Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 08:29 AM

18 posts, read 83,087 times

Advertisements

Looking on the outside, its great that there is opportunites like the medical field for people still, but you have to wonder if sooner or later that will come to a screetching halt. I mean with all these people losing jobs & benefits that they need for basic health care, somehow it will break down the system even more, because somone has to pay the medical expenses. As far as the big 3.....its just not the auto industry hurting, its the tax base from the revenue of the big 3 that hurts public jobs such as teachers, police officers, and many more (and many school districts are in fact trimming down staffing). I read that the state is shutting down a prison in Jackson, and thats more people layed off (correctional officers, maintenence workers, secretaries etc.) Something has to fill in that gap (the big 3). It might help on a case to case basis to become specialized, and skilled in certain careers, but unless you are planning on having your own business, most people still rely on having to work for somebody. And as far as real estate, I would not suggest to anyone to purchase a home in Michigan right now. Michigan is close to leading the nation in foreclosures, and people have their home for sale for several months with no intrest, and most folks selling who are selling their homes, cant afford to ask less then they owe. This is the reality of the situation, and I believe Michigan will somehow turn around. But the government has to lure some top notch industry, and employers, and Michigan has to change. Times were once great in Michigan, but now it must catch up quickly with the rest of the world. I really do feel for people going through the stress of these issues, just hang in there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 08:53 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,452,835 times
Quote:
I repeat, those here who say "I am doing well and work for a collage or the health care industry" should think out side their small world, they are not Michigan.
Moderator cut: personal AFAIK, no one here is saying MI is doing great. However, there are some of us here saying it's not as apocalyptic as people like you are making it out to be. All the "MI will be abandoned so the last one turn the lights out" and "$500k houses selling for $100k" is total BS and you know it. People like you say that no one is getting a job, so one of posts examples to debunk the outrageous exaggerations and all of a sudden we are idiots who have to get a clue. No one here is happy that people are losing jobs and houses, but guess what, it happens all over the US and especially in the rust belt. The vast majority of adults in MI are gainfully employed, but you would never know it based on some of the posts here! You know what, it's about time MI begins to feel what most states have felt for decades - you can't just walk out of your high school graduation and feel entitled to an auto job that will pay for a Corvette and beach house just like it did for daddy.

Last edited by Marka; 05-29-2007 at 10:12 AM..

Old 05-29-2007, 09:32 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
AFAIK, no one here is saying MI is doing great. However, there are some of us here saying it's not as apocalyptic as people like you are making it out to be. All the "MI will be abandoned so the last one turn the lights out" and "$500k houses selling for $100k" is total BS and you know it. People like you say that no one is getting a job, so one of posts examples to debunk the outrageous exaggerations and all of a sudden we are idiots who have to get a clue. No one here is happy that people are losing jobs and houses, but guess what, it happens all over the US and especially in the rust belt. The vast majority of adults in MI are gainfully employed, but you would never know it based on some of the posts here! You know what, it's about time MI begins to feel what most states have felt for decades - you can't just walk out of your high school graduation and feel entitled to an auto job that will pay for a Corvette and beach house just like it did for daddy.
AMEN AND AMEN!!!! LOL

Last edited by Marka; 05-29-2007 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: edited quote

Old 05-29-2007, 09:59 AM

If everything is as awful as some posters say, why don't I see that in my day to day life? I moved to Michigan from southern Cali last year with 3 job offers, and I do not have a college education. We live in Royal Oak and it's vibrant here, we absolutely love it. Everyone I know has a job and is doing well. My parents and sister moved here before me, and we all absolutely love it.
Could it possibly be that there is good and bad in every state, city, country in the world? Could it be things are bad here now, but will sooner or later turn around? No, you say? Then your solution would be what...all 10 million of us pack up and move, leaving Michigan to go back to nature, maybe make it a huge National Park...???
A pox on the haters! If things were as bad as you all claim, THROUGHOUT THE STATE, FOR EVERY PERSON, I would not live here, period. If YOUR situation is that bad, then I'm truly sorry. But what applies to some, even in large numbers, does not apply to all...

Old 05-29-2007, 11:38 AM

106 posts, read 323,738 times
It can be hard to see the trouble that the state is in when you live here. We have friends that live in the Cleveland area and they were telling us that they see more and more abandoned buildings every time they come up to visit. If you are in the medical field you have a job in any state. It is not as easy going back to school when you have a family and need to pay rent/mortgage and other bills. It is not as easy to get help with your bills from the state while you are going to school and have a family. Michigan is wonderful but you have to do what you have to do.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:28 PM

34 posts, read 95,413 times
For all you manufactring types you could move to China and work old school like the way Detroit was built under Henry and the like.

YouTube - Chinese manufacturing safety

Lets see, seven people acting as shuttles for a progressive die. Average .55 cents an hour with NO retirement/benefits(I saw on the news GM pays a health claim every 30 seconds 24/7/365)

And that is how you can buy a stainless steel dog bowl for 2 bucks at wal-mart

I just wonder what closed down factory in the US that machine came from.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Kim View Post
It can be hard to see the trouble that the state is in when you live here. We have friends that live in the Cleveland area and they were telling us that they see more and more abandoned buildings every time they come up to visit. If you are in the medical field you have a job in any state. It is not as easy going back to school when you have a family and need to pay rent/mortgage and other bills. It is not as easy to get help with your bills from the state while you are going to school and have a family. Michigan is wonderful but you have to do what you have to do.
Are they driving thru Detroit? If so, well....duh!

I do see closed businesses and homes for sale everywhere. No one said Michigan is a Utopia or that times aren't tough. But, at least here in Oakland county, the level of closed businesses has so far looked no different than the amount I saw in California before I moved. Can't tell me not to believe my own experience, or my own eyes. Sorry!

Old 05-29-2007, 05:51 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,452,835 times
Quote:
It is not as easy going back to school when you have a family and need to pay rent/mortgage and other bills.
Therein lies the problem. Why not go to college when most people do? Why is it that the majority of the students in my Wayne State classes are ethnic minorities - amazing considering how white the state is - makes Berkeley look like BYU. On the flipside, I would guess that the vast majority of my dropouts and failing students are from 2nd, 3rd, 4th generation Big-3 employed families. How do I know? I have all my students write a mini-bio at the beginning of the semester and I noticed this trend early on. Something is terribly wrong in this day and age when a family has been here for generations and not one has a college education. Even more importantly, they see little to no value in an education. It has more to do with priorities than tuition money. My in-law's gardener comes from a long-time Big-3 family and moans about her job and the state of MI every time I see her. I ask why she didn't go to college and she states that she "didn't want to get stuck working behind a desk" and thought a Big-3 job would be waiting for her. That's fine, but please don't hate those who have opportunities based on their merit and achievments.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:34 AM

106 posts, read 323,738 times
Jeffandcandace.......actually they are driving through Monroe to Southgate. They never hit Detroit, we are about 10 miles south of Detroit.
Cato the Elder...... going to college right out of high school is the smartest thing to do. We had good jobs, I am a nurse and hubby was a truck driver, but was in a car accident and now is disabled (hubby). It is sad that a college grad can't find work too. It is bad all across the US. It is not as easy going back to school when you have a family and need to pay rent/mortgage and other bills. My husband lost his job and we couldn't afford him to take classes to better himself. The comment that I made referred to individuals that may have lost their jobs and wanted to better themselves with a college degree but couldn't afford it. Everyone has different circumstances that may prevent them from going to college. I didn't mean to offend anyone on either side. I remember the time when if you were able to get a BIG 3 job you were lucky. Those times are gone. Now if you have a job you are lucky.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:15 AM

837 posts, read 2,334,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
Therein lies the problem. Why not go to college when most people do? Why is it that the majority of the students in my Wayne State classes are ethnic minorities - amazing considering how white the state is - makes Berkeley look like BYU.

Please tell me WTF that has to do with the price of tea in china
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan