Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 02:21 AM

46 posts, read 120,980 times

Advertisements

If people aren't aware of it, it wouldn't cross their mind. There are people living in Upstate NY who aren't aware (or choose not to be) of the history of the Love Canal and how it continues to affect the area. I only recently learned about it myself.

No, I don't believe everything I read on the internet. The information about Chemical Valley is pretty extensive. Years of information and studies. But it's not surprising at all that more people aren't aware or prefer not to know. ; )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 11:12 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea3 View Post
Thank you everyone for the info - even the info about liquor smuggling was quite interesting ; )

We're still waiting to hear if we'll get the transfer. I've been doing some more thorough digging recently and I was quite surprised to learn about Chemical Valley. Growing up in Michigan, I never knew about it. It led me to articles about air and water pollution in the areas we're talking about and some even say it's a known cancer cluster. I also found posts from a few locals who complained about gasoline smells from the burning off/release of gas from fracking and that they aren't able to sell their homes because of it. It's hard to know what is accurate and what is exaggerated. Any thoughts or opinions about this? What the hell has happened to my state? This is so disappointing to learn Michigan has it's very own Love Canal like NY. : (
I've read about Chemical Valley...it seems more prevalently spoken about on the Canadian side. They create most of the pollution, and more aware of it, it seems. I am unsure how extensive it is, or how far up and down the St. Clair River it runs though.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:26 AM

91 posts, read 136,170 times
I know it's been awhile since anyone has posted...so thought I might add. I have lived in the New Baltimore/Chesterfield area almost all my life. I have worked in Algonac before, and although I don't have a lot of experience with the townspeople in my experience as long as you avoid the trailer parks you are fine. They have a spectacular 4th of July fireworks display on the water, and for the most part people are very nice.

New Baltimore has built up a little more since 2013, and I really don't consider it "lousy". I think it is a really cute downtown that reminds me of a small country town. Everyone knows everyone, and their shops range from bookstores, antique shops, to little diners and a historical museum. New Baltimore was actually just voted the safest city in Michigan. In the summer they have Farmer's Markets right down by the water. If you live in New Baltimore you will probably not be lucky enough to find a job though. Most people commute to Chesterfield, Clinton Township or Macomb.

Chesterfield has really expanded in the last few years. They have almost every store you can think of within a 5 mile radius. Shopping like Kroger, Meijer, Walmart, and Target are all like 2 miles away, and the area of 23 Mile and Gratiot is very busy with craft stores like Joann, Michaels, and a new Hobby Lobby that just moved in. There is also a Lowe's and Home Depot there too, not to mention countless places to eat.

Macomb and Clinton Township are also very busy, and great places for employment as Hall Rd (M-59) has everything from car dealerships, factories, insurance agencies and a hospitals. I live in Chesterfield and commute to Clinton Township and it is a 20 minute drive.

Well I hope that helps. Please feel free to message me if you have any other questions, I would be happy to answer as best I can!

Old 04-07-2015, 05:33 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,824,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita Lebeck View Post
I know it's been awhile since anyone has posted...so thought I might add. I have lived in the New Baltimore/Chesterfield area almost all my life. I have worked in Algonac before, and although I don't have a lot of experience with the townspeople in my experience as long as you avoid the trailer parks you are fine. They have a spectacular 4th of July fireworks display on the water, and for the most part people are very nice.

New Baltimore has built up a little more since 2013, and I really don't consider it "lousy". I think it is a really cute downtown that reminds me of a small country town. Everyone knows everyone, and their shops range from bookstores, antique shops, to little diners and a historical museum. New Baltimore was actually just voted the safest city in Michigan. In the summer they have Farmer's Markets right down by the water. If you live in New Baltimore you will probably not be lucky enough to find a job though. Most people commute to Chesterfield, Clinton Township or Macomb.

Chesterfield has really expanded in the last few years. They have almost every store you can think of within a 5 mile radius. Shopping like Kroger, Meijer, Walmart, and Target are all like 2 miles away, and the area of 23 Mile and Gratiot is very busy with craft stores like Joann, Michaels, and a new Hobby Lobby that just moved in. There is also a Lowe's and Home Depot there too, not to mention countless places to eat.

Macomb and Clinton Township are also very busy, and great places for employment as Hall Rd (M-59) has everything from car dealerships, factories, insurance agencies and a hospitals. I live in Chesterfield and commute to Clinton Township and it is a 20 minute drive.

Well I hope that helps. Please feel free to message me if you have any other questions, I would be happy to answer as best I can!
This post is spot on.....who said New Baltimore was "lousy"? Along M29...there are a few good restaurants too... more than a few...It is a lovely drive....St Clair River is so blue..summer is the best up that way.Now that I live in Tennessee I will miss that!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan