U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 10:19 AM

10 posts, read 10,981 times
We just recently moved out-of-state from the Traverse City area, where we were for three or four years. My son attended Norris Elementary there (sadly since closed) and we thought it was an excellent school. TCPS does indeed have an exemplary music program and a very good athletic program. My son was a member of the All-City Boys Choir and had a really good experience there. Having lived in West Michigan for a long time, I can honestly say that TCPS has as good, if not better, a school district as any other that I've encountered southwards. Top-notch!

And I definitely think the "drug issue" is MUCH better here than most anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 07:36 AM

10 posts, read 10,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely_whiplash67 View Post
We just recently moved out-of-state from the Traverse City area, where we were for three or four years. My son attended Norris Elementary there (sadly since closed) and we thought it was an excellent school. TCPS does indeed have an exemplary music program and a very good athletic program. My son was a member of the All-City Boys Choir and had a really good experience there. Having lived in West Michigan for a long time, I can honestly say that TCPS has as good, if not better, a school district as any other that I've encountered southwards. Top-notch!

And I definitely think the "drug issue" is MUCH better here than most anywhere else.
"Here" of course meaning "Traverse City." Whoops!

Old 02-23-2010, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 810 times
We choose to drive our son 25 miles into TCAPS over placing him into our local school. TCAPS is great!! He attends East Middle School.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:39 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,539,387 times
i have had no problems with Traverse schools, this is my daughters first year in that school district, and she's in 8th. I have heard good things about Traverse Academy as well.
if you want surrounding areas, Interlochen schools i heard were good as well. My neighbors daughter goes there.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:36 PM

54 posts, read 8,646 times
Hello,

As far as the Homeschooling goes: it's actually not as uncommon as people think. Me and my sister were homeschooled in TC for 2 years (the years that we lived there: 2006/2007)

And, as far as the "best family spot"-Traverse City is forsure the spot your looking for.

I just hate reading the MI forum and seeing that everybody wants to move to TC, it's gonna get ruined!!

Old 02-24-2010, 02:11 PM

3,831 posts, read 4,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rltluke View Post
Hello,

As far as the Homeschooling goes: it's actually not as uncommon as people think. Me and my sister were homeschooled in TC for 2 years (the years that we lived there: 2006/2007)

And, as far as the "best family spot"-Traverse City is forsure the spot your looking for.

I just hate reading the MI forum and seeing that everybody wants to move to TC, it's gonna get ruined!!

LOL! We want to live near TC, but not really in TC. We really like Interlochen. As long as its in that general area...Ill be happy!

Old 02-24-2010, 02:19 PM

809 posts, read 994,519 times
Quote:
Hello,

Kinda makes you feel like, "I need to hurry up and move there before everybody else does".

Old 03-08-2010, 11:53 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,423,468 times
Quote:
Hello,

TC is going to be "ruined" by people moving there? Sure.....people have been saying that for 30 years, grasshopper, and it's done nothing but get better as it grows and changes.
More people can make a decent living there, shopping restaurants etc. are the best they've ever been, recreational opportunities are great, the local culture is interesting and vibrant, old decrepit parts of the city are being refurbished..what, exactly, is the downside of this?
Here's a hint, if you're present to observe the changes (that you see negatively) then you're also part of the problem (if there is one).

Old 03-09-2010, 06:38 AM

1,197 posts, read 1,725,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
TC is going to be "ruined" by people moving there? Sure.....people have been saying that for 30 years, grasshopper, and it's done nothing but get better as it grows and changes.
More people can make a decent living there, shopping restaurants etc. are the best they've ever been, recreational opportunities are great, the local culture is interesting and vibrant, old decrepit parts of the city are being refurbished..what, exactly, is the downside of this?
Here's a hint, if you're present to observe the changes (that you see negatively) then you're also part of the problem (if there is one).
I second this opinion. If growth was going to ruin TC then it was ruined a long time ago. I lived in Rapid City and worked in TC for awhile and the people who lived there did nothing but gripe about how it's changed and gotten too big and they hate the fudgies blah blah blah. We were a builders supply company and I turned to them and said. " well without the people from downstate visiting how much of this town could survive? And if it were not for growth..... well we would not be delivering this drywall to a newly built house would we?"
My wife will be a nurse in less than 2 years. My first choice to relocate it TC. With how many people have moved out of the area it would do much better to replace them than not. Do a search for homes, there are A LOT.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:22 AM

934 posts, read 1,546,734 times
Traverse City is getting better in many aspects since we moved here 5 1/2 years. It is on the national radar thanks to the Film Festival, Cherry Festival, gorgeous waterfront, etc. etc. Also becoming more diverse, albeitly slowly. It is still lily-white but changing, thankfully
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan