U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-27-2010, 06:15 PM

154 posts, read 268,878 times
Default Which town would you choose?

Please compare Traverse City, Marquette and Petoskey in regards to quality of life, cost of living, good schools, access to outdoor fun, nightlife, family oriented fun and in your opinion the best place to raise a family. Have spent a lot of time in TC but never visited Marquette or Petoskey. Is one community more for retirement age people than the others?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 09:56 PM

809 posts, read 1,049,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadejoe View Post
Please compare Traverse City, Marquette and Petoskey in regards to quality of life, cost of living, good schools, access to outdoor fun, nightlife, family oriented fun and in your opinion the best place to raise a family. Have spent a lot of time in TC but never visited Marquette or Petoskey. Is one community more for retirement age people than the others?
Petoskey is my hometown (we live 20min from there). If you want a real quick description I'd say TC is where Petoskey will be in another 15yrs in terms of development. Ptown is just like TC on a smaller scale. On the level of access to outdoor fun, the nod goes to Petoskey. Everything is closer.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:09 PM

7,089 posts, read 8,233,422 times
Which town would you choose?

Were I retire-ing, I would go to a warmer climate, somewhere around S. Carolina, or, if you still wanted to experience an "almost a winter, but not really" you could find a coastal town in Virginia.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:47 AM

We are no where near retirement age. We are a married couple in our early 30's with young kids so we are looking for a family friendly area and we love Michigan. While we often consider southern states, Michigan is always in the running for us. We love the outdoors and like to spend most of our free time camping, skiing, hiking, swimming, boating, fishing . .. . and would like to raise our kids to love the outdoors and live in a place with good schools and while we have mostly always lived in lower Mich, we really love "up north" and so we are just looking for some insight on those three communities I mentioned.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:10 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,824,164 times
I can't speak about Petoskey other than I have heard it is really nice. But being 42 with two kids I have also considered UP north life. I would never move them into the U.P at their ages but Traverse City is in my eyes a near perfect city. I have read they have great schools, the view of the bay in so many places is a huge bonus in my opinion. There are so many kinds of neighborhoods you pretty much have your choice of the type of house and community you would like to live. Want some extra property and privacy you can live on the outskirts. You want an older fixer upper they are there. Brand new huge homes in good size subdivisions no problem. Or if you love a gorgeous older home with a ton of personality buy in the downtown area. Beaches, skate park, parks, the bay, festivals a nice downtown and being close to every activity you could want in Michigan makes TC a great place to live. My wife will be a nurse in just under 2 years. I hope to be able to convince her to make the move to TC because I love the area so much. Oh and if you need shopping and restaurants you have an abundance of those too. Oh and it's safe. Yep I'd move there in a heartbeat.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:20 AM

3,859 posts, read 4,815,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
I can't speak about Petoskey other than I have heard it is really nice. But being 42 with two kids I have also considered UP north life. I would never move them into the U.P at their ages but Traverse City is in my eyes a near perfect city. I have read they have great schools, the view of the bay in so many places is a huge bonus in my opinion. There are so many kinds of neighborhoods you pretty much have your choice of the type of house and community you would like to live. Want some extra property and privacy you can live on the outskirts. You want an older fixer upper they are there. Brand new huge homes in good size subdivisions no problem. Or if you love a gorgeous older home with a ton of personality buy in the downtown area. Beaches, skate park, parks, the bay, festivals a nice downtown and being close to every activity you could want in Michigan makes TC a great place to live. My wife will be a nurse in just under 2 years. I hope to be able to convince her to make the move to TC because I love the area so much. Oh and if you need shopping and restaurants you have an abundance of those too. Oh and it's safe. Yep I'd move there in a heartbeat.
Your right. I love Marquette, but probably not for everyone, and Petosky is right up there, but with TC you are so close to everything, and its really exciting! I love that its close to lake michigan and all those great little towns over that way. We are also looking at that area, maybe more around Interlochen, but so many choices! I also love that its reasonably close to the Au-Sable river area which is my one of the most beautiful parts of Michigan.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:38 AM
YAZ

6,131 posts, read 6,500,902 times
Three great towns, but I prefer Marquette.

With me, it's a Lake Superior/U.P. thing.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:41 AM
YAZ

6,131 posts, read 6,500,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Your right. I love Marquette, but probably not for everyone, and Petosky is right up there, but with TC you are so close to everything, and its really exciting! I love that its close to lake michigan and all those great little towns over that way. We are also looking at that area, maybe more around Interlochen, but so many choices! I also love that its reasonably close to the Au-Sable river area which is my one of the most beautiful parts of Michigan.
Mesick.

World class mushrooms everywhere.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:54 AM

809 posts, read 1,049,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Mesick.

World class mushrooms everywhere.
Yeah, and Cadillac is nearby

Old 02-28-2010, 12:17 PM

hey YAZ, can you elaborate a bit on why you prefer Marquette?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan