Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 09:45 AM

259 posts, read 703,683 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the response, I am sure it has something to do with most places in the west being more concentrated with smaller yards (and less trees)...and privacy issues. I do prefer no fences- much more welcoming and uniting for a neighborhood.

Unfortunately my dogs were raised with fences, and don't know any better than to wander off without them. I'm going to have to invest in some tie-outs I guess, I'm struggling to find rentals with fences for affordable pricing. (Looking at Grand Rapids and Muskegon area for rentals)

I definitely do not want to appear anti-social or build an 'ugly' fence when I finally do purchase a property - but I'm not sure my dogs are trainable at their old age, and they would certainly run off after a rabbit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 11:03 AM

271 posts, read 664,650 times
I see a lot of fences around here.

When I think "fence", I think of something of an open space design than you can see through.

A solid wall, I don't see that much around here except around junkyards.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:19 PM

249 posts, read 503,967 times
I think the real answer is that people in the south and west tend to be more independant and not want a community feel. The midwest is more community-minded. The politics of each place tend to support that thought.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:25 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
WE do not have a fence because:

1. It is too expensive ($12,000)

2. The Deer and other animals would get trapped.

3. If our dog starts to run off our property, we call him back (we did put in an invisible fence, but it did not work out well).

Come to think of it, invisible fences are very common for people with dogs. We did nto like ours, it made our dog neurotic. He woudl not go with us down the driveway to go for a walk, when we took him someplace in the car, he would refuse to go more than abot 20 to 30 feet form the car - obviously afraid of an invisible fence zap if he gets too far away.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:09 AM

1,636 posts, read 2,141,218 times
Fences are not common in upscale neighborhoods around the Detroit area too much. You will usually see iron fences around pools. But in terms of having fences in a subdivision with nicer homes, you won't see too many. It is not perceived as desirable - people prefer a more flowing look for their neighborhood instead of being chopped up by fences all over. Secondly, people in the Detroit area prefer to plant trees or shrubs for privacy. Third, the lots are large enough that people don't feel a need to have a fence to provide them privacy. However, in the inner ring older working-class suburbs, you will find fences.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:12 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,590,261 times
I can't say that I've ever noticed any odd number or lack of fencing here in Michigan. Almost everyone in the cities has a fence. In the suburbs and country, not very often, because it breaks up the landscape. Nice (or at least clean) yards are a big deal for a lot of people, and as long as their neighbors don't bother them a fence is sort of unnecessary. As far as keeping dogs, a lot of people don't fence them in, they just train them to stay in their yard, or they put them on a leash. Depends on the breed of course but most people in the suburbs don't have breeds like pitbulls.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:55 AM
mcq

337 posts, read 672,680 times
I've hardly ever been in neighborhoods where most don't have a fenced in backyard. And with the pets they keep, you definitely will be glad that they do have them. The areas I'm most familiar with are Dearborn Heights/Dearborn/Taylor/Wayne/Allen Park/Westland/etc. Areas like Royal Oak, Birmingham, etc and of course rural areas may be different. The majority are standard 4 foot chain link fences, with a few privacy fences scattered about.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:31 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
When I lived in the Detroit south burbs we all had fences but although it was considered suburbs of Detroit, they were very much cities so the lots were small and everyone had a fence. I have some family that live north of Detroit in some pricy subdivisions and fences are not allowed. One relative has an invisible fence for her dogs, her neighbor does not and that neighbor's dogs come over and poop on her deck.

When we moved to Indiana, most of the newer subs do not have fences. This bothered us because we have dogs and I like my property fenced off. Mostly people don't install them due to cost because our lots are pretty large here. Some of the HOAs around here don't allow them or they have to be a specific kind of fence. Generally vinyl. We were fortunate that the house we chose did have a fence. It's chain link and colored so it blends into the landscape. I am sure it was very expensive to install. It doesn't really keep wildlife out. We have had some deer in the yard, along with raccoons and coyotes but for the most part the wildlife roams everyone else's yards since they don't have fences. I am glad we do not have an invisible fence because the kids around here run through neighbors yards. I know we would have a problem with kids bothering our dogs. Our neighbor behind us has an invisible fence. Often I see their dog run after a squirrel and make it out of the perimeter and then too afraid to go back. Fences make good neighbors

Old 07-07-2016, 05:30 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
We live in a subdivision in a small town in SE Michigan and no one here has a fence. Personally, I like the wide open feel of no fences, although split rail fences don't bother me because they still provide a wide open feel.

We lived in a suburb of Phoenix, AZ for a while a few years ago and I never did get used to how each tiny back yard was walled in by a six foot, painted cinder block fence. There was plenty of privacy for sure, but it was so ugly and kept neighbors from socializing, even talking over the fence, since they were not even fences, just big, ugly, concrete walls. None of the neighbors on our block ever visited with each other, everyone just came home, pulled into their garage, shut the door, and that was the last you saw of them, as they were all hidden by their big, ugly concrete walls.

That was only one of the things that I could not adjust to in Phoenix. It's a nice place to visit, but...

Old 07-08-2016, 01:27 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
We live in a subdivision in a small town in SE Michigan and no one here has a fence. Personally, I like the wide open feel of no fences, although split rail fences don't bother me because they still provide a wide open feel.

We lived in a suburb of Phoenix, AZ for a while a few years ago and I never did get used to how each tiny back yard was walled in by a six foot, painted cinder block fence. There was plenty of privacy for sure, but it was so ugly and kept neighbors from socializing, even talking over the fence, since they were not even fences, just big, ugly, concrete walls. None of the neighbors on our block ever visited with each other, everyone just came home, pulled into their garage, shut the door, and that was the last you saw of them, as they were all hidden by their big, ugly concrete walls.

That was only one of the things that I could not adjust to in Phoenix. It's a nice place to visit, but...
I have family in AZ and they have told me the same thing. They don't know any of the neighbors. Sometimes they see them now and again. I thought it was kind of amusing because the houses are so tightly packed together. I don't know really know my neighbors where I live though. Everyone seems to keep to themselves except for two busy body buddies and get bored and want to gossip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan