Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 03:42 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,421,387 times

Advertisements

RAMA, Ont. - Gordon Lightfoot says the families of some of the crewmen of the Edmund Fitzgerald are pleased he's changed the lyrics to his iconic song about the mysterious ship sinking in Lake Superior 35 years ago.

At least in a live setting.

CANOE -- JAM! Music: Lightfoot changes 'Edmund' lyric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 10:04 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,884,529 times
Interesting story. Gordie is my all time favorite...since I saw him the first time in concert...Chicago , 1975. I encourage all to visit the Shipwreak museum at Whitefish Point at lest once...its worth the time and the trip.

I will never forget the time crossing the plains of Saskatchewan, racing aside the rails in my motor home as the CP was westward bound...and " Railroad Trilogy" playing loud from my tape deck....Some moments are never to be repeated...this was one of those times.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:20 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,332,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I encourage all to visit the Shipwreak museum at Whitefish Point at lest once...its worth the time and the trip.
Be sure to check out the exhibit at the Valley Camp, a floating maritime museum aboard a retired Great Lakes freighter, in Sault Ste. Marie. I am not sure if he is still there, but at my last visit, the director of the museum was the retired USCG captain who led the search for the Fitz. They also have a wonderful bookstore if you are interested in reading about the Great Lakes, shipping, etc.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Be sure to check out the exhibit at the Valley Camp, a floating maritime museum aboard a retired Great Lakes freighter, in Sault Ste. Marie. I am not sure if he is still there, but at my last visit, the director of the museum was the retired USCG captain who led the search for the Fitz. They also have a wonderful bookstore if you are interested in reading about the Great Lakes, shipping, etc.
The Great Lakes shipping history is a wonderful heritage we all have in Michigan and the other states,provinces that border the big water. It is a surprise to many that our Inland oceans rival any other areas of the world in volume and importance..... This months issue of " Lake Superior Magazine" , has a great story on the Ryerson vessel that is now dry docked in WI. and may return to service. A very sleek and modern design vessel.This year may be a great season they say. The demand for iron ore and other commodities is at an all time high . We get several Ships a day in Marquette. I find it a refreshing mini adventure to go down to the north harbor and watch every afternoon in the summer.
The shipping season has started. With all the warm weather , the Coast gard has not had to go around and open up all the ports on the Lakes this year...quite a saving in cost , especially when thy cut the CG budget ...what a misguided cost cutting program, but thats another subject.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:22 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,332,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
the Coast gard has not had to go around and open up all the ports on the Lakes this year...quite a saving in cost , especially when thy cut the CG budget ...what a misguided cost cutting program, but thats another subject.
Tell me about it. I suspect we could have quite a lively discussion, and be in complete agreement!

Old 03-29-2010, 04:41 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,162,620 times
I'm not sure I get it - just because the hatch covers caved in doesn't mean they weren't secured - couldn't the rogue wave cause something to happen that caved in the hatches? the new line doesn't flow at all

Old 03-29-2010, 06:34 PM

358 posts, read 1,058,378 times
Maybe he should change the part about going to Cleveland, when in fact she was bound for Detroit.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:51 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,867,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I'm not sure I get it - just because the hatch covers caved in doesn't mean they weren't secured - couldn't the rogue wave cause something to happen that caved in the hatches? the new line doesn't flow at all
Yeah...I thought the same thing. Saying "the main hatchway caved in" does not sound like its implying human error at all.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:51 PM

There was talk at the time , that the crew might not have secured the hatch bolts on some of the covers. The realities to this day have centered around... contended that it was not so. Remember , there were no survivors, and many of the relatives felt the memory of their lost ones was being accused unjustly. I guess the rummer has been put to rest.....not human error.....now , I need to check out His tour schedule........

Old 03-29-2010, 07:51 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,582,222 times
My dad was in the USCG for over 30 years. While stationed in Charlevoix, his ship, the USCG Cutter Sundew was sent out on a rescue mission for the Carl D. Bradley. I wasn't born yet, but my dad later told me about it, and I also read a lot on it. Terrible terrible November night on the Great Lakes.

SS Carl D. Bradley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan