U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-06-2010, 05:05 PM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
30,351 posts, read 75,425,660 times
Reputation: 38596

Advertisements

If you WANT to become a yooper, then you do need help try a good psychotherapist and some heavy meds.












just kidding.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-05-2010, 12:34 PM
 
507 posts, read 847,840 times
Reputation: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr18 View Post
I will graduate next spring with a Bachelor's Degree in Elementary Ed. So kind of basic but still a degree nonetheless. I was just curious becuase I know that some areas in the nation are in desperate need of teachers; however, I wasn't sure about the UP. Is the UP considered to be a desirable location where teachers are plentiful or are they in need? That is fine if you don't know the answer.

Also, when I visited Lake Superior last summer I was amazed at how peaceful it is. One of the few times I just looked in awe at nature (and I'm not a nature type of guy). So it felt just so natural. We'll see.

NMU produces more teachers who want to stay in UP than there are jobs for them.
You're chances of getting a job without "knowing" someone are very slim indeed.

The way it works most places is the super in one place hires the nephew of a super 200 miles away who hires his niece.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2010, 04:37 PM
 
3 posts, read 8,993 times
Reputation: 12
Default Delta County

Hi I currently live in the UP, Delta County MI and can't stand it. I'm originally from the area, moved away when I was 19, lived in several big cities, and moved back after being gone for almost 20 years. I loved coming home to visit and that's why I wanted to move back here, but believe me it was not a good move. For one thing if you're not a big drinker you won't fit in with 95% of the people up here. Also if you don't own your own business, have relatives or know a lot of people from here then you won't fit it, unless you're good at kissing butt, which I am not. People are very gossipy and judgemental. The people with money think they are so much better(which is the case anywhere), but in this case even though they have money, they are still hicks. Money doesn't mean you automatically have class, and that's the case around here. Sorry for being so negative, but I can't help it. I thought the world of this place but once I moved back it had all changed, and it's not the same as it was when I was a kid, its too bad.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2010, 04:45 PM
 
3 posts, read 8,993 times
Reputation: 12
Homes and properties used to be decently priced (about 3 years ago when the ecomony was good), now that it's bad prices are wayyyy toooo much, it's ridiculous. I think it is the IL and down state people driving it up. I agree with the person from MN.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2010, 05:36 PM
 
Location: State of Superior
8,732 posts, read 15,374,936 times
Reputation: 2862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Ingalls View Post
Homes and properties used to be decently priced (about 3 years ago when the ecomony was good), now that it's bad prices are wayyyy toooo much, it's ridiculous. I think it is the IL and down state people driving it up. I agree with the person from MN.
You wouldn't feel that way if you owned a home ! Up here in Marquette County home values have held up quite well, compared to what is going on down state.... Building permits have been strong, but just this last month have come to a hault. ( lots of building still going on, hard to find workers , as it always is in the summer). It may be that we are one of the last to see the downturn...or maybe its not going to happen...will see. I know a few builders/trades that are coming up here from Delta and Iron County to work......maybe you just live in the wrong part of the U.P.? lol.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2010, 08:38 PM
 
2 posts, read 7,568 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by susieJD View Post
Envy? Sorry Charlie....there's a thing called "Quality of Life" and if you look at all the statistics you'll see that life is better in the Midwest. Our temperatures are only a little different then the UP. Our property taxes lot lower here. 40 acre homestead and we only pay $250.00 (two hundred and fifty dollars) for the entire year. The prices in Grand Maria are equal to what you would pay in the UP. But you get a lot more house and a lot more property.

Don't forget...as I said, I've been there and done that with the UP.

Susie
Something to consider if retiring in Michigan verses Minnesota. State of Michigan does not tax social security, federal, military, state County, and local government pensions. Minnesota taxes them all to some extent. Wisconsin taxes are in between MN and MI. If money is not an object then MN is the place to be. Its very nice like you said. I stay there 3 weeks a year.

Remember... "Property tax in Minnesota: There is a Senior Citizen Property Tax Deferral Program allows people 65 years of age or older, whose household incomes are $60,000 or less, to defer a portion of their property tax on their home. This deferral program has two primary advantages for senior citizens. It limits the maximum amount of property tax you pay to three percent of your total household income, and it provides predictability. The amount of tax you pay will not change for as long as you participate in this program. It is not a tax forgiveness program. It is a low interest loan from the state. The deferred tax is paid by the state to your county. Interest will be charged on this loan. The interest rate will be adjusted annually, but will never exceed five percent. A lien will attach to your property." from retirementliving.com

I hope you are not referring to the low tax on your property under this deferred tax program. The real tax is still owed. If not, then that's a great tax rate. But property tax is not the whole story.

A low property tax rate is cold comfort when I compare all taxes,(income, pension, investment, sales, property, auto.. etc) compared to Michigan. Only a few like gas tax was cheaper in MN, but the rest are higher in MN. Kiplingers and money magazine have all the comparisons.

I turned down a job with 10% increase pay in MN because my net income would have gone down 6% compared to Michigan. It would have taken me 4 years to close the gap and by then I would be retiring in a state much harder on retirees income. I still love northern MN and will be back soon.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2010, 10:03 PM
 
2 posts, read 7,568 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiya071 View Post
I live in the western U.P. and have to say that there are huge differences across the peninsula, and you can't judge the whole place by 1 or 2 cities.

We have "snowbelts." Higher elevations get more snow and and areas within 30 miles of Superior get lake effect snow. We get both! We might get 6" of snow one day, but 15 miles either direction they get just a trace. I rarely find a need to use 4-wheel drive.

We do not burn wood, and we do not have a generator. We live in "town" (pop 440) where we have gas heat, public water and sewer. There is a family owned grocery store, a gas station, a bank, post office, senior center, restaurant, and 2 bars. We even have a tennis court, a public beach, a playground and a rustic campground.

We also have a fire department and ambulance service. We are 15 miles from a doctor's office and 30 miles from 2 different hospitals (opposite directions).

I have lived in more isolated in lower Michigan.

We were born and raised in Lansing, so we always look at their weather for comparisons, and most days, its within 5 degrees. Come winter, that makes a difference between the freezing rain and snow.

Our last residence was north of Grand Rapids, MI. We lost power there several times each year. If the wind blew hard, we'd be without power. In the nearly 5 years we've lived here in the U.P., we've lost power once, and it was for just a few hours.

Jobs ARE scarce. My husband had a job before we moved here, but I have not been able to secure a full-time position. I have worked part-time and temp jobs, and have found that you have to know the right people to get those.

I guess I'm just saying, there is a lot more to the U.P. than most realize.
I agree. I have lived in Flint, Davison, E. Lansing, Grand Rapids, Marshall, Cheboygan, Houghton Lake, Sault Ste Marie, Big Bay, Ontonagon and Calumet, Michigan.


For 5 years I drove the 410 mi, 8 hr (good weather) distance each week between my office in Eagle River in Keweenaw County to my 2nd home in Houghton Lake in Roscommon County. If you used your head and slowed to driving conditions you don't need a 4 wheel drive. I drove a little 2 wheel drive Nisson pickup. I would just put 400 lbs of weight in back for winter, used snow tires and went when and where ever I needed to go. I was mostly on the road between 6pm and 2am in the winter.



Yep, in the dark of night even in a middle of a bad snow band/storm that may have lasted for hrs. I was fine and I didn't have a cell phone. I always had water, food, snowmobile suite and boot and a -20 F sleeping bag if needed. You just travel prepared. After a while, what would scare most as an occasional trip will become second nature once you do it over and over. My truck even went up the steep snow covered streets in Houghton and Hancock with no problems. Not once in 5 years did I drove this commute did I go off the road or get stuck. Remember.. before 4 wheel drive was available everyone got round like this. People just need to adjust to conditions.

Elevation is very important for snow fall. One year we had green grass in Eagle River Court house grounds during a mild Feburary and used the outside grill, while 2 miles up the road at higher elevations in Phoenix there was 2 feet of snow everywhere.


The UP counties do an excellent job of clearing the roads. For 4 years I was the first one to show up at the office at the Keweenaw County Court House, so I shoveled off the snow from the side walks at 6am. Driving to my office at 5:30 am I always had a clear, plowed road from Calumet to Eagle River.

Power was very stable in the Keweenaw . It was out for more than a hour only once. Usually if it did go out it was only a second or two. At the same time at my other home in Houghton Lake I would loose power 6-10 times a years. Usually 3-4 hours and some time as long as 3 days.


Now I live I Allendale, west of Grand Rapids and power is pretty stable here. I love this place too. Especially the beach towns on Lake Michigan. I'll retire to western UP. Having lived all over the state for 3-4 year at each spot I can say the western UP is the prettiest. The area between South Haven to Cheboygan by Lake Michigan is 2nd prettiest. Housing in UP is cheap, traffic is low, roads are good, people are nice, and I love all 4 seasons.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2010, 07:44 AM
 
Location: State of Superior
8,732 posts, read 15,374,936 times
Reputation: 2862
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthods View Post
I agree. I have lived in Flint, Davison, E. Lansing, Grand Rapids, Marshall, Cheboygan, Houghton Lake, Sault Ste Marie, Big Bay, Ontonagon and Calumet, Michigan.


For 5 years I drove the 410 mi, 8 hr (good weather) distance each week between my office in Eagle River in Keweenaw County to my 2nd home in Houghton Lake in Roscommon County. If you used your head and slowed to driving conditions you don't need a 4 wheel drive. I drove a little 2 wheel drive Nisson pickup. I would just put 400 lbs of weight in back for winter, used snow tires and went when and where ever I needed to go. I was mostly on the road between 6pm and 2am in the winter.



Yep, in the dark of night even in a middle of a bad snow band/storm that may have lasted for hrs. I was fine and I didn't have a cell phone. I always had water, food, snowmobile suite and boot and a -20 F sleeping bag if needed. You just travel prepared. After a while, what would scare most as an occasional trip will become second nature once you do it over and over. My truck even went up the steep snow covered streets in Houghton and Hancock with no problems. Not once in 5 years did I drove this commute did I go off the road or get stuck. Remember.. before 4 wheel drive was available everyone got round like this. People just need to adjust to conditions.

Elevation is very important for snow fall. One year we had green grass in Eagle River Court house grounds during a mild Feburary and used the outside grill, while 2 miles up the road at higher elevations in Phoenix there was 2 feet of snow everywhere.


The UP counties do an excellent job of clearing the roads. For 4 years I was the first one to show up at the office at the Keweenaw County Court House, so I shoveled off the snow from the side walks at 6am. Driving to my office at 5:30 am I always had a clear, plowed road from Calumet to Eagle River.

Power was very stable in the Keweenaw . It was out for more than a hour only once. Usually if it did go out it was only a second or two. At the same time at my other home in Houghton Lake I would loose power 6-10 times a years. Usually 3-4 hours and some time as long as 3 days.


Now I live I Allendale, west of Grand Rapids and power is pretty stable here. I love this place too. Especially the beach towns on Lake Michigan. I'll retire to western UP. Having lived all over the state for 3-4 year at each spot I can say the western UP is the prettiest. The area between South Haven to Cheboygan by Lake Michigan is 2nd prettiest. Housing in UP is cheap, traffic is low, roads are good, people are nice, and I love all 4 seasons.
Good post from someone who has walked the walk....
I to have noticed the utilities and road maintenance to be much more stable in the U.P. than in Lower Michigan. Up here the roads are plowed 24-7 , including week-ends. The power does not go out weekly and for hours like it did downstate.... All in all , living in the U.P. can be quite civilized, contary to the popular belief of many that live under the Bridge.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2010, 08:16 AM
 
Location: Loving life in Gaylord!
4,120 posts, read 8,554,257 times
Reputation: 3913
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Good post from someone who has walked the walk....
I to have noticed the utilities and road maintenance to be much more stable in the U.P. than in Lower Michigan. Up here the roads are plowed 24-7 , including week-ends. The power does not go out weekly and for hours like it did downstate.... All in all , living in the U.P. can be quite civilized, contary to the popular belief of many that live under the Bridge.
Most of the talk about the U.P in a negative light is probably by people who have never been there. It only takes a few visits to see things are just the opposite.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2010, 08:45 AM
 
Location: State of Superior
8,732 posts, read 15,374,936 times
Reputation: 2862
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Most of the talk about the U.P in a negative light is probably by people who have never been there. It only takes a few visits to see things are just the opposite.
Yes so true , however , even Yoopers like to make light of " living in Yooperland". There was a time when it was a forgotten place , mostly because of being off the trade routes, and because of the decline in mining. The closing of the AFB did not help ether in recent years.... Things have changed quite a lot in the last 15 years.... Thirty years ago , I would never have considered moving to Marquette, it had deteriorated into a dump mostly.... My , my how things have changed !!.... Most of the Yooper books you see reflect times long ago past, are exaggerated, and mostly ethnic motivated toward the Finnish culture. Sort of our version of " Lake Woebegone" as depicted by Garrison Keeler on NPR...about living in Rural Minnesota.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:06 PM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top