Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 10:31 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,453,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Thanks Cato, I will check it out! Also, my wife just talked to the employees at our local FJ this morning (Campbell and 12 Mile) and they say they are being taken over by Hollywood Market, which will make 2 of the same store right around the corner from each other. Maybe they'll shut down the other one on Main in downtown RO, but I hope not.
That's interesting - I never knew that Hollywood had such ambitions.

I did some research and found some interesting things. FJ hasn't been local-owned since the late 80s when the NJ-based A&P bought them out.

Wikipedia states, "By 1987, the company was struggling to keep Detroit area stores operating amid a strike by clerks and cashiers, who were supported by meat cutters and Teamsters. Borman's eventually bought out 800 workers at a cost of $12.9 million. This started a period of losses that would eventually prompt the sale to A&P."

A&P recently put all 66 FJ locations out to bid so it wasn't a wholesale takeover by Hollywood Market. I'm guessing that they bought the Campbell and Coolidge locations and will move their nearby stores there. FJ locations with no bids will simply close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 07:02 PM

38 posts, read 121,353 times
jeffncandace, Did'nt you get the memo, It's mandatory that if you live in RO to shop at Hollywood Market. Just kidding! I used to work in RO, and I loved shopping there, I know alot of east sider's (harrison township) like me that go and shop there. We need one over here, I'm sad to see farmer jacks go, But I would rather spend My money at a Hollywood market, Trader Joe's, or Whole Food's! We REALLY need those Alternative's over here. Consider yourself lucky You have them all! (Off topic) JeffnCandace, if you get a chance check out "TJ's coney" on 14 mile, for breakfast. And "Tavern on the Main" for burgers, and a beer!

Old 06-13-2007, 09:37 AM

93 posts, read 315,542 times
Don't forget Bush's! Country Market has also gone in the old Farmer's Jack in Saline.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:38 AM

111 posts, read 485,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathys View Post
Yet another Michigan company bites the dust. I was born here 44 years agao, and they have been around for as long as I can remember. So now what is left Kroger, Meijer, Super Wal-mart,and some independents. I will miss you.
Farmer Jacks is a terrible store.. Overpricing, poor selection, and really bad layout.

There are MUCH better chains coming in to fill the gap, like Value Center, etc.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:16 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboState View Post
Farmer Jacks is a terrible store.. Overpricing, poor selection, and really bad layout.

There are MUCH better chains coming in to fill the gap, like Value Center, etc.
I think it depends on the store. The FJ by us was very nice and was WAY cheaper than our local Kroger. Never had probs with the layout or selection either.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:17 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jst333 View Post
jeffncandace, Did'nt you get the memo, It's mandatory that if you live in RO to shop at Hollywood Market. Just kidding! I used to work in RO, and I loved shopping there, I know alot of east sider's (harrison township) like me that go and shop there. We need one over here, I'm sad to see farmer jacks go, But I would rather spend My money at a Hollywood market, Trader Joe's, or Whole Food's! We REALLY need those Alternative's over here. Consider yourself lucky You have them all! (Off topic) JeffnCandace, if you get a chance check out "TJ's coney" on 14 mile, for breakfast. And "Tavern on the Main" for burgers, and a beer!
Thanks, I will check them out! I haven't been to any of the stores you mentioned yet, except for Trader Joe's back in California, which I just discovered is here! yeah!

Last edited by jeffncandace; 06-13-2007 at 10:43 AM..

Old 06-13-2007, 11:53 AM

86 posts, read 456,812 times
I was sad to see Farmer Jack go, too. The one closest to me, in Flint, closed down several months ago. Ours was pretty nice (yes, Flint can have nice stores!), good selection, and a number of students from the Flint high schools worked there after school and on the weekends. You could tell they really took pride in what they did, so hopefully they were able to move on to bigger and better things.

We have a local chain here called VG's, which has recently opened a new location... which I guess means they aren't going anywhere anytime soon! They are located mostly in Flint/Genesee County, but they also have stores in Brighton and Imlay City. I love going there for their produce - much better than anything I can find at Kroger!

Old 06-13-2007, 11:56 AM

58 posts, read 228,365 times
Oh NO! I loved Farmer Jack...I used to shop there when I lived in Hampton, VA. That's too bad. It was a great store.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:25 PM
D_J

58 posts, read 636,129 times
I must agree that most of the FJ's that I have visited were fairly dirty compared to other stores but yet again I do suppose that it does depend on which one you visit. I like to shop at Kroger myself so that I can get the gas discount. Lord knows with those prices it definitely helps to get 0.30 to 0.50 off a gallon.

Last edited by D_J; 06-13-2007 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-13-2007, 02:01 PM

25 posts, read 186,844 times
I hate Farmer Jack, Glad to see it go. It is very overpriced, crappy selection of food. We have a fairly new store in Milford, it doesnt even have a meat counter, but it did have a fresh fish counter. Produce area is very small and limited. But what made me hate them was there prices, a simple product that cost 2.59 at meijers down the road cost 3.19 and FJ. As of now our store doesnt have a buyer so say the employes and they will close july 7. I hope another market Hillers buys this store, just have to wait and see........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan