U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-13-2010, 02:49 PM

16 posts, read 32,776 times
Default can anyone tell me anything about east lansing, at all?

Any comments of info about the town/city would be appreciated, we might be moving there, thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 03:06 PM

3,859 posts, read 4,810,495 times
East Lansing is home to Michigan State University, so it is mainly a college town. There are some nice places to eat and plenty of things to do. I worked there years, and years ago and I had an absolute blast! Especially on game day (football), there was always an exciting buzz in the air and people everywhere! When the students leave for the summer its way more relaxing and far less crowded. I love East Lansing myself! There are plenty of nice places to eat and shop on the perimeters of East Lansing also like Okomos, Haslett and Lansing. If you want to get away from it all, just hop on 127 and head north to Gods country!

Last edited by michmoldman; 03-13-2010 at 03:17 PM..

Old 03-14-2010, 10:12 AM

thank you, can anyone else add any input, ik there have been 21 views but only one post!

Old 03-14-2010, 05:05 PM

117 posts, read 217,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
East Lansing is home to Michigan State University, so it is mainly a college town. There are some nice places to eat and plenty of things to do. I worked there years, and years ago and I had an absolute blast! Especially on game day (football), there was always an exciting buzz in the air and people everywhere! When the students leave for the summer its way more relaxing and far less crowded. I love East Lansing myself! There are plenty of nice places to eat and shop on the perimeters of East Lansing also like Okomos, Haslett and Lansing. If you want to get away from it all, just hop on 127 and head north to Gods country!
He summed it up well. It is a nice place to live. The community is large enough to have plenty of activities and fun places to go, but it also borders some peaceful rural areas if you prefer the peace of the countryside. I lived in Okemos just a few minutes away from MSU's campus and I enjoyed it.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:11 AM

222 posts, read 514,989 times
Default More Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewta4 View Post
thank you, can anyone else add any input, ik there have been 21 views but only one post!
It might help if you told us more about you and what you are interested in doing. Do you like the outdoors? Movies? Festivals?

Are you a single person in your 20s or a married couple in your 40s with three teenagers?

Like anywhere, East Lansing is not for everyone. It can be more expensive to live there because of the university and can also be a little noisier because of the students, in some areas.

It's hard to tell you more without more info from you.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:03 AM

147 posts, read 343,293 times
We lived in the East Lansing area for years and my husband is from there. You won't find a more beautiful campus! Horticultural gardens, the Red Cedar river, tons of well-preserved old trees...it's a walkers paradise.

Nothing like game day in the fall, the entire town is excited, and if you live anywhere near the campus, you can hear the ROAR of the stadium crowd, and the marching band.

East Lansing is a small strip of college type stores and pubs and all your typical canned eateries.

A wonderful store to shop in is on Trowbridge, called "Goodriches". The best butcher in the area. Delicous baked goods and every style of food you can possibly imagine. I have bought many Birthday and Christmas presents there! Also, fabulous BEER and WINE department with very knowledgable people who work there. I really miss that store.

If you are musically inclined, the best store to go to is, "Elderly"s which is off Grand River on Washington Street in Lansing. Stan Werbin is the owner and very knowledgable about instruments and bluegrass banjo in particular. (I used to volunteer at his annual Banjo Workshop Camp!)

Mason is a quaint town to shop in and visit. I personally dislike the town of Okemos, to me it is just a major traffic jam all the time and strip malls.
It is really built on a swamp and has nothing go for it.

Hope this helped you.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:26 AM

i myself am a high school student, and I have 3 younger brothers and my dad is moving there because he got a new job, my parents are in their young to mid 40s,

Old 03-15-2010, 09:19 AM

30,846 posts, read 35,900,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineHallGirl View Post
We lived in the East Lansing area for years and my husband is from there. You won't find a more beautiful campus! Horticultural gardens, the Red Cedar river, tons of well-preserved old trees...it's a walkers paradise.

Nothing like game day in the fall, the entire town is excited, and if you live anywhere near the campus, you can hear the ROAR of the stadium crowd, and the marching band.

East Lansing is a small strip of college type stores and pubs and all your typical canned eateries.

A wonderful store to shop in is on Trowbridge, called "Goodriches". The best butcher in the area. Delicous baked goods and every style of food you can possibly imagine. I have bought many Birthday and Christmas presents there! Also, fabulous BEER and WINE department with very knowledgable people who work there. I really miss that store.

If you are musically inclined, the best store to go to is, "Elderly"s which is off Grand River on Washington Street in Lansing. Stan Werbin is the owner and very knowledgable about instruments and bluegrass banjo in particular. (I used to volunteer at his annual Banjo Workshop Camp!)

Mason is a quaint town to shop in and visit. I personally dislike the town of Okemos, to me it is just a major traffic jam all the time and strip malls.
It is really built on a swamp and has nothing go for it.

Hope this helped you.
As another CNYer that went to MSU in the mid 90's, it is a beautiful campus. There are plenty of events going on to sporting events, concerts, symphony orchestra, lectures, speakers and so on.

Downtown East Lansing has some nice restaurants, cafes, music/record stores and other forms of nightlife.

It's a generally safe college town and when I was going to school there, I could walk around town by myself with no problems.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:30 AM

147 posts, read 343,293 times
Hi CKH! Good to see you here in the Michigan forum!!

Yes, Michigan State University is a fun place to hang out. Both my parents and my older sister AND my husband went to college here. Beautiful old ivy-covered brick buildings on the campus too.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:15 PM

30,846 posts, read 35,900,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineHallGirl View Post
Hi CKH! Good to see you here in the Michigan forum!!

Yes, Michigan State University is a fun place to hang out. Both my parents and my older sister AND my husband went to college here. Beautiful old ivy-covered brick buildings on the campus too.
Yup and the Red Cedar running through the campus makes it seem like its a city within a city. I stayed in Phillips Hall when I went there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan