U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 02-28-2010, 03:54 PM

121 posts, read 93,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
If I post truthfully how terrible the economy is in northern Michigan, everyone will come out of the woodwork and say I'm not being positive so I'll just get it out of the way now. I work in consumer finance in Gaylord and service most of northern lower Michigan and I can tell you the bottom is falling out of the economy up north. It's all service industry. Meaning just working 40 hours is hard to come by, let alone livable wages. There is a Meijers opening in Petoskey. Hundreds of people applied for jobs. If you are positive you'll get a job as a minimum wage cashier for about 20 hours a week.
While it may not be the job one aspires to land and spend his/her life doing, it is a job bringing in some sort of income. It's been my experience that if one didn't really need the job, they would not be going into fastfood places etc. and filling out aps.... So, in that case, I would imagine that one can't afford to be picky. As I always say, any job is better than no job. With any job, one can eat at least once a day. With NO job, it's garbage pickin' time......

And what is so bad about working for min. wage as a cashier? Again.....it's a paycheck. That means one will be able to eat something as opposed to nothing....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-28-2010, 04:28 PM

1,742 posts, read 1,961,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squab View Post
While it may not be the job one aspires to land and spend his/her life doing, it is a job bringing in some sort of income. It's been my experience that if one didn't really need the job, they would not be going into fastfood places etc. and filling out aps.... So, in that case, I would imagine that one can't afford to be picky. As I always say, any job is better than no job. With any job, one can eat at least once a day. With NO job, it's garbage pickin' time......

And what is so bad about working for min. wage as a cashier? Again.....it's a paycheck. That means one will be able to eat something as opposed to nothing....

What's so bad? At 20 hours at $8 that's $693 gross a month. Now add a $450 house payment (low estimate) groceries, gas, utilities, ect and how the hell do you expect to live? Those are the types of jobs available in northern Michigan

Unread 02-28-2010, 05:53 PM

258 posts, read 504,933 times
Quote:
What's so bad? At 20 hours at $8 that's $693 gross a month. Now add a $450 house payment (low estimate) groceries, gas, utilities, ect and how the hell do you expect to live? Those are the types of jobs available in northern Michigan
I'm sorry to be repetitive here, Scolls, but I think you're generalizing way to much about northern Michigan. It's a big place and I can't, obviously, speak about Gaylord. But, as I posted somewhere else, at age 65 I spent last year in Alcona County (smaller and waaaay more people out of work and uneducated than Gaylord area) and landed a job in a Veterinary Clinic for considerably more than minimum wage. I wish you'd speak more to your particular situation and do less generalizing about the whole of northern Michigan. You're dead wrong in many cases....like mine!

Unread 02-28-2010, 06:30 PM

932 posts, read 1,482,535 times
If you do not have any marketable skills for Northern Michigan then, for once, you are absolutely correct It's all about adapting to "The Situation"

Quote:

Unread 02-28-2010, 06:36 PM

1,742 posts, read 1,961,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
If you do not have any marketable skills for Northern Michigan then, for once, you are absolutely correct It's all about adapting to "The Situation"

Than why do people with marketable skills leave northern Michigan? So you're saying northern Michigan does not lack quality paying jobs? Who are these employers looking for skilled workers?

Unread 02-28-2010, 08:56 PM

2,456 posts, read 2,320,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dori36 View Post
I'm sorry to be repetitive here, Scolls, but I think you're generalizing way to much about northern Michigan. It's a big place and I can't, obviously, speak about Gaylord. But, as I posted somewhere else, at age 65 I spent last year in Alcona County (smaller and waaaay more people out of work and uneducated than Gaylord area) and landed a job in a Veterinary Clinic for considerably more than minimum wage. I wish you'd speak more to your particular situation and do less generalizing about the whole of northern Michigan. You're dead wrong in many cases....like mine!

Alcona county is one of the nicest, and more quiet parts of the state. I deer hunt in the area, do some fishing there. THe ausable river area is one of the most scenic places in lower michigan. Im in the Saginaw valley so its only about 90 to 100 miles from me, we sometimes drive out that way just for the day to do some fishing or hunting. Your lucky to have found a good job in that area, lucky to live there.

Unread 03-01-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:

Still again...if it's the only sort of work available, tis better to have and eat, than to not have and starve. But the days of high paying jobs are taking flight.

You do the same a many others are doing and have done, you work more than one job. You hang on to the one you have while searching for others to add to it....It's a sign of the times we're living in. Better get used to it....

Unread 03-01-2010, 09:38 AM

3,795 posts, read 4,312,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squab View Post
Still again...if it's the only sort of work available, tis better to have and eat, than to not have and starve. But the days of high paying jobs are taking flight.

You do the same a many others are doing and have done, you work more than one job. You hang on to the one you have while searching for others to add to it....It's a sign of the times we're living in. Better get used to it....
Also, I put on here a while ago and said I could make an extra $100-$300 (and more) a month easily. There are a ton of farmers markets, craft shows, fleamarkets and so on. It dont take much to come up with a homemade item, and sell it. I fortunately make my own things, and whenever I have time to do a craft show or farmers market, I can make $400 easily everytime. It takes a wanting to make it, and a little creativity...but it CAN be done! I am doing a small business show next month, and plan to make $300-$500 easily, and get many more orders.

Unread 03-01-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Also, I put on here a while ago and said I could make an extra $100-$300 (and more) a month easily. There are a ton of farmers markets, craft shows, fleamarkets and so on. It dont take much to come up with a homemade item, and sell it. I fortunately make my own things, and whenever I have time to do a craft show or farmers market, I can make $400 easily everytime. It takes a wanting to make it, and a little creativity...but it CAN be done! I am doing a small business show next month, and plan to make $300-$500 easily, and get many more orders.
What do you make? And have you signed up at the craft shows in Houghton Lake? They always have them around Memorial and July 4th weekends. It's a huge one with lots of crafting booths...

Unread 03-01-2010, 11:12 AM

258 posts, read 504,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Have you ever taken your crafts to the Harrisville show? It's just amazing with hundreds and hundreds of booths of good 'stuff'! One of the best I've been to and I've been just about everywhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan