U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 01:38 PM

15,819 posts, read 32,514,652 times

Advertisements

Fermi 2 is a nuclear plant that is in Newport just outside of Monroe. There is a oal fired plant down there too. Edison had plans to build another one (Fermi 3), but I do not knwo whether those plans are still valid or whether they built it already. However it is defeintely nuclear.

THe forst plant FERMI 1 had some problems and ws shut down long ago. I guess it was a big scare
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 04:28 PM

4 posts, read 5,605 times
I was born and raised in Monroe, I moved away a few years ago to be closer to my grandmother. At the time living in Monroe i thought there wasnt much to it, a fairly small town with an average mall and restaraunts... That was until i moved to an even smaller retirement town in TN. Now i realise Monroe has alot more to offer than i ever thought. I loved my elementary school and middle school, MHS high school was just ok, but i have some friends that went to St. Marys Catholic School and have heard good things about it. They have just about any restaraunt you want, and if it isnt there, you will prob. find it within a 20 min. drive. Theres a nice golf range with put-put and batting cages, also go-karts and a few movie theaters and a really nice ice rink. Not sure what your hobbies are but there is plenty to do. There are also alot of nice parks and sidewalks everywhere. That is def. something i took for granted before. There are no sidewalks here and no bus system, Monroe has a great bus system which is nice for those who cannot drive. I cannot say how much they have been effected by the economy becuase i havent lived there for 5 years, but all my family is there, and it seems to be about the same as it is here. People may say that everyone is more friendly in the South, but i dissagree. Monroe has some of the friendliest people around=) I hope this helps, if you have anymore specific questions about Monroe, just ask, i will try and help!

Old 05-02-2010, 07:03 AM

4 posts, read 10,096 times
I am from Monroe, MI and generally agree with how other people have described the town. I really think it depends on what you are looking for and what is important to you. I will say that in terms of decent affordable housing, you will find some great deals as the recession has hit the area hard. I attended Monroe Public Schools all my life and my father was a member of the school board for awhile. I would say the schools are average, however if you are an involved parent, your children's school experience will be even better...I graduated from Monroe High School an went on to the Univ of Michigan, so if you're children are hard working and you are involved parent, this will certainly help.

I will say others who have moved to Monroe from other places find th town is a very close community which can intially seem a bit unwelcoming to those who are not from the area. Many people have lived here all of their lives and all grew up together and went to the same schools/churches, therefore it can be hard to break into the social scene, but on the whole people are friendly and many will be curious as to why are you moving to Monroe from sunny FLorida.

I would also add that generally speaking peple are conservative, church-going family oriented and mostly white, and there is not a lot of diversity. IT is a typical small mid-western working class town with a blue collar philospophy. There are lots of Pick-up trucks, bowling leagues, and churches.

If this is what you are looking for then fine. If you are looking for something more cosmopolitan than I would say look elsewhere, or just realize that you will be spending lots of time in Ann Abor!!

Old 06-04-2011, 09:58 PM

3 posts, read 3,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I don't know Monroe the city at all.

But that highway between Detroit to Toledo (with Monroe right in the middle) is one of the uglist stretches of highways that Michigan has to offer. Just factory stacks everywher...pollutants everywhere. I dread having to take that little section of highway.

Sorry, don't know about Monroe the city itself at all....just based from the highway alone, it quickly became one spot of Michigan that I just don't much care for.
Those hideous Orwellian factory stacks are NOT part of Monroe, but the ugly, depressing entry to Detroit.

Monroe is pretty nice as far as being scenic. Downtown is lovely in spring and summer.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:04 AM

484 posts, read 542,697 times
My 2 cents on Monroe.

Do not move to Monroe unless you have a job lined up first. It was heavily dependent on manufacturing enterprises that have moved out (just like so many other places in Michigan).

Monroe does have its attractive features. I quaint downtown with some offices and specialized stores (but not general merchandise - Telegraph Road and the Mall took that over decades ago)., beautiful houses along and just off Elm street, nice old houses in many other safe areas, close to the amenities of both Toledo and Detroit, and with exurban country housing available 5 miles out of town in any direction all come to mind.

I disagree with Monroe being labeled a "Catholic city". Catholics are an important part of the community, to be sure, but Baptist churches, and "non-denominational" church that read like Baptist seem to be a bigger contingent (a large portion of Monroe's population are descendants of those from one small mountain town in Tennessee).

Traffic is a bigger problem than one would expect from a town the size of Monroe. Virtually ALL retail commerce has concentrated on US-24 (Telegraph). Traffic from the 24/125 split (north of town) to Stewart/Cole Rd (due to Meijer and Wal-Mart) and just south of the river can be total gridlock in the afternoon and all day on Saturday and Sunday.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:23 AM

3,085 posts, read 3,743,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313 TUxedo View Post
My 2 cents on Monroe.

Do not move to Monroe unless you have a job lined up first. It was heavily dependent on manufacturing enterprises that have moved out (just like so many other places in Michigan).

Monroe does have its attractive features. I quaint downtown with some offices and specialized stores (but not general merchandise - Telegraph Road and the Mall took that over decades ago)., beautiful houses along and just off Elm street, nice old houses in many other safe areas, close to the amenities of both Toledo and Detroit, and with exurban country housing available 5 miles out of town in any direction all come to mind.

I disagree with Monroe being labeled a "Catholic city". Catholics are an important part of the community, to be sure, but Baptist churches, and "non-denominational" church that read like Baptist seem to be a bigger contingent (a large portion of Monroe's population are descendants of those from one small mountain town in Tennessee).

Traffic is a bigger problem than one would expect from a town the size of Monroe. Virtually ALL retail commerce has concentrated on US-24 (Telegraph). Traffic from the 24/125 split (north of town) to Stewart/Cole Rd (due to Meijer and Wal-Mart) and just south of the river can be total gridlock in the afternoon and all day on Saturday and Sunday.
Great post, Tuxedo!

You're right, there are a lot of non-Catholic churches in Monroe, and big ones at that. I wonder what the percentages are now, because traditionally Monroe was very Catholic, with that big compound on Elm St. where the nuns live and all of the historical accounts of Father So-and-So preaching to the Indians, etc. However, and I speak as someone who attends a Protestant church in Monroe, there are plenty of people of all denominations in Monroe.

I'm curious, because I have always noticed that there are an inordinate amount of Southern transplants in Monroe for the size of the city--what small town in TN did they come from? I love history, and that really piqued my interest. I do know that the people of Monroe are some of the friendliest, nicest, most down to earth people that you could ever meet. I love Monroe. I just quit a job in Ann Arbor for a better paying job in Monroe and I am so happy that I get to drive to Monroe instead of the rat race that is AA. I really like AA, but my heart is in Monroe.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:34 AM

3 posts, read 3,596 times
Most people from Southern transplant families are from Tazwell, TN and Middlesboro, KY. My grandmother and grandfather are from there, respectively. They came up here in the Depression years to work at the paper mills and for the auto industry.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonroeMomma View Post
Most people from Southern transplant families are from Tazwell, TN and Middlesboro, KY. My grandmother and grandfather are from there, respectively. They came up here in the Depression years to work at the paper mills and for the auto industry.
Thanks, MonroeMomma, I was curious after I read that post. Now I'm going to google Tazwell and Middlesboro.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:35 PM

484 posts, read 542,697 times
Monroe Momma beat me to it - I was referring to Tazewell.

One time I just happened to be passing through Tazewell, listening to the local daytimer AM station, about the size of a garage, with what looked like a 60' tower (1250 WNTT) and at one point, they broadcast local obituaries. Two were for people who passed in Tazewell, and the other two were former residents who passed in Monroe (they said it MUNN-roe, as some in Monroe itself do - though most pronounce it mun-ROE).

Old 06-20-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313 TUxedo View Post
Monroe Momma beat me to it - I was referring to Tazewell.

One time I just happened to be passing through Tazewell, listening to the local daytimer AM station, about the size of a garage, with what looked like a 60' tower (1250 WNTT) and at one point, they broadcast local obituaries. Two were for people who passed in Tazewell, and the other two were former residents who passed in Monroe (they said it MUNN-roe, as some in Monroe itself do - though most pronounce it mun-ROE).
Yep, MUNN-roe and DEE-troit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan