond you.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 04:22 PM
 
Location: FLINT (yeah you read that right!), MI
336 posts, read 821,094 times
Reputation: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
If you look at my other posts about Flint, you'll see that I've defended it quite often...I was responding the the ridiculous post about Flint being "lots of fun", "great" and "a little tough." Just because a city has some bars and restaurants that are "lots of fun" and even thriving - and it does - does not make the entire city so.

There are indeed some lovely neighborhoods and a lot of people who care and grassroots organizations. Of course Flint affects me, I drive through it every day, very often work in the city, owned a home there until last summer, have friends there and shop businesses in Flint. It's not like I moved out of state, I moved about seven miles north of the house I had on the east side, not far north of the city line. Of course it affects me.

I go to the Farmers Market regularly - in fact for the last five years I have made it a point to do most of my Christmas shopping at the Farmers Market, it's one of Flint's bright spots and I try to support independent business.

I drive through downtown frequently, daily if you count the freeway. Last time I actually walked there? A couple of weeks ago, just for fun on a warmer weekday, I walked one of my dogs from where I'd parked at the Halo Burger down to about I-69 and back. I walk a lot. It was depressing. Although you are correct; the small area that is downtown Flint barely registers on the crime map.

When I lived in Flint I went to the crimewatch meetings, helped out with the annual trash pick-up and Flint River clean up almost every year. I'll do that again this spring, it's fun. I also volunteered to write for the East Village Magazine and did so for over a year, going to one or two community meetings a week and city council meetings, as well as covering some events and interesting people in Flint. I am secretary for a Flint-based animal rescue that often gets dogs from the FPD and is active in the community, helping with spay-neutering of dogs and cats, donating food to people who can't afford to feed their pets and holding low-cost vaccination clinics. In fact we're having our annual rabies and other vax clinic the first weekend in Feb at Petco on Miller Road. I'm the skinny redhead if you want to come down and say hello.

So...yes Flint does affect me, and you are incorrect in your accusation that I do NOTHING in the community. Those were baseless and uninformed assumptions on your part.

Do you really think that since I moved outside of the city limits that I should cease all involvement with Flint? I'm trying to be part of the solution, not part of the problem.
Sorry Chiro, I should have been more clear. I was disagreeing with your statement that downtown is lame. I thought it odd you think downtown Flint is lame, but somehow Mt. Morris is tons of fun? The rest of the post was directed at a post above yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 05:01 PM
 
Location: FLINT (yeah you read that right!), MI
336 posts, read 821,094 times
Reputation: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbarron View Post
Tricia819 you insist on makeing this subject an argument. What positives are there to foucus on? Please if you can name five. I'm pretty sure the majority of us that are still here and trying to make it possible to move away from here. In the mean time you stick around and search for positives but be careful in doing so.
Five huh? Okay I'll give it a shot.

1. Record enrollment at U of M Flint.
2. Two residence halls open and filled to capacity last time I checked.
3. Durant Hotel refurbished, open, and occupied.
4. Downtown has a grocery store now. (a long vacant building occupied.)
5. The Farmer's Market and urban agriculture.
6. DDA's beautiful restoration project.
7. Blackstone's is yummy and fills a area that has sat vacant for as long as I can remember.
8. Wise Guys Pizza, Raspberrys Cafe, The Lunch Studio (that one's been in business for eight years - the cheesy potato soup is WONDERFUL) - more long vacant spaces being utilized.
9. Local is reopening - another vacant space downtown will be filled.
10. Kettering was ranked #2 in the country for mechanical engineering by "America's Best Colleges".
11. The Flint City Derby Girls recently received WFTDA apprenticeship status. (Okay, I'm one of the few that would understand that it's a big deal, and they are on the lookout for a space in Flint they can rent for bouts on Saturdays.)
12. Flint has gotten national attention for the Back to the Bricks event, and it gets larger every year. I'm thinking Sturgis, ND.
13. Flint has also gotten national attention for our stance on shrinking the city.
14. "Urban Pioneering is the new frontier." It's helping Detroit, and it can help Flint.
15. Bishop Airport

Last edited by Tricia819; 02-04-2011 at 05:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 05:27 PM
 
Location: Loving life in Gaylord!
4,121 posts, read 7,911,684 times
Reputation: 3895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia819 View Post
Five huh? Okay I'll give it a shot.

1. Record enrollment at U of M Flint.
2. Two residence halls open and filled to capacity last time I checked.
3. Durant Hotel refurbished, open, and occupied.
4. Downtown has a grocery store now. (a long vacant building occupied.)
5. The Farmer's Market and urban agriculture.
6. DDA's beautiful restoration project.
7. Blackstone's is yummy and fills a area that has sat vacant for as long as I can remember.
8. Wise Guys Pizza, Raspberrys Cafe, The Lunch Studio (that one's been in business for eight years - the cheesy potato soup is WONDERFUL) - more long vacant spaces being utilized.
9. Local is reopening - another vacant space downtown will be filled.
10. Kettering was ranked #2 in the country for mechanical engineering by "America's Best Colleges".
11. The Flint City Derby Girls recently received WFTDA apprenticeship status. (Okay, I'm one of the few that would understand that it's a big deal, and they are on the lookout for a space in Flint they can rent for bouts on Saturdays.)
12. Flint has gotten national attention for the Back to the Bricks event, and it gets larger every year. I'm thinking Sturgis, ND.
13. Flint has also gotten national attention for our stance on shrinking the city.
14. "Urban Pioneering is the new frontier." It's helping Detroit, and it can help Flint.
15. Bishop Airport
Tricia...I am with you. I dont think Flint is near as bad as people think. Its bad in a lot of parts I know...but those things you mentioned are all positives. We live nearby, and love going to Flint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:41 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top