Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 02:00 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
The UP sounds like such a paradise with access to Lake Superior. I keep thinking about moving there, but I don't believe I could tolerate so much snow. I'm just not a winter person so even down here in the LP it's very hard for me. I like 80 degree days and really don't mind when the temps hit 90. Folks like me keep trying to decide where to live because I'm more suited to warmer parts of the country, but I know I'd miss our Great Lakes. I love these threads about the UP. I've learned a lot about them. The only other place I think I would like outside of Michigan would be Virginia or New Mexico.
If I had a way to do it ,.....I would live in the UP most of the year , with a winter place in Northern New Mexico. They still get snow in NM . but the climate is tempered by the latitude. The high desert is interesting , Santa Fe is a neat place for shopping,crafts, and easy lifestyle, but the lack of trees, dust storms , and dryness... makes it not a year round place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 02:16 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,642,026 times
I've always wondered what Sante Fe is like. Sometimes I think living in an RV traveling around would suit my needs. Michigan is blessed in so many ways. It's just the constant cold weather that's an issue for people like me.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:42 PM

121 posts, read 175,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs9810 View Post
Hi, My husband and I have 3 kids. We homeschool and live in the country. We raise animals and have gardens and love where we live. We are between Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo now, but we would like to move up to the UP. My husband is currently in pest control. Any advise on a good fit? Any one know anything about pest control jobs up there? Thanks,

The winters are very harsh there, so you might want to invest in a truck with a four wheel drive, a couple of snowmobiles and a four wheeler. Then you'd have some way of getting into town when the snow got too deep. You'd prob'ly want to have a wood burner or fireplace insert as well. And a generator in case the electric went out.

In any case, do your homework and double check before committing yourself, family and finances. Good luck.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squab View Post
The winters are very harsh there, so you might want to invest in a truck with a four wheel drive, a couple of snowmobiles and a four wheeler. Then you'd have some way of getting into town when the snow got too deep. You'd prob'ly want to have a wood burner or fireplace insert as well. And a generator in case the electric went out.

In any case, do your homework and double check before committing yourself, family and finances. Good luck.
Unless you live off the grid , there is no need for a generator. The power up here is more stable than in most of Lower Michigan, I know . When I lived in South Haven , it was always off, even the smallest wind or rain storm. We know how to handle our utilities , by planing ahead , its the UP way. As far as internet services lots of folks are using air cards, mine works better than cable ever did.....We are not that remote , unless you want to be...lots of folks survive just fine with a standard car ( snow tires are a must have), just like in Grand Rapids or any other city in Michigan or Wisconsin.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:03 PM

121 posts, read 175,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Unless you live off the grid , there is no need for a generator. The power up here is more stable than in most of Lower Michigan, I know . When I lived in South Haven , it was always off, even the smallest wind or rain storm. We know how to handle our utilities , by planing ahead , its the UP way. As far as internet services lots of folks are using air cards, mine works better than cable ever did.....We are not that remote , unless you want to be...lots of folks survive just fine with a standard car ( snow tires are a must have), just like in Grand Rapids or any other city in Michigan or Wisconsin.
Well, that's good then. I'd love to live there myself, but don't think I could take all that cold and snow. I get enough of them here. Never heard of an "air card."

Then, so long as they don't live remote they should be fine. It sure is gorgeous there. Birdies. Deer. Streams. Falls. Really spectacular.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:15 AM

9 posts, read 18,156 times
Default The whole UP is not the same

I live in the western U.P. and have to say that there are huge differences across the peninsula, and you can't judge the whole place by 1 or 2 cities.

We have "snowbelts." Higher elevations get more snow and and areas within 30 miles of Superior get lake effect snow. We get both! We might get 6" of snow one day, but 15 miles either direction they get just a trace. I rarely find a need to use 4-wheel drive.

We do not burn wood, and we do not have a generator. We live in "town" (pop 440) where we have gas heat, public water and sewer. There is a family owned grocery store, a gas station, a bank, post office, senior center, restaurant, and 2 bars. We even have a tennis court, a public beach, a playground and a rustic campground.

We also have a fire department and ambulance service. We are 15 miles from a doctor's office and 30 miles from 2 different hospitals (opposite directions).

I have lived in more isolated in lower Michigan.

We were born and raised in Lansing, so we always look at their weather for comparisons, and most days, its within 5 degrees. Come winter, that makes a difference between the freezing rain and snow.

Our last residence was north of Grand Rapids, MI. We lost power there several times each year. If the wind blew hard, we'd be without power. In the nearly 5 years we've lived here in the U.P., we've lost power once, and it was for just a few hours.

Jobs ARE scarce. My husband had a job before we moved here, but I have not been able to secure a full-time position. I have worked part-time and temp jobs, and have found that you have to know the right people to get those.

I guess I'm just saying, there is a lot more to the U.P. than most realize.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:57 AM

9 posts, read 18,156 times
I just want to add that distance can be deceiving. I usually drive 60mpg, so it takes 15 mins to drive 15 miles. Since we don't have traffic congestion, we rarely have to allow extra time to get somewhere. When we lived in Grand Rapids, it took 20 minutes to drive 5 miles across town on a good day (with congestion or traffic jams it took longer).

Old 04-06-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiya071 View Post
I live in the western U.P. and have to say that there are huge differences across the peninsula, and you can't judge the whole place by 1 or 2 cities.

We have "snowbelts." Higher elevations get more snow and and areas within 30 miles of Superior get lake effect snow. We get both! We might get 6" of snow one day, but 15 miles either direction they get just a trace. I rarely find a need to use 4-wheel drive.

We do not burn wood, and we do not have a generator. We live in "town" (pop 440) where we have gas heat, public water and sewer. There is a family owned grocery store, a gas station, a bank, post office, senior center, restaurant, and 2 bars. We even have a tennis court, a public beach, a playground and a rustic campground.

We also have a fire department and ambulance service. We are 15 miles from a doctor's office and 30 miles from 2 different hospitals (opposite directions).

I have lived in more isolated in lower Michigan.

We were born and raised in Lansing, so we always look at their weather for comparisons, and most days, its within 5 degrees. Come winter, that makes a difference between the freezing rain and snow.

Our last residence was north of Grand Rapids, MI. We lost power there several times each year. If the wind blew hard, we'd be without power. In the nearly 5 years we've lived here in the U.P., we've lost power once, and it was for just a few hours.

Jobs ARE scarce. My husband had a job before we moved here, but I have not been able to secure a full-time position. I have worked part-time and temp jobs, and have found that you have to know the right people to get those.

I guess I'm just saying, there is a lot more to the U.P. than most realize.
Very true about the diversity in the UP. The interior is mostly low land, swampy even. Lots of ceder swamps and flat land. near the Superior shore in the western UP we have the Huron Mountains. They surround Marquette,Big Bay, Isphminging and the iron range areas. The western north areas of the UP with a view of Lake Superior are among the most beautiful areas in the Country. The winter temps are warmer than Wisconsin , but the snow fall can be extreme. Overall the UP is no longer as isolated as it once was. Sawyer International Airport will take you where ever you want in less than an hour. ( Chicago ). By road Chicago is 349 miles , MPLS. 309 miles. Green Bay 190 miles....and remember , not so cold in winter , no AC needed in summer.....can't get much better than that in the Midwest in MHO.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:03 PM

265 posts, read 801,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Most people look forward to multiple warming days in the summer , as that warms the Lake enough to swim in.
I do enjoy that one week in late August when your body doesn't go instantly numb..

Old 04-07-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf67 View Post
I do enjoy that one week in late August when your body doesn't go instantly numb..
I chose not to go into the Lake at anytime of the year...some do however. The Beach in MQT is full all summer long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan