U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-04-2011, 05:11 PM

6,196 posts, read 6,000,182 times
Hey Trish.

No, Mt Morris doesn't have a whole lot going for it, for sure...certainly not "tons of fun" ha. Flint has a lt more to offer...mind you, apples and oranges, Mt Morris is a very small city.

To yoiur great list above, I'll add:

Some really good (and safe) parks and urban trails...parts of the FR trail, Kearsely Park and pavilion come to mind.
The Whiting.
Flint Institute of Arts.
Some very sincere, grass-roots activism and down-to-earth, friendly people.

I would still say that compared to many other comparable-sized cities I can think of, Flint is not "tons of fun" but there's plenty of stuff to do and fun to be had if you look.

As far as the crime, it's bad but not nearly as dangerous and people make out. A lot has to do both with common sense (don't leave your car warming up in the driveway for 20 minutes on a cold morning, don't get trashed and walk home from a north-end bar at 2 am, etc) and also the sorts of people you associate with...espite the stats, the majority of Flint residents are not thieves and violent felons and if you associate with neither IMO you're quite safe.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 02:11 PM

336 posts, read 538,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Hey Trish.

No, Mt Morris doesn't have a whole lot going for it, for sure...certainly not "tons of fun" ha. Flint has a lt more to offer...mind you, apples and oranges, Mt Morris is a very small city.

To yoiur great list above, I'll add:

Some really good (and safe) parks and urban trails...parts of the FR trail, Kearsely Park and pavilion come to mind.
The Whiting.
Flint Institute of Arts.
Some very sincere, grass-roots activism and down-to-earth, friendly people.

I would still say that compared to many other comparable-sized cities I can think of, Flint is not "tons of fun" but there's plenty of stuff to do and fun to be had if you look.

As far as the crime, it's bad but not nearly as dangerous and people make out. A lot has to do both with common sense (don't leave your car warming up in the driveway for 20 minutes on a cold morning, don't get trashed and walk home from a north-end bar at 2 am, etc) and also the sorts of people you associate with...espite the stats, the majority of Flint residents are not thieves and violent felons and if you associate with neither IMO you're quite safe.
Exactly! Crime is a matter of opportunity. There will always be instances of thugs taking advantage of those they see as "easy targets", even in the best areas.

And honestly, Genesee county is no Chicago, New York, or even Ann Arbor. Sometimes people've got to get creative to find something beyond the tired dinner and a movie when they're looking for thinks to do.

And another positive in Flint:

Diplomat Pharmacy - News

and

Back to life: Kettering University leaders revisit plans to turn old General Motors site into a 'technology park' | MLive.com

and http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/am...ties-2011.html

Guess which city isn't on it?

Moldman, I know...we usually see eye to eye.

Last edited by Tricia819; 02-07-2011 at 02:49 PM..

Old 02-07-2011, 04:03 PM

One of the bright spots of the Flint area (and a big part of why I haven't moved...I've lived several other states) is cheap real estate! No, it's not a great investment in most places these days...cities like Stockton and Merced would be fine if the real estate and rentals weren't still so high!

In Genesee county as a whole - including Flint - it's possible to buy really, really cheap homes in decent neighborhoods and thanks to the Landbank side lot program, have a humungous piece of property for less than what most people pay for a decent used car.

If you have a modest (under 5K) chunk of cash you can get a really decent home and live mortgage/rent-free, or get an easy short-term loan and have ridiculously tiny house payments for 3-6 years. Like under $200 a month. I've done both and don't understand why so many people are still renting in this area, to be honest. When I lived on the east side, a young couple a block away bought a house in 2008 for $1,000. Wasn't fancy and they had sheets instead of curtains for a while...but they got a blighted house for almost nothing and it's still being fixed up and looking 1000% better than it did when they bought it.

Given my relatively modest income, I'd rather spend less on a home and have more discretionary income to DO things with rather than HAVE things. And despite Flint/Genesee county not being a barrel of monkeys chock-full-o' fun, I agree there's plenty to see and do around here as long as you don't expect world-class city entertainment or dining.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:08 PM

487 posts, read 788,279 times
I've been away from this forum for a while, owing to retirement and a father-in-law in San Diego with some medical issues. Those issues have necessitated some scheduled and unscheduled trips to there, a distance of about 90 miles one-way.

Probably I've mentioned it before, but even in the 50s and 60s we knew what areas of Flint to avoid. Unfortunately, now that trouble has expanded to the west. The neighborhood where I grew up, near Second Avenue and Mason, is a true disaster area. Even in 1989, when I had dinner with an old golfing buddy, it was one of the worst drug areas in the city.

It looked even worse in 2007 and 2009. There was an overgrown vacant lot where my parents' house once stood. What buildings hadn't been torn down were vacant, with some burned, including the nice apartments mid-block where my parents moved after I left for college.

But it was evident that Flint was on the rebound, as others have noted, especially the downtown area.

Whoever said "You can never go home," said a mouthful.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,573 times
Saginaw is way safer than Flint

Old 02-19-2011, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jizzle05 View Post
Saginaw is way safer than Flint
So is Fargo, ND, A2, Canton and a lot of other places but the question was about Flint.
Saginaw is also a lot smaller than Flint.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:51 AM

8 posts, read 7,870 times
I lived in Flint from about 2002 to 2007. I would aim towards the area directly east of Mott Community College to south of Court st. The area around Pierce Elementary south of Court Street is a nice area. You will find plently of older charming homes there in well kept neighborhoods.

Also look south of Miller Road in the Woodcroft area which is gracious and charming. Many professionals live in Woodcroft and it is a safe and beautiful neighborhood.

Be sure to check out the Cultural Center and it's beautiful museums and performing arts center. Also the Farmer's Market and the new downtown restaurants.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:31 PM

3 posts, read 2,512 times
I'm a graduate of UMF and the worst thing that ever happened to me while going there was a panhandler came up to me one time. I was never ever afraid for my life. The campus is safe.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:35 PM

6 posts, read 7,999 times
I found the best way to live safely in Flint is to A. Not announce or show off you have money, though if you have money you would probably live outside of Flint, and B. Don't get into peoples business and just treat the people you come across with respect.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:50 AM
Status: ""Get busy living or Get busy dying" Your choice!" (set 23 days ago)

1,727 posts, read 797,220 times
Forgive me for reviving an old thread...
I just have to say WOW! What an education about your city...(I mean this in a positive way)
It was very uplifting to see what could have been just a b***h fest turn into a relatively positive representation of the people fighting hard for a city they love and know it's worth fighting for...
I wish you and your city all the best----for the people on this thread sticking up for your city I can say this about that--- with people like you in Flint the city has only one way to go and that is up!!!

P.S. I have been looking for a place to relocate and Michigan is on my list...after reading this thread I'm really leaning towards heading up to your great state...

TY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan