U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 08:52 PM

736 posts, read 991,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
I read about this in my "weird Michigan" book, then seen this story the other day.
Phantoms and Monsters: Paranormal, UFOs, Cryptids and Unexplained Phenomena
the 'hum' is happening all over, not just Michigan....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 12:55 PM

1,422 posts, read 1,308,176 times
Our church has a week long bible camp which at the time was located at Pine Trail Camp in Sagatuck. There was one kid, kind of a trouble maker, liked getting attention...ya know. It was toward the end of the week and we had all gathered out door meeting area, primitive pine benches and a big fire pit in the center a stones throw from the Kalamazoo River, and this was kind of a special night, the night where the counselors, and campers would share their testimonies. Well the kid that I mentioned earlier was giving his testimony next to the fire. He stops mid sentence, and I remember the look of sheer horror came over his face, he started screaming at the top of his lungs, telling satan to leave him. We all knew this kid, and we were thinking at first that he was doing it to get a scare out of us, but after a while seeing him shaking and screaming almost to the point of tears had us terrified. It was a long quiet scary walk back through the woods to get back to some of the cabins.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:52 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,888,142 times
Reading some of the earlier posts triggered a memory of something that happened to me while riding my brother in laws quad. I used to have property in Frederic, about 2 miles into the woods off a two track. My buddies and I were meeting for a week of camping and partying and I took my brother in laws Warrior up with me a couple days early. I was out riding one day and had to be several miles into some woods down some dirt roads and two trackers I had never been on. I pulled over took off my helmet, leaned back on the tank and lit a cigarette. As I sat there it was sooooo quiet. A very calm and kind of hot day. In the woods off to my left I heard a crunch, like a foot dropping on some dead branches. Then followed slowly by another, then another. I could tell whatever it was was getting closer each step and I could hear branches being moved like something was walking through them. I did not see anything and did not stick around to find out what the hell it was. I fired up the motor, threw on my helmet, turned around and boogied. It was such a strange silence before that. So quiet while I was sitting there I kept hearing light splashing and oddly enough there were frogs in a puddle about 10 feet from me. I thought it was a strange for frogs to be this far into the woods away from any lakes or ponds that I knew of. All I know is I was not alone out there, not sure if it was a bear or what. But the steps sounded like something that walked on two feet. Not saying it was a Bigfoot, but I have my doubts about it being anything on 4 legs.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:00 PM

337 posts, read 561,068 times
There have been stories for at least the last 50 years about Melonheads in the Allegan Forest area. The Allegan Forest is a large state forest around the Kalamazoo River from Allegan to Saugatuck. The story is that there are strange people with large heads that live a feral life in the forest. There was a German POW camp there and some say there were escapees who hid in the forest, that might be the source of the sightings. Or maybe the Melonheads are something that is not human.

I don't really believe this story but I have heard it mentioned by many different people in the area. Honestly, I don't really know what they mean when they say Melonhead but usually people are not joking around when they talk about it, they seem kind of fearful and superstitious and try to warn you against going into the forest. I have spent some time hunting, fishing and camping in the Allegan Forest but have never seen a Melonhead.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:33 AM

1,422 posts, read 1,308,176 times
Kind of surprised no on mentioned the mellow heads earlier

Old 11-06-2011, 10:40 AM

826 posts, read 721,353 times
I've never heard a thing about these "melonheads" before. It's sure interesting.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:42 PM

3,903 posts, read 4,990,333 times
I even seen a Facebook page about the melonheads...but looked like it hadnt seen much action for a few years.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:05 PM

I don't think the melonhead story is as well known as the dogman saga.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:38 PM

3,903 posts, read 4,990,333 times
My brother still cant tell me this story with a scared look come over his face...and he is an ex-Marine. When he was younger, him and his buddy...(still in the marines) were riding their bikes down a back road near where we grew up...about 2am. They got near, and then past some very tall trees by the road, when he said they heard something jump out of the tree, land in the grass..and start chasing them down the road. He said they were both scared crapless, and did not dare turn to look what it was.
He tells me they went as fast as they could for another couple miles before they could catch their breath and wonder what had chased them. We ruled out a person, because these trees were huge...and the nearest branches were at least 15 feet off the ground.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:28 PM

mmm,

This story makes me think of that old "Gargoyle" movie from back in the 70s. The gargoyle started chasing people in a car and jumped on top the hood. I don't know but maybe it pays to stay away from the woods during the night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan