Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 11:45 AM

148 posts, read 234,002 times

Advertisements

Around the 700 block of Thomson St...just a few blocks away from Central High School. How's that area compared to the rest of the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 04:29 PM

493 posts, read 1,446,749 times
Default I went to Central, but it was a long time ago

FCHS class of 1966, but I haven't lived in Flint since 1968; only visited in 1989, 2007 and last summer.

I'm not sure that was the best neighborhood years ago, even with the proximity to the East Village. Many of my classmates lived south of Court Street, across from and to the east of Mott CC, but west of Dort Highway. Their parents were doctors, dentists (my girlfriend's father), attorneys and other professionals. So, if you can manage it, I'd suggest that area. While in Flint last summer I drove through that neighborhood, and the houses and yards are all well-maintained.

Hope that helps.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:59 AM

2 posts, read 6,471 times
it's alright, since it's near UofM, but i wouldn't go anywhere closer to hurley hospital. just avoid the north end and the state streets, and really close to hurley and you'll be alright.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:52 PM

336 posts, read 908,089 times
I agree with Ahhh...it's close to the university. You'll be alright.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:07 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,770,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinginjune2010 View Post
Around the 700 block of Thomson St...just a few blocks away from Central High School. How's that area compared to the rest of the city?
I'm not too sure, I definately would check the area before taking suggestions previously posted. I have a friend who sibling attended University of Michigan- Flint though transferred to Michigan State University when given the chance. Her sister said the campus was unsafe, assults, shootings etc... it was a scary place for the college student. Sounds like previous posters are giving you a discription from decades ago.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:22 PM

902 posts, read 2,786,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinginjune2010 View Post
Ehh, that part of Flint is alright. That particular block does have a few boarded up and abandoned homes, but I don't think crime is too bad in the immediate area, but if you venture off it isn't far from some bad areas. As someone previously said, the College Cultural District to the east of Mott College and the old Central High School but west of Dort is really nice. IMO the nice and most well maintained part of Flint. Although it isn't a huge neighborhood, but it looks quite beautiful actually. I do recall a couple of stabbings there this year though, and a shooting/drug and gun bust.

They say downtown is pretty safe, and it is improving but there are still abandoned homes/businesses and some sketchy places there still.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:10 PM

362 posts, read 695,643 times
there are still abandoned homes/businesses. How does this make an area unsafe? The've been burning them down to try to get rid of them you know.
Flint is like every other town in AMERICA if you respect other peoples rights and keep yourr nose out of the drug bussness then you safe in any of the towns.
You can go to Grand Blanc and mess with the drug dealers and end up dead.

Al

Old 06-03-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyyooper View Post
there are still abandoned homes/businesses. How does this make an area unsafe? The've been burning them down to try to get rid of them you know.
Flint is like every other town in AMERICA if you respect other peoples rights and keep yourr nose out of the drug bussness then you safe in any of the towns.
You can go to Grand Blanc and mess with the drug dealers and end up dead.

Al
Yes you could in regards to Grand Blanc LOL. I wasn't saying that abandoned homes & businesses make a place dangerous, it just isn't very pleasing to look at. Its actually quite depressing if you ask me. Downtown Flint isn't all that bad with crime compared to other parts of the city, but it still isn't a very pleasant place to live IMO. There still is violent crime, and crack houses, and dealers, etc...Also the people burning down the homes are not affiliated with the city gov't. They are residents who are taking action and setting fire to the abandoned properties. Even if the city does, it isn't a good thing. Also the majority of the homes set ablaze recently were in the North and East sides. I do agree though, if you mind your own business you will be fine.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:29 PM

336 posts, read 908,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
I'm not too sure, I definately would check the area before taking suggestions previously posted. I have a friend who sibling attended University of Michigan- Flint though transferred to Michigan State University when given the chance. Her sister said the campus was unsafe, assults, shootings etc... it was a scary place for the college student. Sounds like previous posters are giving you a discription from decades ago.
Nope...I am a current student. The U of M Flint campus is every bit as safe as any college campus. And for the record there have never been ANY shootings on campus. The worst thing that has ever happened is peoples cars getting broken into.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia819 View Post
Nope...I am a current student. The U of M Flint campus is every bit as safe as any college campus. And for the record there have never been ANY shootings on campus. The worst thing that has ever happened is peoples cars getting broken into.
No the campus is not as safe as any other college campus, albeit it is fairly safe, but it does have its fair share of incidences. I have heard and even read an article not long ago about the fear that the students there have of walking to their cars even in broad daylight. Students do get robbed and there may not be shootings on campus, but there are shootings close enough by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan