U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 04:06 PM

15 posts, read 40,994 times
Default Moving to SE Mi: Water Well Questions

I am getting ready to move to Southeast Michigan (Clarkston Area). The house I am looking at has well water and city sewers. I know nothing.. zippo about Water Wells and am very scared about buying a house with a well.
The House inspection just came back and this is what It said about the well:
WELL INSPECTION:
There was an on-site water supply system. The visible well casing was located on the rear yard and was in a concrete pit 4'-5' below grade. The well cap appeared to be
watertight and vermin proof. A yield test was performed to determine the gallons per minute (GPM). The test yielded approximately 7 GPM. This is considered to be below
average by today's standards. The storage tank was a Well-X-Trol. The tank appeared to be functional as cycling
was approximately 65 seconds. The pressure gauge located in the pit at the well and was not evaluated. (waiting for the water test to come back from the lab)

I also know that the water pressure was tested at 30 to 40 pounds per square inch. There is a water softener but it was empty of salt and not turned on. When I filled the bath tub up the water was brownish, and the toilet tanks were iron/rust stained. I assume this is due to the treatment tank being turned off.

• Does anyone know anything about wells here?
  • Is this report bad or good?
  • That well seems aweful shallow (house was built in 1967 but the current owner never lived there and doesn't seem to know anything about the house).
  • How much would it cost if you have to get a new well? (estimate)
  • are you supposed to or can you install other water treatment systems other then the Salt tanks?
Overwhelmed here... any info would be great. (who do you call for water wells?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 06:09 PM

12,152 posts, read 20,564,621 times
A good poster here is Driller1. She is a well driller and can answer your questions. One thing she always tells people to do is check with the health department. They keep records of water wells and can give you a lot of information. Beyond that I can't help much. Wait until Driller1 logs on and she will have a load of information on what to look for, where to go for information and maybe even the name os someone to call in your area to contact for a professional inspection.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:52 PM

15,820 posts, read 28,597,550 times
I think that Driller 1 had someone post this thread just so she could answer it. It is too perfect for her.

Seriously she really seems to know what she is talking about. Maybe you cna just hire her if she is close enough to you.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:44 PM

19,246 posts, read 15,013,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie861 View Post
I am getting ready to move to Southeast Michigan (Clarkston Area). The house I am looking at has well water and city sewers. I know nothing.. zippo about Water Wells and am very scared about buying a house with a well.
The House inspection just came back and this is what It said about the well:
WELL INSPECTION:
There was an on-site water supply system. The visible well casing was located on the rear yard and was in a concrete pit 4'-5' below grade. The well cap appeared to be
watertight and vermin proof. A yield test was performed to determine the gallons per minute (GPM). The test yielded approximately 7 GPM. This is considered to be below
average by today's standards. The storage tank was a Well-X-Trol. The tank appeared to be functional as cycling
was approximately 65 seconds. The pressure gauge located in the pit at the well and was not evaluated. (waiting for the water test to come back from the lab)

I also know that the water pressure was tested at 30 to 40 pounds per square inch. There is a water softener but it was empty of salt and not turned on. When I filled the bath tub up the water was brownish, and the toilet tanks were iron/rust stained. I assume this is due to the treatment tank being turned off.

• Does anyone know anything about wells here?
  • Is this report bad or good?
  • That well seems aweful shallow (house was built in 1967 but the current owner never lived there and doesn't seem to know anything about the house).
  • How much would it cost if you have to get a new well? (estimate)
  • are you supposed to or can you install other water treatment systems other then the Salt tanks?
Overwhelmed here... any info would be great. (who do you call for water wells?)
This well will not code. Water wells in Michigan have to be 1 foot ABOVE grade. No pits. Make them drill a new 5" PVC well.

When it is time I would be glad to help you choose a driller.

I am to far away.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
A good poster here is Driller1. She is a well driller and can answer your questions. One thing she always tells people to do is check with the health department. They keep records of water wells and can give you a lot of information. Beyond that I can't help much. Wait until Driller1 logs on and she will have a load of information on what to look for, where to go for information and maybe even the name os someone to call in your area to contact for a professional inspection.
The health department is a great source of free information.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:19 PM

12,152 posts, read 20,564,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
The health department is a great source of free information.
See, I listen once in a while .

Old 04-09-2010, 06:33 AM

If the OP can give us the county, township and section number, I can tell you if 7 GPM is OK.

Michigan has a huge effect from glacier activity. The ground changes fast.

http://www.deq.state.mi.us/well-logs/

These are records of older well logs. The newer ones the public can not see on line.

If anyone wants to share their information with me, I can get any log.

So will the health department.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:55 PM

2,544 posts, read 1,953,772 times
I don't know the section number, but if this poster is moving to Clarkston, that would be Independence Township, Oakland County. Even houses with "city water and sewer" there are actually on a community well and septic. I can say that wells in the area tend to have a fair amount of iron, but otherwise good quality.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
I don't know the section number, but if this poster is moving to Clarkston, that would be Independence Township, Oakland County. Even houses with "city water and sewer" there are actually on a community well and septic. I can say that wells in the area tend to have a fair amount of iron, but otherwise good quality.
Most of that is good water. I did go drill a well for my neurologist in that area.

That well was a drift well (rather than bedrock) with a screen.

We put in a SQE system. It is set for 20 GPM outside and 15 GPM inside.

This is the pressure tank and computer control.

Moving to SE Mi: Water Well Questions-8-31-2007-061.jpg

Old 04-09-2010, 07:14 PM

15 posts, read 40,994 times
WOW... thanks Folks... Yep this house is in Independence Township, Oakland County. .. seems to be right on the border of Clarkston. It's listed as Sec 20 Clarkston Park

I tried to look up the well permits on this property from the water division (sorted through about 500 scanned items online) but couldn't find anything.

Driller1: I know it's impossible to give an accurate estimate of installing a new well if that's what I need to do...(drilling and installing the mechanics) but any opinions on what one would budget for that? This house has some other problems too, and I'm trying desparately to figure out how much I'm going to have to put into this home if I buy it.

Also really appreciate your offer to recommend a driller in this area.

Thanks again to all that answered
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan